The Near Future Will Bring About Wireless Tech that is 1,000 Times Faster than 4G

armedmonkey

Reaction score
Dgphotog, you are absolutely right. I'm still curious, if a factor of 2 makes a noticeable detriment to bending, how will such LARGE factors affect it?

dgphotog

Reaction score
Dgphotog, you are absolutely right. I'm still curious, if a factor of 2 makes a noticeable detriment to bending, how will such LARGE factors affect it?

I'm not exactly sure in what context you're asking about the factor of 2, but if an object is twice the size of 1/2 sound wavelength, it will see it more as a barrier or an object should reflect off of rather than something it can get around or ignore. I know this is true in sound (since acoustics is my field of expertise - I design concert halls) and I assume there is an analogous rule of thumb in energy. I believe diffraction gratings for light work on the principal of wavelength sizes.

armedmonkey

Reaction score
Sorry - I was referring to WiFi running at 2.5GHz vs 5.0 GHz. The rule should apply in electromagnetics too.

dgphotog

Reaction score
Ah. Got it. Well, if you go back to the original post they're talking about THz and even PHz carrier waves - 3 and 6 orders of magnitude smaller than GHz. The scary part to me is the talk about fuzzing the wave/matter boundary of light. Scary-interesting AND scary-scary.

armedmonkey

Reaction score
Also, reading the article... it says nothing about wireless, at all. In fact, it's talking about LIGHT, as in fiber-optics. I'm not sure where "wireless" came from. I don't think it would work for phones:)

GlueFactoryBJJ

Reaction score
Also, reading the article... it says nothing about wireless, at all. In fact, it's talking about LIGHT, as in fiber-optics. I'm not sure where "wireless" came from. I don't think it would work for phones:)

You probably should RE-read the article. :D

The entire article is about wireless technology and its potential data transmission speeds. The light reference is in the context of how to generate radio frequencies so high (petahertz and above) in chips, not over fiber, which is not mentioned at all. See the quote below: (emphasis mine)

Supposedly, Petek and his team expected to hit the 15.6 THz in their experiments, using just traditional silicon; however, the team is actually aiming much higher than that by studying coherent oscillation of electrons. They believe that they will eventually be able to achieve wireless spectrum speeds in the petahertz frequency range by harnessing "light-matter interactions". With the right materials, they could leap-frog this new breakthrough and achieve speeds 1,000 times faster than their newest breakthrough!

armedmonkey

Reaction score
Ok, so how are they going to transmit the light? Over the air? So your cell phone will have to be in sight range of a tower? Read it yourself. The only time cell phones are mentioned are by third-parties, ie people reporting on the original story iirc.

clarification: they say "wireless standards", but that's not specific. I don't see how this would apply to cell phones for the above reason. Feel free to enlighten me.

rbw62

Reaction score
Ever wonder why cars do not run on natural gas? UPS, Gas trucks, Public bus, and industrial forklifts all run on NG. Its cleaner, cheaper, and we have a supply that will last over a 100 years.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

armedmonkey

Reaction score
I'm guessing it may have to do with the infrastructure costs of augmenting gas stations with NG, the fact that NG would require a relatively large gas tank, and probably doesn't result in as much power. Diesel, for example, is not conducive to good acceleration.

52brandon

Reaction score
I'm guessing it may have to do with the infrastructure costs of augmenting gas stations with NG, the fact that NG would require a relatively large gas tank, and probably doesn't result in as much power. Diesel, for example, is not conducive to good acceleration.
acceleration? I never would have guessed given the torque of diesels. But after thinking about it, none of the supercars have ever run on diesel so it makes perfect sense. They are going to more hybrid/electric sports/supercars though. Electric cars > any other fuel IMO. Because the electricity can come from any source (solar, wind, nuclear, coal, anything)

ETA: not trying to turn this into a fuel debate. This tech for data is beyond intriguing