The dreaded wifi "!"

Lasagnaman33

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I'm running lollipop on my Droid Turbo.
As I travel a lot for work, I log into various hotel wifi.
Well sometimes, like now, I use the following steps:
Pull down screen from the top, select the pull down arrow under the wifi symbol, select the hotel's wifi network name.
It then obtained the IP address.
Says connect to hotel's network name.
Yesterday this was followed up with a little circle popup similar to Facebook messenger chat head icon. And then I had to check the box to accept terms and conditions, enter the hotels wifi password. Perfect. Connected. All is well.
This morning no such luck. I connected but now I have the dreaded exclamation point. No popup opened. Dragged down from the top of the screen, nada.
Opened chrome, nada.
Tried to go to history for the previously used page to enter the password from yesterday, nada.

So I tried to forget this network, turned off wifi, rebooted phone. Nothing.
Went to my conference and logged into their wifi no problem.
So this happens from time to time. On my iPad I just renew the lease and everything works great. But no way to do that on my android.
Know how to fix this?
Thanks

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I usually cycle airplane mode and it fixes it for me. But it if that doesn't work I open chrome and it usually has the screen to reaccept the terms.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe give this app a try?
cc57e30ed982d719db05ffc75701142e.jpg

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Can you try something for me? Switch off WIFI, then switch off Mobile Data. Then switch on WIFI, connect, and finally switch Mobile Data back on.

If it connects fine and you don't get the exclamation point, try the reverse, where Mobile Data is ON before you turn on WIFI, and see if you get the exclamation point.

It seems to be an apparent bug in Lollipop 5.0, which has to do with the initial pinging of google servers over WIFI first, to make sure the WIFI connection has internet access, and when it fails you get the exclamation point. There are several workarounds, including the one above. Another one is apparently when the Access Point Name (APN), on the phone gets corrupted. There are two possible solutions here as well.

Solution one;

1. Go to "Settings"
2. Go to "Data Usage"
3. Go to drop down menu in the upper right hand corner :))
4. Go to "Cellular Network Settings"
5. Go to "Access Point Names" (APN's)
6. Go to the drop-down menu (top right corner, three dots)) and select "Reset to Default"

The other solution is a variation on the above, but instead of selecting reset, you actually change the APN by clicking on it and then in the next screen tapping on it again, and finally typing "VZWINTERNET", or whatever your cellular ISP APN default name is.

OP
L

Lasagnaman33

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
That extra window that usually pops up to complete the logon process is not showing. That's one of the problems.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Unfortunately I don't have Lollipop on any devices any longer, so I can't walk through it with you. Could you post screen shots showing the steps from start to failure?

OP
L

Lasagnaman33

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I usually cycle airplane mode and it fixes it for me. But it if that doesn't work I open chrome and it usually has the screen to reaccept the terms.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Tried....didn't work :(

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK, so try my suggestions.

OP
L

Lasagnaman33

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Maybe give this app a try?
cc57e30ed982d719db05ffc75701142e.jpg

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
Tried it...didn't work. Tried debug. Goes through the cycle of reassociating, to searching to passed as in connecting. That hotel site verification window that's the secondary step to complete the sign on process never shows up

OP
L

Lasagnaman33

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Can you try something for me? Switch off WIFI, then switch off Mobile Data. Then switch on WIFI, connect, and finally switch Mobile Data back on.

If it connects fine and you don't get the exclamation point, try the reverse, where Mobile Data is ON before you turn on WIFI, and see if you get the exclamation point.

It seems to be an apparent bug in Lollipop 5.0, which has to do with the initial pinging of google servers over WIFI first, to make sure the WIFI connection has internet access, and when it fails you get the exclamation point. There are several workarounds, including the one above. Another one is apparently when the Access Point Name (APN), on the phone gets corrupted. There are two possible solutions here as well.

Solution one;

1. Go to "Settings"
2. Go to "Data Usage"
3. Go to drop down menu in the upper right hand corner :))
4. Go to "Cellular Network Settings"
5. Go to "Access Point Names" (APN's)
6. Go to the drop-down menu (top right corner, three dots)) and select "Reset to Default"

The other solution is a variation on the above, but instead of selecting reset, you actually change the APN by clicking on it and then in the next screen tapping on it again, and finally typing "VZWINTERNET", or whatever your cellular ISP APN default name is.

Tried it...didn't work

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Tried it...didn't work
OK, assuming you tried all three possible workarounds/solutions, I would like to have you try Safe Mode...

Restart in Safe Mode - DROID TURBO by Motorola | Verizon Wireless

1. Press and hold the Power button (at the right edge of the device, above the Volume buttons) until "Power off" appears then release.
  2. Touch and hold Power off until the "Reboot to safe mode" prompt appears (approximately 1 second).
  3. From the "Reboot to safe mode" prompt, tap OK to confirm.
    linote.gif
    The process may take up to 30 seconds to complete.
    linote.gif
    Upon reboot, "Safe mode" appears in the lower left of the unlock/home screen.
  4. With Safe Mode enabled, test device and app functionality.

OP
L

Lasagnaman33

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
OK, assuming you tried all three possible workarounds/solutions, I would like to have you try Safe Mode...

Restart in Safe Mode - DROID TURBO by Motorola | Verizon Wireless

1. Press and hold the Power button (at the right edge of the device, above the Volume buttons) until "Power off" appears then release.
  2. Touch and hold Power off until the "Reboot to safe mode" prompt appears (approximately 1 second).
  3. From the "Reboot to safe mode" prompt, tap OK to confirm.
    linote.gif
    The process may take up to 30 seconds to complete.
    linote.gif
    Upon reboot, "Safe mode" appears in the lower left of the unlock/home screen.
  4. With Safe Mode enabled, test device and app functionality.

Tried it.. No luck. three screen shots. the bar on shot1 shows connected. underneath should be one that says something like connect to network to complete. that's missing.
Screenshot_2016-08-05-20-19-15.png
Screenshot_2016-08-05-20-19-01.png
Screenshot_2016-08-05-20-19-28.png

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I first got my Note4, on AT&T ,the embedded Wi-Fi hotspot finder app was the culprit for the scenario I was getting like you describe. If memory serves Verizon has theirs located inside of their My Verizon app?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Two of my refurbed S5 had the same issues with WiFi, the airplane mode switch worked for a while, but then it didn't. It was an Asurion insurance phone, so it got replaced with new then third time... Good luck

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes, it seems like this is a firmware problem. A full factory data restore may resolve it if you were willing to give it a try.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk