The Moto Z Is Now Unlocked!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Earlier today I got a pretty exciting email from Lenovo. The email announced the pre-order of the unlocked version of the Moto Z. You can now use the device on GSM carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile. The Moto Z series has suffered from a lack of availability. The phone was released as a Verizon exclusive. Carrier exclusive devices seem to have trouble picking up steam. Maybe Lenovo will see a rise in popularity of the new Moto Z series now that the phone can officially be used on GSM carriers!

I have been using the Moto Z Force as my daily driver for the past few weeks. I have really enjoyed my time with the device. Of course the best part is the modularity. While the modules are great they are kind of expensive which could be the other reason these devices have not gained much traction. Will any of you be picking up the Moto Z now that its unlocked?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
OOH BABY! I was just looking today to see if there was even a remote possibility. How cool is that?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yea i love this phone. I hate that i have to send mine back!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
yea i love this phone. I hate that i have to send mine back!
Well I'm waiting for the next best deal on them and I'll jump on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I got mine from Best Buy. Got a $200 GC that I used on Down Payment and got the JBL Speaker. Basically I'm financing $524 over 2 yrs. Still cheaper than Retail @$799.

Last edited:

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
It was always unlocked? I've been using the moto z and moto z force on different carriers ever since they released. All verizon phones come factory unlocked.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Anybody got a battery module for it? How well does it last throughout the day with heavy usage?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
No, I don't believe so. The Motorola branded (non-Verizon) phones were unlocked but weren't always able to communicate in all networks due to having only Verizon and a few other compatible radios, but more recently they include radios for most carriers globally.

Verizon branded phones have been locked to Verizon in most cases, AFAIK. Anyone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong,

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Yea that's what I thought the point of exclusive phones was, to lock them to a carrier for x amount of days.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
No, I don't believe so. The Motorola branded (non-Verizon) phones were unlocked but weren't always able to communicate in all networks due to having only Verizon and a few other compatible radios, but more recently they include radios for most carriers globally.

Verizon branded phones have been locked to Verizon in most cases, AFAIK. Anyone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong,

I thought the 700 spectrum agreement forbid carrier locking a phone.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

Device Unlocking Policy

4G Device Policy

We do not lock our 4G devices, other than our 4G Phone-in-the-Box Prepaid phones. In order to partially offset the subsidy we provide to make our 4G Phone-in-the-Box Prepaid phones more affordable to service customers, our 4G Phone-in-a-Box phones may only be used with Verizon Prepaid service for 1 year from original activation date or until payments in the amount specified on the back of the Phone-in-a-Box package are added to the Prepaid account.Once either of these criteria is satisfied, you can contact us at *611 from your Verizon Wireless Prepaid phone, or (888) 294-6804, and we will provide you with programming instructions so you can unlock your phone. If the user guide for your phone does not provide instructions to access the programming menu, we can help you with that as well.
. The phones aren't locked.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Soooo let me understand this. One can get a vzw phone and take said phone to tmo and incur switch fees etc and still use that same phone? I thought that's what they were locked for...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Soooo let me understand this. One can get a vzw phone and take said phone to tmo and incur switch fees etc and still use that same phone? I thought that's what they were locked for...
Yes as long as the phone has the radios for the other service.

Swap sim card and go.