The Near Future Will Bring About Wireless Tech that is 1,000 Times Faster than 4G

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
cell-tower-3g-4g.jpg

It's almost frightening how quickly technology advances sometimes. Here's a case in point: a couple of times last year, we did a story on newer more advanced wireless tech called, Advanced LTE. With Advanced LTE currently in testing we have seen that within the next couple of years we could see wireless data connections that hit 600-900 Mbps. To put it in perspective, that is about 15-20 times faster than our current fastest speeds on 4G LTE. However, a new breakthrough in wireless technology has just been achieved by a team of researchers at the University of Pittsburgh that could make even those speeds obsolete in a very short time. Hrvoje Petek, a physics and chemistry professor at the University of Pittsburgh in charge of the research has recently had a breakthrough in which wireless internet bandwidth could be 1,000 times faster than current 4G LTE!

Current technology transmits data in the gigahertz frequency; however Petek's team has been able to theoretically transfer information in the terahertz frequency of the electromagnetic spectrum. Here's a quote from the BGR article with some more details,

Petek’s discovery of “a physical basis for terahertz bandwidth” could potentially be used to leverage the “portion of the electromagnetic spectrum between infrared and microwave light” and transmit data at rates 1,000 times faster than today’s wireless standards, which are limited to the gigahertz frequency. “The ability to modulate light with such a bandwidth could increase the amount of information carried by more than 1,000 times when compared to the volume carried with today’s technologies,” Petek said. “Needless to say, this has been a long-awaited discovery in the field.”

There's an interesting bit of information on the fringe of the story that is even more mind-boggling. Supposedly, Petek and his team expected to hit the 15.6 THz in their experiments, using just traditional silicon; however, the team is actually aiming much higher than that by studying coherent oscillation of electrons. They believe that they will eventually be able to achieve wireless spectrum speeds in the petahertz frequency range by harnessing "light-matter interactions". With the right materials, they could leap-frog this new breakthrough and achieve speeds 1,000 times faster than their newest breakthrough! If you are doing the simple math, this means that it is possible within our lifetime, we will see internet data speeds 1 Million times faster than our current tech. Hmmm... Speculate on this. The philosophical potentialities are endless!

Source: BGR

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Way on down the road, when I'm talking to my Grand kids, I'm going to tell them about AOL and when they first came out with Dialup, getting 56k, and we were like "Yes!! We're connected!" ... They'll just look at me and tell me how badly I'm showing my age talking about that.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Way on down the road, when I'm talking to my Grand kids, I'm going to tell them about AOL and when they first came out with Dialup, getting 56k, and we were like "Yes!! We're connected!" ... They'll just look at me and tell me how badly I'm showing my age talking about that.

Man I hear ya! I remember downloading a song and I was beside myself when it only took 10 mins lol.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
And I see us complaining on this very forum on how our phone drops data. But it'll be faster data that's being dropped. :biggrin:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
And I see us complaining on this very forum on how our phone drops data. But it'll be faster data that's being dropped. :biggrin:

right, at least when we do have data we won't have to wait for our videos to buffer... hopefully.

djsiva

Reaction score
and I had friends that thought things would never get faster than a 14.4 modem... lol... I started out on 1200 and 2400 baud modems.. :)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

Wow, the speed at which my data dropped was almost immeasurable! ;)

porsche996

Reaction score
and I had friends that thought things would never get faster than a 14.4 modem... lol... I started out on 1200 and 2400 baud modems.. :)

Ahh... V22. modems... Good times...

Forget the "AOL Memories" from a previous poster... I remember getting excited when the BBS answered and I could get tech support for a game... Back in the day when games had a 1-800 number to dial (if you were luck; some were just regular phone numbers) with your computer to get help. Sit there and wait a minute just for some text to show up on the screen!! And you could see the text in any color you wanted as long as it was green...

djsiva

Reaction score
Ahh... V22. modems... Good times...

Forget the "AOL Memories" from a previous poster... I remember getting excited when the BBS answered and I could get tech support for a game... Back in the day when games had a 1-800 number to dial (if you were luck; some were just regular phone numbers) with your computer to get help. Sit there and wait a minute just for some text to show up on the screen!! And you could see the text in any color you wanted as long as it was green...

Yup. BBS' were the hot shiz back then. Luckily I live in a big city and we had a lot locally, but I still managed to rack up some hella big long distance bills too. lol..

meishkov

Reaction score
Oh geez, bbs' were what got me started in the warez scene. Don't even think the name was around then, but it was a helluva memory back in that day. Amazing to hear talks of Thz and petahz, these r the folks That r in the laboratory when the rest r out at the bar.

Sent from my OG using DroidForums

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Oh please. All the services complain they don't have enough bandwidth. They keep raising prices. We lost unlimited data plans and have a meesily 2gigs now. This would be absolutely pointless.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, this will solve VZW's issue from a few days ago about running out of spectrum.

Also a VERY interesting competitive balance issue in the future. This would be new spectrum, I assume, sold at auction. LTE would be a dinosaur in comparison. VZW and AT&T may have the subscribers, but not the bankroll to compete with the likes of Google, Apple and probably some others in bidding for this.

On the other hand, with 1000 times the capacity they can sell-off a lot more chunks, which might finally enable some real competition removing a significant barrier to entry (i.e. instead of 5 big chunks or whatever, they could auction 100 chunks of spectrum). Of course, too much supply would probably de-value what the auction can bring in terms of $$$. So as a result the FCC might piecemeal rights, meaning nothing will change.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

I started at 150 baud, then 300 baud and man, was I cruising!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk