The Droid Razr Screen

nadav64

Reaction score
Hi !
Well I'm new to this forum and I have some questions.
  1. How is the screen of this cellphone?
  2. Why is this called amoled advanced and not plus or regular ?
  3. I'm not sure about this but what is the difference between pentile and rgb and what is better(what does the galaxy have ?)
  4. Overall witch screen is better this or the Galaxy nexus ?
Thanks I really need answers to these questions because when i buy a cellphone i need a great screen.

PS: Is The Razr using 4460 or 4430 ?

THANNNKS !!!

DroidHoff

Reaction score
The razr uses the 4430 last I had heard (it has been debated, but the official moto spec site lists the 4430) the only difference in this and the 4460 is a very slight bump in GPU clock speed, however both phones have the same GPU. As far as screens they both have their own advantages. The GNex will have an over 300 PPI screen and be 720p but will not come with Gorilla Glass and will require more juice for that big beautiful display. The RAZR will have around around 260 PPI and be qhd or quarter hd res and be super amoled with Gorilla Glass. Both will be amazing... And have better displays than the current top of the line SGS2 display but less PPI than the iPhones retina display. Hope this helps!

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums

tno

Reaction score
Heh

I love that you sent that from your Pixi. Anyways, the RAZR uses the TI OMAP 4430, vs the GN's 4460. They're clocked the same on the CPU core so general performance should be equivalent, however, the GN GPU is clocked at 384 MHz, to the RAZR's 304 MHz, a 25% bump that will likely be balanced by the higher resolution in the GN.

The screen will be qHD, 960x540, like most of Motorola's recent phones, at 4.3" it's quite nice. It is Super AMOLED and the Advanced identifier is a recent addition to the Samsung display naming. We're not entirely sure what it stands for but we're guessing it's the qHD resolution. It is confirmed to be Pentile, but the stripe is unclear, we're pretty sure it's RG-BG, which may be an issue for those that haven't liked the Pentile screens of the past.

During the hands-on, we didn't notice anything about the RAZR that stood out in the negative. The pixel density is high enough that I didn't notice any graininess to the display, but I didn't have a long time with it. Hope that helped.

Jason

DamirD1984

Reaction score
The razr uses the 4430 last I had heard (it has been debated, but the official moto spec site lists the 4430) the only difference in this and the 4460 is a very slight bump in GPU clock speed, however both phones have the same GPU. As far as screens they both have their own advantages. The GNex will have an over 300 PPI screen and be 720p but will not come with Gorilla Glass and will require more juice for that big beautiful display. The RAZR will have around around 260 PPI and be qhd or quarter hd res and be super amoled with Gorilla Glass. Both will be amazing... And have better displays than the current top of the line SGS2 display but less PPI than the iPhones retina display. Hope this helps!

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums

Samsung did say, that they are using the same type of fortified glass, as the "Gorilla Glass". "Gorilla Glass" is just a trademark, which they would have to pay royalties to use that kind of branding on their phones. As far as more power for the display, its debatable...

Samsung Galaxy Nexus confirmed to have 'fortified glass,' not Gorilla Glass - Engadget

DroidHoff

Reaction score
I'm still quite skeptical of "Samsung fortified glass" but only time will tell. As far as energy consumption its a fact... Generally speaking screen size and power consumption correlate at approximately a 3:2 ratio. That is to say that a screen 3 times larger than another given screen will only use twice as much energy to power it. Resolution is much more of a 1:1 ratio however as you must think of each pixel as a discrete light source and at higher resolution/PPI the intensity of light from each pixel must be increased to brighten the picture as a whole. It will impact battery life whether or not its a negligible amount or not remains to be seen.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
tno,

You had a hands on?

What were your impressions? Did it feel like a very strong durable device? Was it quick? How was the display?

I love that you sent that from your Pixi. Anyways, the RAZR uses the TI OMAP 4430, vs the GN's 4460. They're clocked the same on the CPU core so general performance should be equivalent, however, the GN GPU is clocked at 384 MHz, to the RAZR's 304 MHz, a 25% bump that will likely be balanced by the higher resolution in the GN.

The screen will be qHD, 960x540, like most of Motorola's recent phones, at 4.3" it's quite nice. It is Super AMOLED and the Advanced identifier is a recent addition to the Samsung display naming. We're not entirely sure what it stands for but we're guessing it's the qHD resolution. It is confirmed to be Pentile, but the stripe is unclear, we're pretty sure it's RG-BG, which may be an issue for those that haven't liked the Pentile screens of the past.

During the hands-on, we didn't notice anything about the RAZR that stood out in the negative. The pixel density is high enough that I didn't notice any graininess to the display, but I didn't have a long time with it. Hope that helped.

Jason

clausholf

Reaction score
I wouldn't read too much into these "Plus" "Advanced" or whatever labels for the AMOLED screens, imho it's mostly marketing terms. I prefer the AMOLED screens to regular LCD or SLCD so either way it will be good...especially at the qHD res, although the new galaxy nexus will sport HD 1280x720...

DroidHoff

Reaction score
I love that you sent that from your Pixi.

hahaha!!! I had to sell my Tbolt to be able to buy this phone nexus/razr! I bought the pixi plus like a year back online for 30 bucks! Its actually a great little back up phone...lol... Damn auto forum signatures always busting me out!

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I wouldn't read too much into these "Plus" "Advanced" or whatever labels for the AMOLED screens, imho it's mostly marketing terms. I prefer the AMOLED screens to regular LCD or SLCD so either way it will be good...especially at the qHD res, although the new galaxy nexus will sport HD 1280x720...
On samsung phones "Plus" makes a difference. Without the plus its a pentile screen. With the Plus it uses Normal RGB pixel layout. So you get more sub pixels which makes text and images more clear.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've seen hands on Video's of both the RAZR and the Galaxy and honestly I think the RAZR screen looks better.