The last straw.

Caindris

Reaction score
Not saying I am brilliant just saying its far from a business device right out of the box. eom....

Others disagree:

Businesses share their stories - Google Apps for business

Infomercial....

read real life stories here...

the device is great for fun and work but if you need email BB is it right now.

I hope that changes in the future as I dont want a BB.

Touchdown is a great app and i am glad I got it but....

not primetime yet for email... "Yet" and I will add IMHO but in many peoples as well.

PS how long you work for google?

That's a strange argument to make. I have no doubt both Droid and BB are excellent business platforms, so far I'm loving mine for work but my company has never had a BES or ran Google Apps, we're just not big enough for it. Having used a BB and Droid for work and having Exchange 2k7 as a back-end so far I can tell you that the Droid is far superior. E-mail arrives much faster, calendar syncing, and a few more things.

Again, I can't attest to how it works using a BES or Google Apps but I see no reason why the Droid can't replace a BB in 90% of most cases. If your phone is that big of a concern then it is your responsibility to wait until your IT team has tested the phone and approved it. Not run out, purchased it, then boo-hoo when something doesn't work with your business back end.

sterdroids

Reaction score
The argument can even be made that google has a vested interest in NOT making exchange integration as good as they can since their google apps product is in direct competition with it.

Bottom line... to each his own. If your phone doesn't serve your business needs and your refuse to pay another cent for this ability, use another phone. for me, 10 bucks was a small price to pay for Touchdown. See if you can get BES for 10 bucks.

10 buck is nothing I hear you but now your basically saying google = microsoft and now its ok. We the "people" take it in the a__s!

When's the google breakup? 1 - 2 -3 years away lol

Hmm... I'm confused. Now... true... the email program won't forward an attachment, but once you view it, it's saved to your SD card. When you do hit forward, when the new compose window comes up, go to menu, hit "attachment" and if you have the free doc2go then you can go to the SD card and select the document that just downloaded and attach it to that email.

I just did this with my work email, which is an exchange based email with Active Sync and the native email app.

Gmail forwards it natively.

This didnt work so I bought TD (happily) just took me time to figure it all out.

Bottomline I do the love the Droid! Just not a fanatic!

Caindris

Reaction score
is there some way I can get the droid to let me know when I have voice mail
with audio?

Not exactly the right thread for this, I'd use the search. You could try changing your notification sound. I can't help too much because I have all my voicemails forwarding to my google voice account so it's a different setting then the default.

REARless

Reaction score
Not saying I am brilliant just saying its far from a business device right out of the box. eom....

Others disagree:

Businesses share their stories - Google Apps for business

Infomercial....

read real life stories here...

the device is great for fun and work but if you need email BB is it right now.

I hope that changes in the future as I dont want a BB.

Touchdown is a great app and i am glad I got it but....

not primetime yet for email... "Yet" and I will add IMHO but in many peoples as well.

PS how long you work for google?

No I don't work for Google, I am Director of Technology Infrasturcture for a $500 million dollar construction company. I have worked in Information Technology for 20 years. What are your credentials?

Outsourcing our corporate e-mail domain to Google for 800 users will save my company over $200K next year.

It costs $50 per user per year to have Google provide e-mail services. This includes Postini and 25GB storarage for each user.

IN ADDITION IT ELIMINATES THE NEED FOR A BES SERVER. ANDROID DEVICES WORK OUT OF THE BOX FOR CORPORATE MAIL. My point at the beginning of this whole thread.

sterdroids

Reaction score

Chon

Reaction score
I agree with what others have stated and it sounds like most of your issues are probably on the user side. I don't have problems with pdf, so I'll address the issues I did have: The OS problems, the battery door and battery life.

OS: I had some apps make my droid freeze and what not, but after I back tracked and uninstalled it was fine. If not then you do have something wrong on your end.

Battery Life: Check your settings, especially screen brightness and auto off.

Door: The battery door is easy to take off, as most of you know, and I too was having it open in my pants pockets. Since I began sliding screen towards my body its been all good. Better yet it fits nicely my shirt front pocket.

Lastly, I hate to be a dick, but if you know you will use any device heavily for work and need something absolutely dependable never go with release product. Best of luck, hopefully you will find what works for you.

Caindris

Reaction score
Sure they do lol

"Your argument is invalid because I had a bad experience my phone!"

Uhhh... nice defense there, chief.
Search the forum guy its 50% of this place

Touchdown author is LOVIN LIFE and good for him!

That's great for him. There are snake-oil salesmen and suckers willing to buy every day. Maybe his app serves a purpose for some people (my understanding was that Android prior to 2.0 didn't support Exchange?) and for those people I'm sure it works. But with all that Android 2.0 offers, all I've used it with.. there's no reason to use it. User incompetence is no trump card for technical knowhow.

If your organization doesn't want to use Droid or doesn't want to set up Exchange properly to work with droid, that's their call. Don't blame the software.

Reaction score
So it does... It just doesn't show that it's doing it on the info for the email as you send it. I didn't see an attachment showing in the forward until I opened it on my other account.

sterdroids

Reaction score
I love it your not a d-_k at all. All I said was "out of the Box". The thing will be a blockbuster for all I am sure this one or the next its great having a blast but with some work and money and third parties plus the forum is a gift minus a few.

sterdroids

Reaction score
"Your argument is invalid because I had a bad experience my phone!"

Uhhh... nice defense there, chief.

That's great for him. There are snake-oil salesmen and suckers willing to buy every day. Maybe his app serves a purpose for some people (my understanding was that Android prior to 2.0 didn't support Exchange?) and for those people I'm sure it works. But with all that Android 2.0 offers, all I've used it with.. there's no reason to use it. User incompetence is no trump card for technical knowhow.

If your organization doesn't want to use Droid or doesn't want to set up Exchange properly to work with droid, that's their call. Don't blame the software.

Fair enough on that end. I admittedly do not know enough about the tech end! If it does work great but its not user error either. I didnt make an errors I just dont have my company setting it up the correct way then. I will accept that.

Then its not a true biz device because too many people fall into my category.

atlharry

Reaction score
Ok, well we've been bickering amongst ourselves (me included), but failed to ask the OP some relevant questions...

1) what email system ARE you using? Exchange, Lotus Notes, Yahoo (gasp), etc...
2) Call quality - i actually did have some echo and call quality issues previously, but after I did the *228 trick, it cleared it up. I'm not sure if that was the actual fix or if I was just lucky or the planets aligned or whatever, but there IS a fix coming OTA. Maybe you can try the *228 trick?
3) This isn't really a question - The passion won't fix the email issue since it'll run on the same OS. It's not a HW problem, it's an OS problem.

Caindris

Reaction score

Fair enough on that end. I admittedly do not know enough about the tech end! If it does work great but its not user error either. I didnt make an errors I just dont have my company setting it up the correct way then. I will accept that.

It most certainty is a user error. If you're going to be gung-ho and get a new phone that your IT department hasn't authorized to work on your network that is your fault. The phone is still a true biz device. It works with Exchange and it works with Google Apps.

You have no one to blame but yourself if you are using a un-supported phone within your business.

sterdroids

Reaction score

It most certainty is a user error. If you're going to be gung-ho and get a new phone that your IT department hasn't authorized to work on your network that is your fault. The phone is still a true biz device. It works with Exchange and it works with Google Apps.

You have no one to blame but yourself if you are using a un-supported phone within your business.

Sure I do google, MOT, and VZW for leading me to believe that all is well out of the box. come on now!