The FTC and FCC curious why Android OEMs are so slow with updates

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I don't believe it is something that should be policed... I am someone who feels we aren't entitled to updates. I feel we get them as a courtesy.. I know some argue that with the high dollars they spend on a device they are entitled to get updates but OEM's factor the cost of supporting that device beyond the purchase year... If they don't have to feel the need to support them I feel that price will go down.....

Don't get me wrong I love a new cool feature packed update and get antsy for them to come along but deep down appreciate the updates as a courtesy and not a requirement...

Sort of agree, unless the device has been advertised that it will receive certain upgrades. If I bought a device on the pretense that it will be receiving certain future upgrades then I shouldn't have to wait 6 months after its release for the upgrade. Sure, that's something I can battle for on my own but pressure from the FCC has a bit more clout than I do. The problem is that is not the manufacturers that are the problem. It's the carriers that feel they need to add their bs before the upgrade is released.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Again, the FCC don't give a ... about you getting Marshmallow. This is about security page and patches for things like the stage fright bug.
There are millions of phones out there still vulnerable to that.

Sent from Turbo II

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Again, the FCC don't give a ... about you getting Marshmallow. This is about security page and patches for things like the stage fright bug.

Sent from Turbo II
Yup, I agree, they could care less about my marshmallow. But I think the pressure from the FCC will affect any updates given that most include security upgrades.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sent from Turbo II
Yeah. What's up with that? I saw a thread the other day about a model finally getting the patch and I was like "wth? That's ridiculous"

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Yeah. What's up with that? I saw a thread the other day about a model finally getting the patch and I was like "wth? That's ridiculous"

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
Verizon.

The droid Maxx received in recently.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon.

The droid Maxx received in recently.
My point is even my Rezound, were it still working, should have the stagefright patch by now. It's a security patch that Android should be pushing around the carrier like Samsung does with theirs to their bloatware (or whatever). I've gotten 1 security update to my Note4 from AT&T, labeled February, and it came last month whereas I get one from Samsung every few weeks. My Stage Fright patch came directly from Samsung not AT&T.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The whole Stagefright thing was so overblown it's not even funny. When was the last time you heard of this thing affecting ANYONE? You can search the internet but you'll come up empty, because there are no known cases of anyone using this exploit .

S5 tap'n

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The whole Stagefright thing was so overblown it's not even funny. When was the last time you heard of this thing affecting ANYONE? You can search the internet but you'll come up empty, because there are no known cases of anyone using this exploit .

S5 tap'n
It didn't but still caused Google to block MMS messages on Verizon phones. Always saw downloading MMS messages until I switched to textra.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Hmmm....I've never experienced that on my Verizon device. That said, I've been using Go SMS for the past few years so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Like everyone else I fell for the hype and switched to Textra when Stagefright first came to light. But I ended up uninstalling it after a few weeks & redownloading Go after I did my own research and found out that anyone on Android 4.0 or higher didn't have anything to worry about anyway. Even for those folks with 4.0 and lower, so many different factors needed to be in place and align up perfectly for someone to even utilize this exploit, that in reality, it wasn't something people needed to worry about.

While it doesn't hurt to be proactive and do what you can to secure your device, (regardless of how serious an exploit may or may not be), IMO far too many people took advantage of this to promote their own agenda/apps.

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....I've never experienced that on my Verizon device. That said, I've been using Go SMS for the past few years so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Like everyone else I fell for the hype and switched to Textra when Stagefright first came to light. But I ended up uninstalling it after a few weeks & redownloading Go after I did my own research and found out that anyone on Android 4.0 or higher didn't have anything to worry about anyway. Even for those folks with 4.0 and lower, so many different factors needed to be in place and align up perfectly for someone to even utilize this exploit, that in reality, it wasn't something people needed to worry about.

While it doesn't hurt to be proactive and do what you can to secure your device, (regardless of how serious an exploit may or may not be), IMO far too many people took advantage of this to promote their own agenda/apps.

S5 tap'n
I switched to Textra due to what Handcent started doing on their app I'd been using for years. It just so happened they added a patch to their app right after I got it. Samsung sent a patch about 2 weeks after Textra added theirs.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Reactions: cr6