1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

The importance of wiping

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by kiyanofosho, May 3, 2010.

1. kiyanofosho

kiyanofosho New Member

Many of you complain about problems your having. Believe it or not these could mostly be solved if you only wiped when you flashed your new rom! I flash new roms left and right. And when I do, I rarely have problems. I've had literally one common problem with UD10. I've flashed and tried EVERY rom. And haven't ran into a problem yet. I know you don't want to lose your apps, but would you rather have stability and speed over something you can easily redownload? Instead of everyone reading 8 million post in EVERY thread, JUST WIPE before you installl a new rom. It will save you and others endless amounts of time.

Currently on BB1.0

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  2. JFDroid

JFDroid New Member

Amen. I rarely, if ever, have had any issues with any ROMs I've flashed over the past 2-3 months. I *always* wipe my data & cache before flashing a new ROM. Wiping just makes sense if you want to avoid a buggy, slow and horrible experience.
  3. vinnard

vinnard New Member

Thread title made me lol. Good advice, though ;)
  4. audioman42

audioman42 New Member

Yeah, it's always important to make sure there's no sh1t left behind...
  5. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad

I thought the same thing at first. :rofl3: :rofl3:
  6. The Rick

The Rick New Member

this is very true. It makes apps like titanium backup a total waste though. I wish I could just install the data from swype, games, bookmarks. I couldn't care less about having to redownload ~40-50 apps, it takes only a few minutes
  7. RoLa

RoLa New Member

I always wipe once ;)
  8. jawa6969

jawa6969 New Member

What do you mean clearing data and wiping the cache makes Titanium backup a waste? I thought it was supposed to be the best in restoring apps, data and market links after wiping data!?!
  9. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

^+1

Thats the entire POINT of having a backup software, so that when you wipe, everything comes back just like you had it.
  10. DroidxRage

DroidxRage New Member

AFAIK Cyanogen recommends that you install apps via market, not a backup software.

I switched to Cyan and manually reloaded my Apps from the market to SD, now any time I switch ROM's, I just make sure the new ROM supports Apps2SD and I never have to reinstall anything.

But yes, wiping is important when switching ROM's.
  11. The Rick

The Rick New Member

that is exactly my point is that backup software does not always work well when going between roms. When its a minor update or something, sure it works fine. When i've switched in a major way, it never works properly and causes more problems then its worth (a majority of the time). A prime example is going from a apps2sd supported rom to a non supported one, the backup was useless and did nothing for me at all. It wouldn't even run.
  12. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

And here I thought the whole time it was to avoid those nasty skid marks. Learn something new every day!
  13. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Wiping is really subjective.

It depends on what rom are you are coming from/going to, and what changes were made between roms. Building roms has given me a much better understanding of how the rom installation works, and why sometimes it can bite ya in the ass when not wiping.
  14. phatneff

phatneff New Member

I'm glad I read this. I'm on UD10 - Updated and I was about ready to chuck my phone against a wall out of frustration! I came from BB to UD10, and I DID wipe in the process. However, I did NOT wipe prior to the update, so maybe that's causing some of the problems I'm having. I may even go back to BB, but it was running much hotter with my OC'ing and UD10 was keeping it cool. I don't want to keep switching ROM's but I would like to get the most stable ROM that allows the highest possible OC'ing with the coolest temps and the least amount of issues. Anyone have any idea which ROM that may be before I wipe and reinstall???
  15. computermystro

computermystro New Member

What I do is that I delete the backup folder on the Sd card, then re backup everything before changing roms, this has fixed all my issues with backups causing issues.
  16. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

I must say to in the past 2 to 3 months the first 2 months i pretty much stayed with bb v 9 but the last month have tried almost every rom ive seen and i wipe data and cache 2 times and have rarely had any issuses at all. i now actually wipe data and cache one time then boot into recovery and adbformat system,data, and cache. This seems to eliminate many issues i see other people talk about. i load the rom make sure calls texts and everything work then proceed to set everything up that way i dont set everything up then find an issues and have to reload the rom. this has lead to having great results in not having many issuses.
Search tags for this page

caring continuum