The Disappointment Thread

Briankbl

Reaction score
I really like the overall specs of the Galaxy Nexus, but I still have some things to vent, mainly towards ICS.

1) Where is the Exynos? Why would Samsung put a weaker processor in their newest phone?

2) Other than facial recognition and app data management, my D1 can do everything ICS can do via apps and custom roms.

3) No real gamechangers for ICS. No siri-like announcement. No mention of their BlindType acquisition. Nothing.

I have never been so excited, yet disappointed, like this before. The hardware side of things is looking great, but the software side has me scratching my head.

Launcher Pro/Widgets - check.
Drocap - check.
MIUI(folders/lockscreen/icons) - check.
Download Roboto Font - check.
Improved Speech-to-Text(Dragon Dictation) - check.

It just seems like they took a lot of things from alternative home launchers, custom roms, and apps from the market, instead of giving us brand new stuff. What are your thoughts?

Sent using common sense.

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
All those over laying one another = more resources being absorbed than ICS. So less performance. Eh, sounds good. Idk

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

ice456789

Reaction score
1) Not sure why they chose the OMAP over the Exynos. One thing we do know... all phones with Verizon LTE radios are making that choice too. Possibly the Exynos doesn't play well with LTE?

2) Now you don't need those apps or custom ROMS. And your D1 must run a whole lot better than my D1, because even Gingerbread ports by Cyanogen and Pete are too much for my overclocked processor to handle smoothly.

3) Siri is a game changer? I can already tell my phone to text someone or call someone or do a bunch of other things using voice commands. I don't need the phone to talk back to me. People that talk TO their phones seem really lonely. As for ICS, I was impressed by what I saw. Perhaps our expectations were different. I was looking for a smooth platform that integrated some nice features. If you were expecting them to announce that ICS can make your toast for you, then I guess you'd be disappointed that it only runs your phone. :)

It just seems like they took a lot of things from alternative home launchers, custom roms, and apps from the market, instead of giving us brand new stuff.
That's the key. On a development platform like Android, there are so many people with great ideas that many of the best ideas are already made into apps. Integrating those great ideas into ICS is exactly what I'm looking for. But they didn't just integrate them, they improved them. You won't find any launcher that can handle multi-tasking like ICS does. You won't find any launcher that handles widgets like ICS. You might find a launcher that looks like ICS, but it will never perform like ICS. Remember... we're just scratching the surface on what ICS can do. All we've got is one demonstration of it. Once the developers dig into it you can expect a whole new realm of apps to surface that will only work on ICS.

diggy488

Reaction score
I was most excited NOT to need additional apps with ICS! My phone is very clean, with only the essentials. I don't use any animations or fancy screen transitions. I try to make it run as efficiently as possible, and I'll bet my D1's interface is faster than a lot of the newest phones out right now. It's all personal preference, I know. Most people like all the fancy stuff so no matter what ICS integrates, people will want more features.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
1) Yes, I too am disappointed that the exynos is no where to be seen, but clearly there's a reason all Verizon LTE phones are going with OMAP.

2) Can your D1 take pictures like that? Does your D1 run that smooth? Does your D1 have a FFC? NFC? The list goes on.

3) Camera? Game changer. App disabling? Game changer. Phone encryption? Game changer. Not to mention, everything they held back from showing us.

louy99

Reaction score
There is always something to complain about...you have the choice to buy it or not. i am VERY impressed by the phone. i dont care if its running on leftover parts. it works and works well. the only thing i wish it had was power control in drop down notification like cyanogenmod does. not a game changer for me....i just want to hold the beast and see if i like the way it feels in my hand. that will decide whether i want it or not.

the past has also shown me to not by 1st gen of anything new. ill still wait a month or 2 to see how people say battery life, ICS, 4g speed is.

still very impressed with ICS and top of my list for upgrade in december.

SANhacker

Reaction score
I tend to agree. This announcement was pretty much a (yawn) for me.
No SD card.
1.2 GHz.
5MP camera. (Yeah, I know MP don't matter but why not make it 8MP with the same features)
Very old GPU on a very nice HD screen. (WTF)

It just seems like a bridge to me. Let's get through the holidays and announce the real deal in 2012.

Jester6x

Reaction score
I really don't know where to start with this thread.
First off, siri as a game changer?? Game changer for what or whom? It's not useful. It's a marketing gimmick, what can you do with voice commands quicker/better than you can do with typing?

Second the fact that Google is watching all of these third party apps and seeing what is working and not working and then implementing them in their STOCK os is pretty amazing. The fewer third party apps I have to use, the better.

They didn't mention blind type but they are showing that the keyboard is better and very well could use the technology (have to see real world applications obviously). There are probably less than 100 of us who would even know what blind type is.

The camera is a huge huge improvement. That was the biggest knock against android and now it looks to be one of the best on any phone.

App disabling is an amazing feature. Just plain amazing.

The ability to see your notification bar in the lock screen is another awesome feature.

They look to have really polished the android os with all of these features to make the stock experience better for everyone. Not everyone goes out looking for 3rd party apps.

It sounds like your personal expectations were set to high. The question is, what were you looking for that isn't included?

SANhacker

Reaction score
Jester6x;1798030 It sounds like your personal expectations were set to high. The question is said:
Just the same things I have with the OG Droid.
Replaceable Battery
Replaceable SD Card

Between the RAZR and Nexus, I can only have one. Not both.

Jester6x

Reaction score
What are you looking for an SD card for? Do you switch the SD between devices a lot? SD cards always have the chance of failing and wiping all of your data (i've had it happen).

You can always back up to your computer and move the data.

As for the removable battery I would agree, I don't want a phone without a removable battery

patriot95

Reaction score
I think you are missing some key points. You can download all of the apps you want to... but in reality, why wouldn't you want them built in and optimized to ru nwith multiple cores and play perfectly well with the OS (because they are in the OS)? Physically the phone is a beast. It will be (roughly) the same size as the Bionic/RAZR and with a better and larger screen. The camera argument is silly. If you watched the preview and know anything about MPs, you can tell the new camera crushes any Android device out there especially when taking the software into consideration.

You also missed out on a key feature. Beam. That is what I believe the game changer is. Although they didn't show too much about its capabilities... I can't imagine what developers will be able to come up with using this technology. I think it is more than just the "Bump" app. I think many people are underestimating the benefits that should be present in an optimized OS with all of these built in features. Battery life should be improved. It should be much smoother. And don't forget that the optimization for multicores should make a huge difference.

We shouldn't be too negative about this device until it is in peoples' hands and they get out some in depth reviews.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I was impressed as heck with the Nexus. I rewatched most of the launch vid last night and yea, that thing is sweet top to bottom!

OP
Briankbl

Briankbl

Reaction score
The camera I look at as more of a hardware upgrade rather than an ICS thing. Remember, I said I really liked the phone.

My overall point is, I was hoping for something new. New features, not features I can currently acquire on my old friend. Beam is Bump. I can already delete system apps altogether if I wanted to. I was just hoping for new features, not features I already have access to.

Sent using common sense.

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
Just the same things I have with the OG Droid.
Replaceable Battery
Replaceable SD Card

Between the RAZR and Nexus, I can only have one. Not both.

Has anyone confirmed there is no removable storage on the Galaxy Nexus, I know the battery is replaceable, have a look at this picture, the phone on the left is the galaxy nexus, I could be wrong, but that looks like a mini SD card slot next to the camera.

galaxy-nexus-hands-on-11-AndroidCommunity-540x417.jpg

*Correction, now I think it is the 4G LTE Chip, :(, still getting it.