The End Of Burner Phones

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Though I have never owned one I have seen them used in the movies. I also once saw a lady walk outside of her house, drop about 10 flip phones on the pavement, and proceed to bash them in with a hammer. The infamous burner phone allows you to communicate with crooks and scoundrels with out having to worry about the fuzz figuring you out!

There is currently a bill called the Pre-Paid Mobile Device Security Gap Act of 2016. This bill would require anyone purchasing a pre-paid cellular device to register it with their identity. If the bill passes you will have to go back to searching the block for a pay phone to make your mischievous calls.

On a more serious note this could help government officials track down criminals and terrorist. I'm all about safety, but should it come at the cost of our privacy? Or does safety trump all? Also have you ever used a burner phone?

via AndroidAuthority

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Though I have never owned one I have seen them used in the movies. I also once saw a lady walk outside of her house, drop about 10 flip phones on the pavement, and proceed to bash them in with a hammer. The infamous burner phone allows you to communicate with crooks and scoundrels with out having to worry about the fuzz figuring you out!

There is currently a bill called the Pre-Paid Mobile Device Security Gap Act of 2016. This bill would require anyone purchasing a pre-paid cellular device to register it with their identity. If the bill passes you will have to go back to searching the block for a pay phone to make your mischievous calls.

On a more serious note this could help government officials track down criminals and terrorist. I'm all about safety, but should it come at the cost of our privacy? Or does safety trump all? Also have you ever used a burner phone?

via AndroidAuthority
Yes. We knocked our tmobile pre pay phones down to $2 to get rid of them so I picked one up just to try their service but I didn't use it for anything nefarious.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. Cheap smartphone with voip over wifi + VPN = not even nsa will find you.

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
Honestly, I'm wondering why this took so long. Shutting down a stupidly simple way for criminals to do their communication is DEFINITELY in everyone's best interest. It just requires everyone who wants to use communications, to register their identity. If your getting all worked up over your "privacy", then your more than likely doing something you shouldn't be doing. Otherwise, you wouldn't have anything worry about.

Also, if you connect to voice services through any carrier, your location, MAC address, IP, and device ID, IMEI, and other info is all collected during your connection. And contrary to popular belief, it does NOT take 30 seconds for a trace to find you, its instantaneous. If the NSA REALLY wants to find you, it wouldnt be hard at all. Dont get a false sense security. Its not that easy by any means.

wcjeep

Reaction score
This bill seems a few years too late. This won't even slow down nefarious activity.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
What about all the burner phones already out there? They can be re-upped online and even at kiosks. They will become a commodity just like unregistered guns. :confused:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
What about all the burner phones already out there? They can be re-upped online and even at kiosks. They will become a commodity just like unregistered guns. :confused:
Exactly, there are already so many burner phones out there, this is like putting a band aid on a bullet hole. Criminals are always going to find a way to communicate. Heck, drug dealers in NYC & Chicago have used carrier pigeons for years to carry drugs and messages. What's next, ban pigeons? LOL

S5 tap'n

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
If your getting all worked up over your "privacy", then your more than likely doing something you shouldn't be doing. Otherwise, you wouldn't have anything worry about.

Honestly I've seen you post over and over and over about privacy this security that. I'm not a tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist, I just know for a fact the government and the police have ANYTHING but my best interests in mind. They can talk about safety over privacy, it's complete and utter bollocks. The more they can track the more they require the less and less free we become. PERIOD no if's and's or but's about it. I don't do anything nefarious... I DON'T but burner phones... I think this is a bad idea.

Not to mention it'll just be something else that's going to take it's place

Caesars

Reaction score
Arguing that people are always trying to hide things when "wanting" to be private lost its legs with me a long time ago. I want privacy yet have nothing to hide from the NSA.

Either way it does seem kind of odd that this took so long to do this, the drug dealers aren't going to be happy about this!

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Jan 1 the same type of law went into effect here in Thailand. When you buy a phone, the selling agent will require your Gov ID or passport in order to activate the phone.
By May 1st, the carriers have been instructed to block and or brick any phone on their network that is not registered. Problem solved..

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Arguing that people are always trying to hide things when "wanting" to be private lost its legs with me a long time ago. I want privacy yet have nothing to hide from the NSA.

Either way it does seem kind of odd that this took so long to do this, the drug dealers aren't going to be happy about this!

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
The drug dealers couldn't care less. They'll just use burner emails or darknet honestly this won't change a thing.

Not to mention you'll probably be able to import phones and there's always voip at all the free Starbucks McDonald's etc etc wifi.... Unless they're gonna start requiring your social security number when signing on at McDonald's (Yeah that's gonna happen) this will do absolutely nothing.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If your getting all worked up over your "privacy", then your more than likely doing something you shouldn't be doing. Otherwise, you wouldn't have anything worry about.
That's lunacy. I don't know how someone can say that and keep a straight face.

Reactions: cr6