The ENEMY (I think!) Heard of Conficker?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by snappingfish, May 14, 2010.

1. snappingfish

snappingfish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I, being a consumer, and relying on techie 'good guys' to keep me abreast of, and protected (via security patches, updates, etc) from attacks, was amazed after reading this article. My take is that the 'Cabal' has been outdone, at least on the most visible level, and that the writers have succeeded.
    The first I saw was HERE in a Gizmodo article, that led me to THIS article in the Atlantic.

:icon_evil:

Just interesting and a bit worrisome!

Just found this related site: SHADOWSERVER

#1 snappingfish, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I got a Mac. The Windows I run on the Mac is Vista and I have virus protection. I'm not worried about this, but it is a good read. Thanks for the heads up.

3. snappingfish

snappingfish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just looked on Macworld

You're right. All the da-daa about Mac's being bulletproof when it comes to in-the-wild worms/viruses are embellished. But the Conficker seems to be one bug that depends on a few MS Windows vulnerabilities to enter and spread, and Macworld article says that if you are running a Mac, with Window via VM or BootCamp, you should be a-checkin with Intego, or some other malware/worm discovery/defense tool. I had been running window via bootcamp, but uninstalled it a long time ago. I ran VirusBarrier when I had Windows installed, so I think I'm safe!

Sounds like a nasty bot that could be utilized for some pretty evil stuff in the future. I hope the 'GoodGuys' catch 'em!

fish