The Droid let me down - Finally

2001400ex

Reaction score
Okay, please read my preface BEFORE reading the rest and starting a flame war. I do not want iphone bashing on this, just other discussions about people have a similar experience like me. Also, keep in mind, I have owned the Droid since day 1, it was the first stop I made on the way home from the airport.

So, I went to the NCAA tournament here in Spokane today, the first session, about 4 hours long (showed up late). Well, this is downtown Spokane, and I have had no other issues in the same arena with using my Droid. Of course I am in several ncaa pools so I wanted to keep tabs on the other games since the scoreboard in the arena blows. (and keep tabs on the 2.1 update thread, hehe)

My phone will NOT switch to 3G, kept on 1x the entire time. I did the battery pull, tried *228, took 4 times for it to work, everything. So, not only can I barely access the internet, my battery dies about 2 hours into it because it was trying so hard to do anything.

To make matters worse, my wife had no problems on her garbage Envy 3, 2 bars 3g. Even worse, one of my bosses was on her Blackberry the whole time without a problem. So yeah I am pi$$ed.

But that is not even my main point of aggitation. The whole time I had a picture in my head of CBS showing a person watching a live game on their iphone during the Husky game in San Jose the night before. I already know I can't get that with the Droid, but burning me more was the perception that Droid service is vastly superior to the iphone.

Okay rant over, thanks for listening and please share your similar aggitations. Trying to take my mind off the 2.1 update! LOL

syntax53

Reaction score
I'm pretty sick of my battery dying half way through the day when I'm in low signal areas not even making phone calls. Typical battery usage stats are 45% cell standby and 25% phone idle or whatever. Very annoying.

zeppelin

Reaction score
Ive had problems in arenas and stadiums with service. I think this is a Verizon thing and not a droid thing. It will show you have full bars, and not be able to connect. Too many people using the same towers I assume.

OP

2001400ex

Reaction score
Ive had problems in arenas and stadiums with service. I think this is a Verizon thing and not a droid thing. It will show you have full bars, and not be able to connect. Too many people using the same towers I assume.

Yeah, there was only about 10,000 people, never had a problem with my string of LG phones at Mariner games and such with 30,000 people and my wife's LG today. Booo! LOL

I know for the Super Bowl, AT&T had to add a couple temporary towers, but I didn't hear anything about Verizon doing that. Not that that means much.

SGTiger

Reaction score
But that is not even my main point of aggitation. The whole time I had a picture in my head of CBS showing a person watching a live game on their iphone during the Husky game in San Jose the night before. I already know I can't get that with the Droid, but burning me more was the perception that Droid service is vastly superior to the iphone.

I really think you would be better suited for an iphone.

OP

2001400ex

Reaction score

I really think you would be better suited for an iphone.

Haha, NO!!!! I have played with a few of them. I will admit I like the look of the iphone and I would prefer less bulk without the physical keyboard. But the droid is the phone for me. Regardless of my post count, I am a tinkerer and the only reason I haven't rooted yet it time. I know it can be done quickly, but I also know, once I start, I won't stop. I will root and unroot, change roms, and probably screw everything up at least once. LOL

This thread is just to vent, not to say I want something else. Thanks for the thought though, I figured I would get one of these! :icon_evil:

Enter

Reaction score
CDMA typically uses more power than GSM....I wonder what the difference is between the two in power consumption.

KevinJ

Reaction score
Yeah, my Droid let me down Thursday.

I told it to go get my car washed, and it just laid there on the desk and didn't do anything - not a word, not a sound. It was just being an uncooperative, lazy phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Droid let you down. That sounds like a coverage problem to me. I think Verizon let you down.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Droid let you down. That sounds like a coverage problem to me. I think Verizon let you down.

+1.

Yeah, there was only about 10,000 people, never had a problem with my string of LG phones at Mariner games and such with 30,000 people and my wife's LG today. Booo! LOL

Actually, the way cell towers operate, it's entirely possible that the Mariner stadium sits between multiple towers, and the basketball stadium you were at only hand one tower near it. This is the most likely explanation, but who really knows though.

lmapp

Reaction score
Yeah, my Droid let me down Thursday.

I told it to go get my car washed, and it just laid there on the desk and didn't do anything - not a word, not a sound. It was just being an uncooperative, lazy phone.

Well, Mister smarty-pants, unlike you the Droid knew that it was going to rain.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hooky beat me to it.

Really was VZ, not the Droid itself.

Of course this week they are letting all of us down.

Geez, if Obama had a SS approved Droid vice a BB, we would see a congressional investigation ;)

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I recently utilized the auto killer option on Task panel where it kills all apps when the phone enters sleep/standby except those you set to ignore. It helps a bit with battery life.

I'm about ready to buy a small unit that takes four rechargeable (or standard) AA batteries and will charge/run the phone. Then later at night I can plug it in and recharge the AA's. Essentially a portable battery pack. Getting it for long rides while utilizing GPS tracking apps.

Will let everyone know how it works out. Battery life is definitely an issue.

sc4fpse

Reaction score
motivatorc6bf61f8a043a6.jpg

*shrug*

solorca

Reaction score
In his defense, he did say that his wives phone (which is on Verizon) had perfect 3G coverage, so it does sound like the phone deserves some blame in this, since another phone on the same carrier was able to find a signal.

I haven't personally had any issues with 3G though, so I consider myself lucky. Now, as for the actual phone service, I will blame Verizon for that. Everything was great with my phone service until the Alltell merger. From that point on, it's been at AT&T or Sprint level.