The day has finally come!

Kias

Reaction score
Hi there!

Been lurking for quite some time now. Today is the day we were finally able to upgrade our phones. Something about paying $500+ for a phone wasn't that appealing to me. So I ordered a moto droid for myself, one for my wife, and some other phone for my daughter. Ordered them from wirefly and went through bing first, so today the droid's were $19.99 each (They were $49.99 yesterday) and my daughters phone was also $19.99. In about 6 weeks or so, I should be receiving $150.00 from Bing. So when all is said and done, someone will have paid me $75.00 to take the droids off their hands.

Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Our previous phones were Samsung Jukes, and we've never owned a smart phone of any sorts, so I'm kinda excited. I don't know how I'm going to be able to do any work at work tomorrow, and I definitely won't be working Friday... I'll be too busy playing with the phone!

They're currently in FedEx's hand and it says they'll be delivered by 4:30 tomorrow.

I've read about some nightmares where wirefly has screwed up peoples accounts when they upgraded through them, but it looks like it's going to be a smooth one this time.

We currently have the Nationwide Talk & Text SharePlan 1400 but when I ordered the phones, they didn't have that option, just the the Nationwide Talk 1400, not the talk and text. (However, there was an option to add unlimited text for some $, which would've been more than we were paying now) However, after I ordered the phones and verizon approved it, there was a hold placed on the order. Verizon requested additional information, so I had to call wirefly. I talked to some guy named "Ian" who suspiciously had an indian accent, and when he asked who I was, I was this close --><-- to telling him my name was "Ashraf", but alas, I held my tongue. They just wanted to know if I wanted to keep the talk & text plan we currently have... Absolutely!

So now I must wait. Wait. AGGGH!!! Ok, I can do it.

First order of business will be to get our exchange server hooked up to the droids, or vice versa, however you want to look at it. I'm thinking touchdown, or that other one I can't think of the name right now... Yeah, that one!

Oh, the agony of waiting...

We almost held out for the incredible's, but 200 bucks... sheesh...

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, I'm here, and almost have a droid!

emscapt47

Reaction score
Let me be the first to welcome you and to tell you that you are in for one heck of a cool ride..These phones are the best...I had a Blackberry for yrs and switched and my wife is getting one this week also...Well enjoy and have fun with it....:icon_ banana:

OP
Kias

Kias

Reaction score
Thanks! I don't know how many times in the last couple of weeks we were somewhere doing whatever and wanted to know something... All I could say was, "If we had our droids, we'd know, right now!"

...and I already changed my mind. First order of business will be getting the phones working with the car. Then I can worry about getting them hooked up to exchange. :)

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome, and I wish someone paid me to have a droid :D

My first SP too and love every minute of it. Wish I was able to get one for my wife but had to settle for the eris. This sucks because when she asks me questions, I don't always know where to look.

Enjoy your time here... it'll be a lot! :p

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome, Kias! You'll find this to be a very friendly place full of great people and information! The possibilities are endless for customization for that Droid. So read, read, and read some more. You'll be amazed at how much you can teach yourself by reading the threads here in the forum! Enjoy that new toy when you get it and try to remember to eat and sleep every now and then!

Here's a great thread about app recommendations.

Forget the top 5, list ALL of your apps :welcome:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kias, welcome to the world of Smart Phones, glad you chose the Droids and will love them. I must throw out a huge caution to you though. You might want to look at the small print with Wirefly. Lets say you hated the Droids, hated the VZW network (well you already have VZW), but wanted to turn them in under the Worry Free Guarantee. We already know about the 30 day WFG with VZW. How about Wirefly? They have their own rules. Let's say you were 3 months into your new contract with the Droids and something happens and you decide to cancel the phone line(s), and pay the Early Termination Fee with VZW. Read the fine print with Wirefly, you might be shocked to know that they just might have their own ETF policy ON TOP OF the VZW one. Please read carefully because, although on the surface you got a great deal, but read the fine print and see what the consequences could be. I worked in a VZW call center too long to know about unhappy customers who didn't read the Wirefly, or other 3rd party retailers policies.

OP
Kias

Kias

Reaction score
Well, here I am at work, not working as promised! My phone just flew into Detroit Metro about 40 minutes ago, and is making it's way to my house.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Feels like I've been here a while, since I have. Come here every day since I found it last year sometime. Finally got an account in Jan as I needed to see some pictures someone posted. Just reading and soaking in info until I could actually get a droid.

I just confirmed that there's $150 sitting in my Bing account under a pending status, so that's cool! Just have to wait the long six weeks until I can actually get to it. (They should pay me interest during that time!)

Thanks for that link Annedroid! That's an awesome list of apps!

...and to my fellow 1600 engine rider (I have an '08 wing), the fine print I have definitely read. 180 days with wirefly, no downgrading, pay my bill, no cancelling, etc... No problem there. No problem with Verizon either. Have had them what seems like forever.

...and if I'm not happy with my droid, I'll just come here and make myself happy!

Thanks again!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, here I am at work, not working as promised! My phone just flew into Detroit Metro about 40 minutes ago, and is making it's way to my house.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Feels like I've been here a while, since I have. Come here every day since I found it last year sometime. Finally got an account in Jan as I needed to see some pictures someone posted. Just reading and soaking in info until I could actually get a droid.

I just confirmed that there's $150 sitting in my Bing account under a pending status, so that's cool! Just have to wait the long six weeks until I can actually get to it. (They should pay me interest during that time!)

Thanks for that link Annedroid! That's an awesome list of apps!

...and to my fellow 1600 engine rider (I have an '08 wing), the fine print I have definitely read. 180 days with wirefly, no downgrading, pay my bill, no cancelling, etc... No problem there. No problem with Verizon either. Have had them what seems like forever.

...and if I'm not happy with my droid, I'll just come here and make myself happy!

Thanks again!
Kias - hope you enjoy the new toy! I really wasn't trying to scare you off, just making you aware, in case you didn't see the fine print. Not sure where you're at, but if you're anywhere near eastern PA, we need to go riding. I was wrestling with getting a Gold Wing before selecting the Vulcan. Keep us posted about your progress with the Droid today.

OP
Kias

Kias

Reaction score
Wasn't scared off a bit! I used to be in the Navy, and I never ever sign anything without reading all the fine print first! Makes for a long day when you're closing on a house.

I'm in NW Ohio, smack dab in the middle of the cornbelt! Not a far ride on a wing to the other side of PA, but nothing to do on a whim!

Droid Upate: It's on the truck for delivery! :icon_ banana:

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 181
OP
Kias

Kias

Reaction score
Droid Update: Delivered!!! :icon_ lala:

Crap... I'm at work!

half_way

Reaction score
enjoy i have enjoyed mine sense December and would never want another phone.

OP
Kias

Kias

Reaction score
Droid Update: Been playing with it for 2 hours now!

Wirefly didn't send the activation instructions like their packing checklist said... Did the chat thing with them, and all I had to do was turn the stupid phone on and follow directions. LOL All done though... Felt like an idiot after that chat! They were nice though.

Say... has anyone noticed you can also make phone calls from the droid? Amazing stuff! :D

Ok, my brain is in overload... Gotta go find the MAC address for the phone to add to my wifi list of authorized gadgets.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Droid Update: Been playing with it for 2 hours now!

Wirefly didn't send the activation instructions like their packing checklist said... Did the chat thing with them, and all I had to do was turn the stupid phone on and follow directions. LOL All done though... Felt like an idiot after that chat! They were nice though.

Say... has anyone noticed you can also make phone calls from the droid? Amazing stuff! :D

Ok, my brain is in overload... Gotta go find the MAC address for the phone to add to my wifi list of authorized gadgets.
\

WHAT? :shocked: It's a phone, too? Glad you finally got your hands on it. Enjoy that new toy and try to remember to eat and sleep every now and then! I guarantee you'll still be learning stuff every day for months...

OP
Kias

Kias

Reaction score
Here's my initial review of the motodroid: OMG!! WOW!!

Here's what I've done so far: Activated it.

Exported the contacts from the backup assistant on VW's site to a .csv file. Imported it to the contacts in gmail so it'd update the phone, since vw doesn't have a backup assistant app for the droid. (Strange)

Did the same thing again choosing the OTHER .csv option so the phone numbers would go into the phone number field and not the notes field.

Found the MAC addy and added that to my wifi list of authorized gadgets.

Noticed when I go out of range of the wifi, it switches to 3g automatically, but when I come back in range of the wifi it doesn't switch automatically... Wondering if there's a way to do that. I'll figure it out if there is!

Connected the bluetooth to the car and sync'd the phonebook with the car.

Here's the important stuff I've done so far: Downloaded the Bic Lighter App! (Goin' to Rock on the Range next month, must be ready!)

Wow! That's about all I can say right now. :icon_ banana: