The future of 4K on today's flagship models

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones Forum' started by cr6, Nov 3, 2014.

1. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    What are your thoughts on 4K screen resolution? Do you feel it's overkill on a smartphone platform? Is it worth sacrificing overall battery life? Do you feel 1080P is more than enough on a smartphone?

With the latest device (Droid Turbo) not really seeing "advertised" battery life, are numbers and bragging rights worth the battery hit?
    Please keep in mind, this thread it's not intended to bash the Turbo, we all know it's an amazing device.

I was thinking, it would be a great option for manufacturers to give us a choice to toggle our screen resolution on upcoming 4K phones. We all know that 4k screens are huge battery hogs and have a major impact on overall battery life. I believe the LG G3 was one of the first latest gen flagship devices we really had a chance to witness this on. The G3 is an amazing device but, had they gone with a 1080p screen it would be one of the top devices in the battery life department. That being said, its 4K screen was the G3s main selling point, so I understand their intent, I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. G3 owners love their device "as is", so I know it's not really an issue for them per se'. I just wonder if future 4K smartphones would benefit from having an option to toggle resolution, and if said option would have more appeal. Everyday smartphone use doesn't require 4K and 90% of the time it's being wasted, (imho) so is it really worth the battery hit?

What do you guys think? With more and more phones being released with 4K, do you feel (in the grand scheme of things), that 4K on a smartphone is overkill, or is 1080P sufficient?
    Please share your thoughts.

2. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    If resolution keeps getting better and better, one would expect phones will have too as well. If you have not experienced 4K video, then your in for a real treat.
    Perhaps I am spoiled as I have a 4K phone and a 4K TV.

BTW, Apple just released the new iMac with a 5K screen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I feel like 1080 is more than enough for a phone honestly. I wish manufacturers would focus more on true battery life and better cameras in regards to Android vs "Oh our camera is better than yours, its 284,361 megapixels". Without quality, quantity means absolutely nothing IMO.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Xparent Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,823
    Nice topic:

That really is the big question: Are we willing to take a step back to go forward?

Remember when LTE phones first came to Verizon (how could anyone forget the Thunderbolt :( ) the biggest complaint was battery life. In fact early on one of the most popular widgets was the toggle widget to turn LTE off/on as we turned off LTE until we needed it. Now we are approaching the point of LTE phones getting the same kind of battery life, if not better in some ways, as our 3g devices did for us back in the day. We face the same issues as we continued to progress to 720, 1080, and now 4K.
    Early 4K devices are going to take a hit on battery life, in fact it would be better if people waited because by next year we will have 4K devices with much better battery life as we have now.
    But I do agree CR that it would be nice to toggle the resolution for those of us wanting to try and get that extra bit of juice especially if you are going to be away from a charger for weekend (ie camping).

To your question about 4K, do we need it...I mean lets be honest 1080 P was considered overkill especially for a small device. No we do not need 4K or 1080P but the reality is we want to continue to see tech push the limits to see how far we can go. It is because of that we have the phones we have now. The reality is the Motorola E has more than enough specs to be an everyday device but the reason we look at that as a low end device is because manufacturers continue to push the boundaries. The high end devices of today are the low end devices of tomorrow. Compared to the motorola Droid or Droid X the Motorola E is a beast but compared to what is out now it is inferior.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    At one time 720 was enough. So is enough really enough?

• Like Like x 4
  6. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Well played sir. Lol

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Xparent Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,483
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    It will not stop at 4k. 5k will come after. On a phone? Not necessary. Bring it to tablets instead.

With the awesome specs that today's devices are bringing to the table the GUIs are still stuck in yester year. They are boring from TW to Sense to Stock Android to iOS. Someone needs to step up to the table to take advantage of the sheer power and awesome resolutions we have. Nah, here's a folder option. Enjoy.

• Like Like x 2
  8. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,670
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Anything over 1080p on a smartphone is overkill to me.

You look at big screen TVs today and people still can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, and now they're onto 4k as well. 90% or more of TV content doesn't even support 4k and not even 50% is really 1080p.

It's one of those things where companies are getting too far ahead of where their consumers are, and developers are. Yes I'm sure if people really look they'll see the difference between a 1080p screen and a 4k screen, but do we really need it on our mobile devices? Does that text message have to be ultra sharp, because we all know common media such as Youtube, doesn't support it, heck doesn't even go past 720p on the mobile app.

I'm with Ollie, bring it to a true media device, tablets. Makes alot more sense to throw a nice resolution display on a bigger display device. Otherwise, stick with 1080p, keep costs down, and optimize apps for a 1080p screen. 4k will become the norm eventually, but they're years away and manufacturers are just trying to push the PPI hype.

• Like Like x 2
  9. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Folks, I think we're getting stuck too much in the monikers of 720 and 1080 and 4k, and failing to realize it's not the resolution but the pixels per inch that matters. Resolution has more to do with screen size than anything else. So as screens get larger, resolution needs to increase in order to not have insufficient pixels per inch, resulting in rough edges on fonts and pictures that look grainy and out of focus.

So in other words, having a 4k screen might make sense on a large tablet size display considering how close these tablets are being held to our faces, but on the phone with a 5.2 inch display is it really necessary? I would have to say no. 565 pixels per inch is absolutely outrageous on a 5.2 inch screen. Yet you have people out there saying that oh I can see the jagginess on the edges of the fonts at the 400 pixels per inch of the last phone that I had and I want something sharper.

I've said this before, walk them over to their computer monitor and point to the resolution on that monitor which may be technically somewhere between 1080p and 4k , but then look at the number of pixels per inch and based on the distance they're looking at that monitor from and see if they can detect the individual pixels with their eyes. Odds are they probably can't, and as a result, it doesn't make much sense to go for 565 pixels per inch on a full size LCD or LED video display either and therefore it surely doesn't make sense to do so on a phone that fits in your pocket.

Remember the original Droid? Well the resolution was only 854 x 480 and the pixels per inch was pretty low by today's standards (Display, 854 × 480 px FWVGA, (0.41 megapixels) TFT LCD, 3.7 in (94 mm), 16:9 aspect ratio, 265pixels per inch (ppi)), but everybody touted that screen as having such a wonderful display, and it was even being touted as one of the best ever all the way up until sometime last year.

By that time displays outstripped its pixels per inch by a wide margin and yet people still thought the Droid display was spectacular. In that situation it had more to do with the color and the white balance than anything else, although the pixels per inch on that tiny screen where in fact high for the time in technology that it was released.

#9 FoxKat, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Ratings:
    +364
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
    I remember a time when people said that 1080p on a phone was overkill. But as Foxcat stated it has so much more to do with just resolution. PPI plays a more important part in the sharpness of the screen. For me I don't really need 4k or probably 1080p for that matter. I don't watch movies on my phone. That is what my 55" screen is for. Give me a good quality, bright display with a decent PPI, and colors that are not over-saturated and I am good.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,823
    Except the tablet market is more miss at best. Other than the iPad and maybe note 10.1 I really do not see a tablet worth my money whether it be 720, 1080, 4K, or 8K . Phablets are killing the tablet market, that and the fact Chromebooks are cheaper and other than the surface 3 they are useless in everyday production for many of us.

#11 pc747, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  12. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator

Ratings:
    +8,379
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Idk guys. The 500+ ppi on my Note 4 is stunning. Differences can be rather subtle coming from a smaller screen with less pixel density, but they're there for sure. Everything is a little smoother.

Do I think it really needs to go any further than that? Jury's still out. I'm not one to watch movie after movie or show after show on my phone, but when I do watch an occasional episode on Netflix or Amazon, it looks better. Same with YouTube. And games that I thought looked great on the S4 are buttery on the Note.

I still think I tend to lean towards thinking you can't get much better than this though. As others have said, with the smaller form factor, there's only so much improvement you can make before you've just go so many pixels crammed in there that you don't really notice a difference at all.

• Like Like x 1
Search tags for this page

flagship smartphones with a 1080p screen