The IPhone will NEVER get Flash

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by SSHGuru, Jan 31, 2010.

1. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

About Adobe: They are lazy, Jobs says. They have all this potential to do interesting things but they just refuse to do it. They don't do anything with the approaches that Apple is taking, like Carbon. Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it's because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5.
  2. PaulAndroidMan

PaulAndroidMan New Member

If this is true, his logic is extremely flawed. Most major sites that people use, like YouTube, use Flash. Flash is a platform, not a development. The creators use Flash to develop, not Adobe uses Flash to develop.
  3. deputc26

deputc26 New Member

Flash *is* crappy* and Adobe *is* dumb for not making it better and HTML5 will likely eventually supplant it sometime in the future. But until that happens *everyone* still needs flash support.
  4. Phoxus

Phoxus New Member

HTML5 May be the future, but I have money saying it'll have Flash coinciding with it as best friends.
  5. coolkidd

coolkidd New Member

Well, the way I see it, if HTML5 gained ground, what will it do to Flash? I just hope that we get to use Flash before HTML5 becomes the norm.
  6. PaulAndroidMan

PaulAndroidMan New Member

Exactly, Flash is already the established norm. I don't see Adobe just giving up on their most popular platform by far (PDF as the second, PhotoShop as third I believe).
  7. lschicky

lschicky New Member

wow, Jobs sounds pissy. not that I really care if him and Adobe get into a pissing match. It will be all the better when Android gets it. "What, you can't look at that site? aww sucks to be you!"

(Yes I have one to many friends who think their IPhone is above all other phones.)
  8. Phoxus

Phoxus New Member

After looking at stocks. Apple isn't doing as well
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  9. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I don't care what the future is because I don't live in the future. Apple understands that flash would hurt their video and game sales, so they refuse to allow it on any of their products (other than their laptops and computers of course). To call their new product the best way to experience the web, yet leave out flash, is ridiculous. You know Apple doesn't really believe that.
  10. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

I think Jobs is just pissed that everyone was so underwhelmed and have been criticizing the giant iPod Touch known as the iPad! Hey if he wouldn't have spent all that money on booze and new livers maybe R&D could have come up with something better.
  11. lschicky

lschicky New Member

Yeah the only people I know who were remotely impressed with the ipad were iPhone users.

Someone else posted that they thought it came down to a money/profit issue, for apple, which is likely the case. Adobe started porting their software to windows a long time ago, leaving apple out to dry a bit on now you can use other computers for heavy graphic editing programs. Which is big $$ for both adobe & apple.
  12. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

More going on about this HERE.

I say, fine with me if he doesn't want to have it. I don't think Flash is going anywhere anytime soon, HTML5 or not. Even if it's banners or less, it's everywhere.
  13. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

It fits with his "nothing should affect how my product works" attitude. He has the IStuff on lockdown the way he wants it so no one complains about the device not working right.

As I said before - The IPhone is a DumbPhone and the Droid is a SmartPhone.
  14. therock

therock New Member

I'm no fan of flash. Its just plain slow.
  15. LuN3yDaV3

LuN3yDaV3 New Member

Whether to use flash or html5 should be based on what people and websites CURRENTLY use daily. Look how long it took many sites to adopt flash content. I don't see an immediate shift to HTML5.
  16. johnflo88

johnflo88 New Member

@gentlefury:the I-BACKLASH ipad he encountered has finally got to brain instead to his liver again. I hope his ego don't get better of him and I-SHOOT himself. That control freak irritates me and I wondered why I ever bought his 2 iphones? I am so glad that there are much BETTER devices like androids to replace the apple products. :icon_ banana:
  17. barryp3403

barryp3403 New Member

Actual numbers about Flash vs HTML5

In defense of Jobs is this quote about how Flash is apparently very processor intensive and may not be the best way to bring video to the Droid. This is a quote from a recent "I, Cringley" post ( I, Cringely Blog Archive iPad, Therefore I Am - Cringely on technology )

“I did a quickie test with the new YouTube HTML5 beta. On a site that embedded a video (so Flash was used), my browser CPU utilization was 22%, and the Adobe Flash plug-in CPU utilization was 55%. (dual core macbook pro, so total CPU% = 200%).

After the video played, I watched the same video again directly on the YouTube site in HTML5. Adobe Flash plug-in CPU utilization was 4% (what it consumes just sitting on its hiney), and the browser CPU utilization was 17%.

77% vs 21%. that’s why Apple hates Adobe. There certainly may be personalities involved (with Jobs, there is always something personal), but Adobe Flash is just technically awful (this actually may be the crux of any Jobs’ hatred – he hates inelegance, and Adobe Flash is inelegant).
    "
  18. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

While more widely adopted, Flash has so many security vulnerabilities that I just cant stand it.

I'm not a fan of Apple, of course if Jobs is saying they are lazy, it can be reflected right back at him: What made the Ipad so earth shattering? Absolutely nothing, unless you live in his head ...

While I look forward to Flash on Android, I'd certainly hope it is not forced and can be disabled at user discretion.
  19. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Like it or not, Flash is a necessity for a complete browsing experience right now. Any device that doesn't use, it with no plans of incorporating it, is a miss in my book. iPad = same thing repackaged by Apple.
  20. johnflo88

johnflo88 New Member

@SSHGuru:BIG + 1 :icon_ banana: