the main thing killing my battery is the search for service!!!any suggestions?

nwwolf1

Reaction score
I know this is a long shot, and kind of a dumb question but I figured I'd ask anyway. I go to Montclair State University and for some reason (even though this is supposed to be a Verizon campus) there is no cell service in my dorm, which is where I am most of the time. So obviously this is killing my battery drastically more then anything else. I was just wondering if any one had any suggestions, other then airplane mode. As well as one other question: is it true that charging your phone while you sleep hurts the battery life more then helps it?

jimnutt

Reaction score
I know this is a long shot, and kind of a dumb question but I figured I'd ask anyway. I go to Montclair State University and for some reason (even though this is supposed to be a Verizon campus) there is no cell service in my dorm, which is where I am most of the time. So obviously this is killing my battery drastically more then anything else. I was just wondering if any one had any suggestions, other then airplane mode. As well as one other question: is it true that charging your phone while you sleep hurts the battery life more then helps it?

No to the second question. As to the service search, if the campus has wifi available you could try turning it on on your phone and connecting to it. That will keep the phone from trying to make data connections and might help with your battery life. I know it's somewhat counterintuitive, but leaving WiFi on all do, while it does hit the battery, doesn't seem to be as bad searching for a 3G signal.

kefler

Reaction score
heh my first post. I have the same problem -- at work, no cell service at all in the building. I have Wifi and it's great, phone gets notifications of stuff, GV sms, etc. But that doesn't stop it from searching for signal all day long.

OP
N

nwwolf1

Reaction score
To JimNutt:
Thanks for the help, but to the first part of your answer it definitely wont hurt the battery if i keep it charging while I sleep?

bL33d

Reaction score
i allways charge mine all night every phone i have ever owned and it does not hurt them they stop charging when there full.

bigthinker

Reaction score
To JimNutt:
Thanks for the help, but to the first part of your answer it definitely wont hurt the battery if i keep it charging while I sleep?
You have to be fine to charge all night...I would say that 50% of all people who own cell phones plug them in during the night to charge them....I have been doing this for 10+ years....Although you are probably looking for a technical answer....It just seem logical. :motdroidhoriz:

chained22

Reaction score
U can us wifi for data and then switch ur phone to airplane mode to stope ur phones from search and drainging battery as much

Sent from my Sourcery

Stigy

Reaction score
If there is no service in your room (only), grab one of those service extenders from Verizon and then you can have service in your room.

Might be a nice solution to the problem because you get longer battery life and service in your dorm room.

SupperDroid

Reaction score
There is an app called "NO Bars" which works quite well. It will shut down the radio when there is no service and turn it back on if it detects a signal. I have used it and works .

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If there is no service in your room (only), grab one of those service extenders from Verizon and then you can have service in your room.

Might be a nice solution to the problem because you get longer battery life and service in your dorm room.

I agree with this. Although the previous poster who mentioned the no bars app sounds interesting, I'd rather have the extender then rely on an app.