The camera sucks

Discussion in 'Android Support' started by atomicwedgie, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Did you bother to read the entire thread or just make assumptions? My main comparison was to my Storm which indeed is another PHONE CAMERA and I felt it took much better pictures.

Hell, I think my wifes Omnia takes better pics but I will do an all out comparison this weekend.

Mind you, there are LOTS of people complaining about the camera and it's almost known now that it has issues.

2. windstrings

windstrings Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I may be imagining it, but the port hole that allows the light to come into the lens seems a bit small compared to my Dare "which takes excellent pics".

I'm also suspicious since the droid seems to not do so hot in dim lighting and "needs" a flash where my dare seldom needed a flash in any room that was comfortably lit within reason.
    If you can read a newspaper, it can take an excellent pic... I'm not seeing that with the droid.

However daylight pics are much better, but that may have to do with optics.

Even a small pair of binoculars look great in broad daylight, but in dim lighting, the exit pupil is too small with the lower mm optics to bring in enough light to get good colors etc.
    The quality and sensitivity of the electronics behind the lens make a difference too.

The encouraging thing is that if it takes good video.. it should take good pics with some tweaking.

On the other hand.... the video is marginal too in poor lighting.
    That makes me question hardware... hopefully, its all a software issue.

This is one thing I liked about the Omnia 2.. seems like it had large optics.
    Hopefully Google thought about this and we just need a tweak.

3. atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I concur... my Dare took excellent pictures. Probably the best of any phone I've owned with the Storm a close second.

4. tablatronix

tablatronix New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The camera is crap. At least in low light situations, like most camera phones. However the redeeming factor on this phone was supposed to be its 5mp, dual led flash, auto-focusing capability.

But that doesnt seem to be working.

I have 2 droids, one autofocuses green almost everytime I one-stop press the camera button. It will even auto focus on a printed document at <4 inches.

The other droid never auto focuses and always tries to but it misses the optimum focal length, you can see it focus right past the clearest image everytime. Always red. You can hear the 8-10 clicks as it cycles through its range and goes right past the clear focus.

Again to test this, under good indoor light (at night) using a printed document try to focus it from about 4-6 inches.

The wierd thing is that even the droid that goes green and says its focused still takes crap photos in low light, so even when it says green I believe its still not properly focused.

I also noticed another thing, when previewing the shot you took, click done and watch and listen to the autofocuser, its goes crazy recalibrating when going back to live preview. Very odd.

#52 tablatronix, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  5. tablatronix

tablatronix New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh and this is my version of Gardobus's image (prev page)

Mine does not focus and you can clearly see the difference (although my keyboard is slightly cleaner :) ). This is a problem not people complaining about camera phone quality in general so the naysayers can please shut it already.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tablatronics/Misc02#5402486180274976722

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#53 tablatronix, Nov 10, 2009
  6. gardobus

gardobus Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I set mine to Macro Focus when I did the keyboard shot, did you try that?

7. tablatronix

tablatronix New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Macro restricts the focus, but its still always red and its still takes the same photo as above. Same blurry mess.

When you use macro and take those close ups doe you get green focus corners ? I dont have the other droid with me to compare it.

Its almost as if there are 2 seperate issues or 1 effect.

The camera never knows when its actually focused and even when the camera optics are focused the camera somehow still takes an unfocused image. All images appear to be infinity focused.

#55 tablatronix, Nov 10, 2009
  8. atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have a light booth we use for taking photos of products. I've already done a few test images and they still suck. In a little while I'll post up pics from the Storm and the Droid as proof the problem is not just low light situations.

9. gardobus

gardobus Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can get green corners but I have to refocus a few times. It definitely doesn't like to focus and even in my pics you can see that it should have focused on the up/down keys since they were the main thing in the photo but instead it focused farther near the 4 key and left the up/down area blurry. So yeah I definitely can't wait for that Dec 11 update lol

10. atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ok here is the real test... Taken using a lightbooth, resting the phones on a tripod.

I took 3 pics with the Droid. One each at 2mp, 3mp and 5mp. Then one shot with the Storm at 3.2mp. All using AUTO for every setting.

You MUST enlarge the photos by clicking on the header on each to see the real image.

Droid at 2mp

[​IMG]

Droid at 3mp

[​IMG]

Droid at 5m
    [​IMG]

Storm at 3.2mp
    [​IMG]

11. atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie Member

Ratings:
    +1
    NOTE: Out of 13 tries, only once did I get the Droid to give me the green frames which means it focused properly. That photo was unusable due to user error though.

I think it's pretty clear that something is not being processed right within the camera software because as I showed in some posts back, the videos come out pretty damn good.

12. Danthok

Danthok Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That is a noticeable difference, hopefully the update December 11th will help the quality considerably.

With the Droid pictures it seems like the MP don't change just the image size is enlarged.

#60 Danthok, Nov 10, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

android camera sucks

android camera sucks, any fix?
android canera sucks
android stock camera sucks
htc rezound camera wont focus far away
motorola droid mini camera sucks
picsay pro back ground wallpapers