The Dreaded GS3 4.3+ Locked/Encrypted Bootloader

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by giauquebokz, Sep 25, 2014.

1. giauquebokz

giauquebokz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S3 (Verizon)
    I know enough about tinkering with Android phones to be able to root, flash custom roms, etc., but apparently not enough to avoid falling into the trap of taking the stock 4.3 OTA update on my Galaxy S3 (I535) a few months ago. So I've inadvertently got myself stuck with a bootloader that can't be unlocked. I have a couple of questions for anyone who knows more about it than I do:

- What exactly is going on with this? I know previous OS's have had locked bootloaders, and those have been cracked, so is it just the case that this one is encrypted and/or somehow harder to unlock than previous ones? Or is it just that devs are more interested in cracking newer phones, and no one cares about the S3 anymore?

- Obviously, I not only can't flash roms, but I can't flash any kind of zip at all, because I can't install a custom recovery. Is there a workaround for this, in order to copy the files from a zip over without having to boot into a recovery?

- I'm up for an upgrade soon, but I want to make sure I don't fall back into this trap with a new phone. Is it Verizon's doing, in which case I should go with a different carrier? Or is it Samsung, in which case I should go with a different brand? Or are all the major manufacturers doing it nowadays, in which case I should just get a Nexus of Moto?

Thanks for your help in advance!

2. KaosMaster

KaosMaster Senior Member

Ratings:
    +186
    Current Phone Model:
    SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
    Hello Gia!

Most companies are using a Locked Bootloader these days! This is not to mean you can't root them and do all the Lovely things you would like to do!!

But first it sounds like your root may have bungled your OTA Update!
    The first thing is to restore the phone to stock. This will require flashing the Device! You can accomplish this with Samsung Kies! ;) Also I have a guide available to assist you if you need some direction!

Then after that, give the Towelroot method a go to Root your Phone. Then install A Superuser app! ;)
    Then from there you can load anything you like! Only drawback is that the Samsung Bootloader will Change to be A Custom OS Logo and know you have rooted the Device. Good LUCK with your Endeavors!

3. giauquebokz

giauquebokz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S3 (Verizon)
    Hi KaosMaster, thanks for your response!

I've managed to get the phone restored to stock and rooted again, but I'm referring the fact that, to my knowledge, the bootloader on 4.3 and up can't be unlocked (so as to flash custom roms, for example). I've resigned myself to that fact for now (unless you know of something I don't!), seeing as I'm due for an upgrade, but do you know if this is a problem for other phones as well (i.e. Galaxy S5, etc.)? Just Samsung phones? Or all non-Nexus phones? I've never been content to just leave the OS as is, so I'd like to avoid this with my next phone.

Thanks again!

4. KaosMaster

KaosMaster Senior Member

Ratings:
    +186
    Current Phone Model:
    SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
  5. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    Verizon branded devices are known for having locked down bootloaders. That said, the Galaxy S5 is easily rootable and there are currently 3-4 Roms available that can be flashed via safestrap. TBH I don't know of a single member on our S5 sister forum (other than developer Versatile) that has bothered to flash a Rom to this device. Most are more than content with their stock S5 or simply rooted stock like myself.
    Good luck & holler if you need a hand with anything.

tap'n on my S5

Search tags for this page

gs3 roms locked boot loader

s3 i535 boot loader cracked

unlocked gs 3 roms