The death of a Maxx

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by weatherlover1, Mar 19, 2012.

1. weatherlover1

weatherlover1 New Member

I am not posting this to whine or be mad at anyone. I just want to share what happened to my Maxx in case others down the road happen to have something like this happen.

I got my Razr Maxx just over two weeks ago. For the first 13 days it worked fine. Then last Thursday the sound stopped. No ringtone no media no sounds at all not even the boot up sound. I let it go for 24hrs thinking maybe it was some weird glitch and I looked at all my settings tried a safe mode boot up thanks to helpful people here. Finally I gave in and did a factory reset and still no sound. Friday night I called Verizon and told them everything I did. They agreed I had tried everything that they would have suggested and so they put in the order for me to get a new phone which should be shipped out today and be here Wednesday(we will see if it comes that fast..). At that point my phone was still working fine just no sounds. Yesterday morning I took my phone off the charger and I saw it rebooted. Strange but my Droid X loved to reboot randomly so I did not think much of it. I noticed about 30 minutes later my battery was already down to 90% and I had not even used it. Again odd so I rebooted it thinking maybe the reboot it did did something weird. All day yesterday the battery discharged at an alarming rate compared to how it had been doing. Nothing had changed in the settings etc no new apps and nothing was showing up as forcing it awake. I charged it 2 or 3 times yesterday to keep it from dying.

This morning when I took it off the charger it was frozen the screen would not come on and it was hot. I was able to do the power button and volume down maneuver to get it to restart. The screen was hot to the touch and the whole phone was warm as well. So I powered it down to cool it and to my surprise even when powered down the screen was still very warm. I finally turned it back on because its my only phone. It was still warm but not as hot. I put it in the holster to walk my daughter to the bus stop and I could feel the warmth of the phone at my side. :( As a last ditch effort to try and get this phone to not completely die I put Juice defender on. It has cooled down a little more but the screen is still warm to the touch. I am currently charging up my Droid Charge and think I am going to activate it until my new Maxx gets here. I am very baffled about this but apparently my phone is dying for no real reason. The only thing I can remotely think of that caused my battery to start to die is the charger I use but I used it to charge up my Droid X for a year and a half and my Droid Charge when I had it for a few weeks. Its a different charger not the one that comes with the phones but maybe it just did not work with the Maxx I will not use it anymore that is for sure. But it charged for the first 13 days with out any issues not getting warm or anything so who knows. Its not even 10am I have hardly used the phone and the battery is at 49% and falling like a rock. So I guess its time to deactivate it and wait for my new one.

RIP Maxx :p
  2. cece5702

cece5702 Member

The charger you were using was it for Motorola phones? I read some where that you should only use the charger that comes with the phone and it needs to be plugged into a wall socket and not a power surge protector.That happened to my Droid X. I was charging it every night but not plugging the cord it into the wall. I was usinga power surge protector. My Droid X went crazy and the colors on the screen were fading in and out and it kept getting real warm for no reason. I assumed that was the reason but still not sure.

I am glad Verizon is sending you a new phone. :)
  3. weatherlover1

weatherlover1 New Member

No it was not a charger for Motorola. What happened was the one for my Droid X stopped working(charger) so I had a charger for another device and I started to use it. Works with no problems up to now. But i am not sure that was or is any of the problem. The phone still works fine colors still good just warm. Its plugged into the right charger right now and its still warm. Its just odd all the way around. I just hope it holds out till Wednesday. I can't activate my Droid Charge with out calling Verizon.

Also I do use a surge protector but I am not sure I want to not use it.
  4. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET New Member

At least you were using it as a heater in this cold weather. Lol good thing Verizon sending you a new one. That sucks to go through what you went through. Maybe foxkat can give an explanation :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  5. cece5702

cece5702 Member

I thinking the same thing. FoxKat....where are you? :biggrin:
  6. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

i have a doubt a charger once unplugged would cause issues . if it worked for the DX i would say it work for the max.. i dont know what the output voltage is on the X charger vs the max. but i have read in many places people using the same one.. good luck with new phone
  7. weatherlover1

weatherlover1 New Member

Yeah its the battery. I have it plugged in right now and its barely able to charge.
  8. Trash Can

Trash Can New Member

There's a pretty good debate/discussion on using various chargers here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/202046-lg-charger-razr.html

I'm sure FoxKat will chime in when he sees this thread.
  9. cece5702

cece5702 Member

I agree with you!!! I'm waiting on FoxKat to see what his views are. I dont think using an LG Charger on a Razr Maxx is a good thing to do but I could be wrong. :)
  10. weatherlover1

weatherlover1 New Member

Well I have learned my lesson I will only use the correct charger from now on but I still don't think it was the charger. Thanks for the link. I hope I don't get spanked by FoxKat for this! ;)
  11. Trash Can

Trash Can New Member

FoxKat won't spank you, but he may make you stand in the corner or eat your vegetables. :D
  12. cece5702

cece5702 Member

Lol...FoxKat is harmless!!!... Very knowledgeable but harmless.:)
  13. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET New Member

FoxKat probably getting his graphs ready lol

14. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Grrrrr! :icon_ devil:
  15. weatherlover1

weatherlover1 New Member

:sorry:
  16. FoxKat

One quick question for you in response to the statement above...was the phone powered ON when you determined the battery wouldn't take a charge? It's quite possible that the battery isn't toast. It may simply need to have one full charge (while powered off) and discharge cycle (to 15%) to re-stabilize the electrochemical reaction inside and bring the battery and charging/monitoring circuitry into sync.

Perhaps it's good for everyone to hear this. Batteries are a strange device. We're talking about a miniture electrochemical science experiment, a powerplant in a can/pouch, etc. If you think about it, it's really what I like to call "controlled chaos". It's really a very nasty environment with acids or alkalines, and for the most part one we wouldn't want to have exposed to us. One problem with batteries is that the reactions taking place inside are at an atomic level, but if not properly cared for can result in reactions not going as expected and damaging the electrolyte, the Anode, the Cathode or any combination of all three, not to mention the container itself whether a can or pouch (as our batteries are). There is a thin range between minimum charge level and maximum charge level (the operating range), and also a limited range of how fast you can take it from one to the other.

What is most notable however is that if the process of charging is not handled properly it can stress the components that make up the battery, and cause it to operate inefficiently, create unnecessary heat (bad for just about anything), produce undesirable byproducts (gas buildup, chemical breakdown, internal shorting, etc.) and ultimately shorten the life of the battery or worse - destroy it's ability to hold a charge. Even worse still is the possibility of a catastrophic failure.

I've said it before, and I'll say it here again. There's no benefit that doesn't come without a cost. If the perceived benefit of using a third party charger is either for convenience (I forgot or lost my charger), or to charge quicker (some may use 2.1 amp iPad chargers to charge faster for instance), the cost can be shorter battery life at the least.

These phone manufacturers play a delicate balancing act between long run times and short life verus shorter run times and longevity. When we "play" with that delicate balance by manipulating the charging system, we will have a direct effect on the balance. It is simple cause and effect. Likewise, the phone has limited range of high and low voltages in which it will operate. Anything too low and it will start to act very strangely (i.e. bootlooping, failure to power up, failure to power down, etc.), and anything too high may not only result in strange performance (force closes, etc.) but also potentially permanent damage to the motherboard or other components.

Play if you must, but be forewarned that you are at the very least technically voiding the warranty, and if the damage that ensues is caused by your playing you really shouldn't receive a free a warranty replacement.
    1 person likes this.
  17. cece5702

cece5702 Member

Well....now we have it!!!! The FoxKAt has spoken. Very interesting!!! Thanks. :)
  18. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET New Member

Yup the King of Android has spoken. :)

19. ultra09hd

ultra09hd New Member

Take it back and have them replace it..but ask to be kept in the loop as to what cause it to fail...I have my doubts that the charger is to blame. Unless the charger is damaged, wires broke or frayed warranty should cover it.

That's all I'm saying.
  20. FoxKat

Just food for thought. Cadex, perhaps the most widely respected battery analyzer/charger/conditioner companies in the world, states the following in an advertisement for one of their battery analyzers:
    Cellular Phones

One of the primary applications for the C7000 Series of battery analyzers has been sorting and servicing high volumes of cell phone batteries in service centers and logistics processing facilities.

Whether operated by device manufacturers, carriers, or third party service providers (3PSPs), these facilities save significant amounts of money by salvaging and refurbishing the large volumes of batteries that have been returned by customers for exchange, either on their own or within devices perceived as faulty.
    Battery Testing as a Service​
    • Up to 90% of returned batteries are still serviceable​
    • Service providers and their clients save money whenever a good battery is identified because they do not incur the cost of replacing it with a new one​
    • Testing batteries allows repair facilities to identify if the battery or the device is faulty and save money by repairing only the faulty component​
    • Refurbished batteries can be a significant source of supply for service providers that might have to purchase them elsewhere​
    This may not seem like significant information to some, but it points to a big problem for the cell phone manufacturers. For every 10 phones they take in return due to a "defective battery" and for every 10 factory refurbished "Like New" phones they send out in replacement, 9 of those taken back with the complaint of "defective batteries" are fine and the problem had nothing to do with the battery per se. Which means it could be one of several other issues, a failed phone charging circuit, a bad supply block, or incorrect charging practices.

What does this mean to you and I? It means the next phone YOU get as a replacement for YOUR failed battery may actually be the phone the OP sent in, and it may still have the same battery in it! Odds are 90% that it will go back out to someone else and will have proven not to be the problem. And even funnier, they might actually have sent their phone in for a defective battery and will get someone else's that was sent in for the same reason!

I don't make them, I just use them - and when I do, I try to use them the way they were intended to be used so I can get the type of performance out of them that they are expected to produce. As always, YRMV, but caveat emptor.

;)
Search tags for this page
black screen of death razr maxx
droid maxx droid eye
droid maxx will not power on

droid razr maxx black screen of death

droid razr screen fading when cold
how to fix the black screen of death on a razr maxx
my driod just got the red eye of death on driod maxx

razr maxx black screen of death

razr maxx cold weather
razr maxx will not power on past droid eye