The Droid of the Future

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Big Lou, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

The Droid of the future will be an incredible device. No, I don't mean a second iteration of our beloved device; I mean the Droid we all know now but with hacks and alterations that have yet to be seen. These future hacks will open up incredible functionality....

We will be able to connect a USB hub to it, allowing us to connect a keyboard, printer, gamepad and other peripherals to the Droid. Imagine typing emails quickly and efficiently with a mini keyboard or playing emulated games the way they were meant to be played with a USB controller (such as a 360 gamepad). Driver support for a plethora of devices will be included in all major ROMs.

We will also have USB Ethernet tethering which will allow us to have wired tethering without a limited app like PdaNet. WiFi tethering will also be updated to incorporate the more secure WPA2 security standard. Speeds in both will be greatly improved.

FM Radio will be fully incorporated as both receiving and transmitting radio signals will be possible. A full GUI FM radio app will be released which is capable of pulling audio from any terrestrial FM station. FM transmission will allow audio to be played through any FM receiving stereo. Droid to Droid communications through FM is also possible allowing people to use their phone as a walkie talkie over short distances (on the same job site).

The official 2.1 firmware will be completely customized with a slew of new hacked apps. Android 3.0 will be the new target for developers to emulate on the Droid. ROMs will be so advanced that every single system image has been customized to match a consistent, new theme; Smoked Glass will be just one of the many complete graphical overhauls available.

The bootloader will be the next completely hacked part of the system. This will allow us to allow/disallow certain apps and running services during bootup; ultimately cutting the boot time in half. We will also be able to unlock otherwise closed down services that have been disabled by the stock bootloader. Services like the above mentioned USB Host mode will be activated and fully exploited.

So, what do you think of this utopian Droid future? Do you believe this all will come true... or am I just blowing smoke? What are some of your predictions for the future of the Droid?
  2. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

The screen is too small to have a keyboard or controller attached to it. Good idea though.

-Wil
  3. kristoff125

kristoff125 New Member

Could easily get a usb - micro USB adapter and plug it in, that would make my SNES emulator much better.
  4. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

5. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Unfortunately, it is a hardware, not software, hack. That will mean that most of us won't do it.
  6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Sounds great, but pass me what you are drinking :icon_ banana:
  7. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

The coding is the hard part. But I'm sure the devs are already on it. As for the hardware it's a simple 2min job. For those that are seriously electronic illiterate there's plenty of people around that can supply others the modded cords (for a modest fee of course :wink:).
  8. mmitchell816

mmitchell816 New Member

....Hardware Hack??

You don't have to modify the phone in any way! yes you must cut up 3 usb cords that cost as cheap as a buck or two each. Trust me if the devs get drivers working peopele will totally be willing to cut some usb cords.
  9. dahotz

dahotz New Member

lol. think this one made my day.
  10. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Sure all this sounds good.......but maybe to good??
  11. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I must have misread the article from the other day. I thought you had to mod the micro usb port on the phone itself. I'm certainly willing to chop up some usb cords!
  12. Spartan

Spartan New Member

Actually doesn't work too bad. I use a bluetooth keyboard with mine and leave my laptop behind on short business trips now. Makes responding to long emails easier.
  13. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Yep, you have to destroy a car charger but that's it. You use it as a micro-dongle to activate the USB peripheral option in the kernel (to allow it to see new devices).:icon_ banana::icon_ banana: Should be interesting to see how the devs run with this over the next few weeks.
    And I'm betting that one of the devs will eventually mod a kernel so you don't have to use the dongle during boot.
  14. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    I'd cut up some cables for the ability to print from my Droid.
  15. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

Actually, once we modify the bootloader, no cable-hackery will be necessary!
  16. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    What are you doing posting on the forums then? Get to it!
Search tags for this page

droid of the future

drond for the future