The Ceramic Essential Phone Gets A Drop Test

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The Essential phone finds itself in a unique situation durability wise. The phone is covered in Gorilla Glass 5 on the front, the frame is made of titanium, and the back is covered with ceramic. With both glass and ceramic it would seem that the phone wouldn't be very durable at all except for the fact the frame is built with titanium which would seem to add some impact resistance.

Zack from JerryRigEverything decided to drop test this phone. He dropped the Essential phone from his lap for the first test. The Glass cracked on the first drop. The glass and display continued to break in each subsequent drop while the ceramic back surprisingly lasted through all drops. Check out the video above.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
I'm really surprised that he couldn't get that ceramic back panel to crack. Very interesting.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
Ceramics are made to stop bullets, it's not your chinaware ceramic :)
True but I am a manager at an army CIF so I am exposed to these ceramic SAPI plates everyday. The reason they work is that they are several layers thick and almost an inch thick. If that phone is only one layer it would have to be some amazing ceramics to be that strong. It's definitely possible I guess or the tester got really lucky with the test phone. :)

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
How come toilets crack so easy then?

And that, my friends, is why I like Moto. Gorilla Glass 5? Bwahahaha.