The Complete Jellybean Thread

Dom1000

Reaction score
ok so i have manually installed the update and everything is fine. Ive been seeing a lot of you say that a factory reset would be good to do. I am on stock unrooted and havent been rooted should i still do the factory reset?

I love how much smoother JB made my phone i dont have as much lag and it hasnt frozen once yet where in 1 day it would freeze multiple times.

OP
GigaJake

GigaJake

Reaction score
If you're not experiencing problems, then you should be fine. Just realise you're running Jellybean with data from ICS. If your phone starts to give you problems, please consider a reset.

Just depends on how your phone is behaving.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
So, I'm confused, have downloaded and tried to install the ota update three times now. First time it failed, stopped about a third of the way and showed the Droid on it's back with the red exclamation. Came back as ics. Went through defrosted all apps, restored all bloatware, tried again, same thing. went and temp unroot, same thing. Why is the update failing?
Your best bet is to install using the ZIP files linked in the first post and using stock recovery to install the zip file.

This method will allow you to watch what stage it's at, and it'll show you what file exactly is preventing the patch from hitting. Once you identify that file, you can figure out how to return it to stock to allow the patch to finish up.

Given that your phone rolls back to ICS after a failure, it's safe to say your patch isn't going past the point of no return by updating the kernel. So, just keep taking the approach in the initial post to apply the ZIP file, and you'll eventually figure out what modification you made is preventing the upgrade.

Good luck! :)

Dom1000

Reaction score
If you're not experiencing problems, then you should be fine. Just realise you're running Jellybean with data from ICS. If your phone starts to give you problems, please consider a reset.

Just depends on how your phone is behaving.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

ok well im going to leave it for now and see how it runs seems to be doing just fine right now. I had one issue where it froze and the screen was going black and then would come back and would do that but i just restarted it.

thanks for the info!

me_droid

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but the soak is over and the official update should be available for pull, and otherwise is being rolled out in stages starting last night if info is correct.

AceDROID

Reaction score
Your best bet is to install using the ZIP files linked in the first post and using stock recovery to install the zip file.

This method will allow you to watch what stage it's at, and it'll show you what file exactly is preventing the patch from hitting. Once you identify that file, you can figure out how to return it to stock to allow the patch to finish up.

Given that your phone rolls back to ICS after a failure, it's safe to say your patch isn't going past the point of no return by updating the kernel. So, just keep taking the approach in the initial post to apply the ZIP file, and you'll eventually figure out what modification you made is preventing the upgrade.

Good luck! :)

I'm gonna give it a go, unfortunately where I have a mac I don't think I can SBF back to the original ICS and go from there. oy.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I've seen neither hide nor hair of the update. It would be nice to be in the first wave for once.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

AceDROID

Reaction score
Alright, so in doing the stock recovery method, I'm getting a status code 7? Because of Slacker. I restored the app through Titanium Backup, but that error message still popped up. Do I need to update the file itself in order for this to go through?

edit. I'm updating through the play store and going to try again, hopefully I report back being on JB.

edit2: Okay, so I'm still getting that error message.

"Verifying current system...
file "/system/app/Gmail.apk"
script aborted: assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/Gmail.apk", "21177453e64d114f4c208720a0f57d9765665a1d", "8c4ca9a52a3849b20f12219e7fc5a29b4ebe1ad1")
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/Gmail.apk", "21177453e64d114f4c208720a0f57d9765665a1d", "8c4ca9a52a3849b20f12219e7fc5a29b4ebe1ad1")
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted."

It looks like that, just instead of this person's gmail issue, mine is with SlackerRadio. I updated through the Play Store, and it still refuses to go. What can I do? this is HIGHLY frustrating.

Last edited:

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
The problem most likely is that Titanium Backup doesn't backup up the .odex file (at least it use to not do so) so while the .apk was restored the .odex that goes with it was not.

If you are still on ICS 4.0.4 your best bet would be to fastboot flash the ICS 4.0.4 image to make your phone 100% stock. Then just do a system check (settings/about phone, system updates) as it's allowed to be "pulled" now from the update servers.

AceDROID

Reaction score
The problem most likely is that Titanium Backup doesn't backup up the .odex file (at least it use to not do so) so while the .apk was restored the .odex that goes with it was not.

If you are still on ICS 4.0.4 your best bet would be to fastboot flash the ICS 4.0.4 image to make your phone 100% stock. Then just do a system check (settings/about phone, system updates) as it's allowed to be "pulled" now from the update servers.

Alright, thanks. I googled the information, and I have the fastboot file downloading now. I have the ADB and such on here, so hopefully I can get it to work. Thanks again for your input.

Last edited:

silverfang77

Reaction score
I'm getting it too. Should I do the system cache wipe before or after the update?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

AceDROID

Reaction score
Alright, where do I put the ICS Fastboot file in order to be able to flash it to my phone? Do I need to extract the zip archive first? It's been quite some time since I have done this and google is showing a run around. haha

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I am pretty sure there isn't a odex file for slacker. Try just using a root explorer and copy-paste the apk to the system/app folder.