The Essential Phone Will Have An Unlockable Bootloader

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
news0530essential-jpg.77544

The Essential phone has been getting lots of Android community support. The phone includes all of the specs you would expect from a flagship device, and it includes a sleek and bezel free design. The phone sets itself apart with its modularity. It is pretty reasonably priced at only $699, and is set to compete with phones from other major OEMs like Xiaomi, Sony, and Huawei for a bit of the overall smartphone market share.

If you enjoy rooting and flashing custom firmware to your Android phone you will enjoy the fact that the Essential phone will come with an unlockable bootloader. We aren't sure how easily the bootloader will be unlocked, but this is the first step toward a thriving development community for the device. Hopefully they will quickly make their source code available as well. Does an unlockable bootloader make this device any more attractive to you?

via XDA

Attachments

• news0530essential.jpg
    news0530essential.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 4,129

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
That's a good sign ...let's make it friendly for all types of customers

7+

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6
I may be alone in this, but to me, an "unlocked" phone means unlocked bootloader, not unlocked carrier. I guess that i've had too many Nexuses.:p