[ROM] The CM7 Gingerbread ROM (CM4D2-GB) is now ready for prime time!

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod - D2' started by Redflea, Aug 26, 2011.

1. duck on quack

duck on quack Member

Ratings:
    +0

I've installed several ROMs on my D2 before, but I've never done an OTA update, and this step is already confusing me. Aren't OTA updates, you know, "over the air"? Is that zip supposed to be the file version of the OTA, installed via recovery to save time? If so, why would it be named 2.3.20; isn't that Froyo? Again, I've never done an OTA update, so that's probably the source of my confusion... :/

2. missionman

missionman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the OTA update is the newest over the air verizon ROM for the Droid 2. Its different because its the most recent version and its needed to flash the gingerbread cyanogenmod 2.3.7 and OTA's contain unobstructed code that other ROMs are missing or have modified.

the process is this: MAKE SURE you unroot your phone, Stock flash with RSDlite and stock ROM, OTA Gingerbread 2.3.3 update (whether you download this one here or use WiFi), THEN ROOT your phone and flash the CM7 Gingerbread ROM, (do a factory rest/wipe in recovery mode only if you get stuck in a bootloop after you reboot from CM7 flash), then youre all done. then you can try out nightly builds or just stay on the one in this thread. ive heard the nightly builds are great most times if you stick with the recent ones that keep improving.

If you cant update your ROM as #2 suggests above^ by applying the "update.zip:" in Stock recovery (like it wouldn't for me for some reason), then connect to WiFi and do the OTA update (Settings > About Phone > System Updates phone/update) after it downloads install it before the timer runs out on the install prompt. make sure youre not using verizons data connection to do your OTA. use WiFi.
    Dont be confused :biggrin: because ive noticed some ROMs (OTAs) are coded as "2.3.20" yet they come out as 2.3.3 on your phone. your best bet here is actually to OTA via WiFi. The current OTA Gingerbread from Verizon is actually a newest version.

Actually, just follow the beginning of this thread, the whole last 20+ replies above here ^ was Havens1515 trying to help me with my issues I was running into. If you have any issues ask him or me, now that i know what im doing. Just follow the thread and it should work exactly how its posted. My only issue was i was rooted during my RSDlite stock flash which you shouldn't do. It will leave dead superuser and busybox files on your phone and prevent you from doing proper roots later on. save your self the trouble and unroot your phone BEFORE you begin this thread cus believe me even after your Stock flash youll STILL have superuser and busy box on your phone (they still remain there even though your phones root gets messed up after a stock flash, hope you understand what im saying) but superuser wont work and will mess up rooting later on when you need too root. so begin all this with your phone unrooted, period.

#3578 missionman, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  3. havens1515

havens1515 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the file name is weird, but it is the right file. And yes, OTA updates are usually done over the air, but just as you said, this is a file that can be flashed from stock recovery to save time. As missionman said, follow the directions in the first post in the thread precisely, and you should have no problems. The directions are very thorough and they work.

4. joeblow789

joeblow789 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    New 1-21 build from PhantomGamers including:

• Portrait Mode Camcorder
    • Alt Lock
    • ICS Transitions (smooth, but otherwise not really noticeable)
    • Charge Only Mode
    • Probably other stuff I can't remember
    Index of /downloads/cm7gb/d2

5. ldopa

ldopa Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It's been running super nice for me since it was released a couple days ago. Highly recommend it!

6. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Good to see ya on here Domenic.

X

7. missionman

missionman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    is this ^ ROM better than the nightly ROM "cm_droid2_full-139" on Cyanogenmod? whats the difference?

8. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +17
    This ROM is the same thing, but with more fixes and tweaks. Plus its on the Gingerbread kernel.

X

9. havens1515

havens1515 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't flash nightly ROM 139. It's based on the Froyo kernel, and with your device setup as it is, you will end up in a bootloop.
    The ROM posted above has many more fixes and new features than the official nightlies anyway. The nightlies haven't been being built for a few months now, and the ROM that Joe posted has all new additions up to a couple days ago.

If you flash that ROM, you can just flash it from recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache (in advanced) without doing anything else.

10. rystan11

rystan11 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been on a miui binge and lving it, but feeling the need for cm7 lovin'. cm7's battery life any better with this 1_21 release? I also saw a 1_25 release as well. Jakebites still work with cm7?

11. havens1515

havens1515 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Battery life isn't terrible, but it's not great. I usually get 12 hours or so, but I've also had pretty high usage for quite a while, so 12 hours isn't bad for my usage. And yes, Jake's mods work.

12. droid2drummer

droid2drummer Silver Member

Ratings:
    +10
    There he is! No intro needed...eh Hum...What's up ldopa? Been asking around about you! Lol nice to see you still kicking. Of course I knew you weren't astray. Maybe in another forum. Anyway I'm getting ready to break out the D2. The lovely fast favorite. So anything I should know prior to flashing this badboy ROM in topic?

Motorola Droid Razr...
    Droid2Drummer..@themomentzero

Search tags for this page
android cm7 download
cm7 gingerbread rom

cm7 rom download

download cm7 rom
download rom cm7
droid 2 cm7
gingerbread rom
gingerbread rom cm7
gingerbread rom download