The Droid Name

Droidram56

Reaction score
I am curious what criteria Verizon uses to include the "Droid" title in the name of its Android smartphones. Why is the Charge a Droid but the TB not a Droid? Why isn't the Galaxy sII going to be named "Droid Function?". The distinction is not apparent to me. Does anyone have an answer?

OP
Droidram56

Droidram56

Reaction score
I'm curious about this as well.
HTC has the Droid Incredible and Incredible2. Why wasn't the Thunderbolt called Droid Thunderbolt? I just wonder if there is some criteria that must be met for the Droid brand to be given to a phone, other than the phone being a Verizon Android smartphone?

OP
Droidram56

Droidram56

Reaction score
No idea. Does it really matter?
Not really. What counts, obviously, is if a device works properly and has the features that the customer wants.

But the Droid brand seems a little muddled to me. Verizon may not be making the most of the marketing opportunity. A brand name should mean something to the consumer. What does "Droid" represent? Since not all Verizon Android smartphones are branded as Droids, what is the distinction? It should mean something to the customer when Android smartphone A is called Droid and Android smartphone B isn't. For example, suppose all Verizon Android smartphones with physical keyboards were called Droids and those without physical keyboards were not called Droids. However, there doesn't seem to be any apparent distinction feature-wise. I may be beating a dead horse, but I would use the branding differently. But, I guess Verizon didn't ask for my humble opinion! :biggrin:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I believe the Droid tag is for the higher end VZW exclusive Android phones.
The Charge, Inc, Inc2 and Moto Droids are all exclusive to VZW. Not sure about the Tbolt though. That could have just been a LTE launch phone so they wanted it tied to LTE more than the Droid line. Just a theory though.

end of line...

Reaction score
Droid is a registered trademark by George Lucas and only certain phones are licensed to use the name.....if I'm understanding that correctly.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums