The Droid X's Speaker? :(

Reaction score
Every since I got my DroidX the speaker on it just didn't seem right. Compared to the Droid 1, the speaker on the DroidX seems horrible. I've often wondered if my DroidX's speaker is just messed up or not? I know the size of the grill on the Droid 1 is much larger, but that doesn't always mean you will get better sound, even though it would seem that that would matter.

So my question is, do any other DroidX owners find that their speaker seems real weak and definitely not loud enough? Especially if you've owned a Droid 1 and you compare how loud and clear the speaker on it is, compared to the DroidX? That is the absolute only thing on the DroidX that I dislike, I'm in love with everything else. But, I just wanted to get some feedback to see if this is just the sad case with the DroidX or if I have a defective speaker.

Keep in mind, I'm not expecting a huge sound out of a cell phone, but there is a huge noticeable difference between the original Droid and the DroidX. Thanks for any feedback :).

lkariher

Reaction score
It varys depending on what your listening too. If it's voicemail it might be a bad connection, but if it's audio files then it may be the speakers. Personally my speakers sound great and have not had any problems with them whatsoever.

Jaken84

Reaction score
Droid x volume

My x is pretty quiet for music and speaker phone verizon tech told me he also has issues with his and supposedly is a software issue from what I was told the other day but who knows

eliassami5

Reaction score
It varys depending on what your listening too. If it's voicemail it might be a bad connection, but if it's audio files then it may be the speakers. Personally my speakers sound great and have not had any problems with them whatsoever.

he is talking about the loud speaker on the back, not the ear piece which is what i think you are referring to. Motorola is aware of this and they intend to fix it in the next update. Here is the article.

DROID X Volume Issue Will Be Fixed in “Upcoming” Software Release | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

FSG1

Reaction score
Im sure it can be fixed and boosted with another update...

But yes...i agree the volume in general is very low.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've read at least 2 people with the leaked update say it is MUCH louder. (Their capitalization of MUCH, not mine.)

FSG1

Reaction score
Unless u want to be late for work...don't rely on the alarm...like yours truly :(

OP
Android Maniac
Reaction score

he is talking about the loud speaker on the back, not the ear piece which is what i think you are referring to. Motorola is aware of this and they intend to fix it in the next update. Here is the article.

DROID X Volume Issue Will Be Fixed in “Upcoming” Software Release | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Thank you so much for this, yes I was reffering to the speaker on the back of the DroidX, I guess I should have specified better. But thanks for picking up on this and a very smart and effective response, I really appreciate it :). Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you I was gone for a while working on movie and didn't have any free time except for minimal sleep. But I will definitely check out that article. I'm glad it wasn't just my phone with the problem.

After I got the 2.2 I think it possibly could have made the speaker louder, but it could just me projecting my want and it's still the same. I always was blown away by my original Droid1 speaker for how loud and clear it was then when I got my DroidX I was blown away by how depressingly quiet it was. I know it shouldn't matter but the size of the speaker hole was so much smaller than the one on the Droid1. Normally that wouldn't matter with sound if it's done correctly, but I really started to equate the horrible lack of good sound to this small speaker and made me really confused as to why Motorola would make this leap backwards??? Thanks again for all the help everyone.