The camera sucks

Discussion in 'Android Support' started by atomicwedgie, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Daywalker, the reason you can read your document is because you stuck the camera right up on the paper. Try taking a few steps back away from it and take the picture again.

When you read a piece of paper infront of your face its easy, but when you try to read it from accross a room it can be difficult. This is because you can't see much detail from further away.

Your picture is not a good example of the detail.

640k,

Yes my lens was dirty. Even though the quality of both pictures was not great, it still showed the difference in detail between them. Actually the room was fairly lit in that picture. It was not very dark at all. I'm not going to hold a bright light behind me or open the window for full sun exposure to get a good picture, thats rediculous. I'ven ever had issues in that amount of light with any other phone camera I have used. The lighting was not great but it is should have been more than enough.

And my point about lower resolution looking horrible when "blown up" was to point out the disadvantage of being forced to use a lower resolution than what the phone is suppose to support. Who cares if its obvious that lower resolution pictures dont look good blown up? That wasn't the reason I talked about that. It was due to being forced to resort to a lower resolution when the phone should support a clear 5MP image.

#253 SwordOfWar, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i just looked at your pic again. you moved. the image is out of focus.

3. windstrings

windstrings Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok.. let me get this straight.... Are we saying we can take "better" pics in 3mp mode than 5mp?
    1. It makes sense that a higher mp picture downsized will look better than the same pic took at a lower mp.... is that the argument?
    2. Everytime a pic gets resized or monkied with, pieces of information get tossed that are not needed.
    That makes sense we dont want a small pic and make it bigger.... common sense says you cant get information out of thin air, so there will be gaps and it will take processing to fake and guess information to fill into the gaps to make up the difference in the act of making bigger.... which loses detail.

3. Is the argument here that the camera lens, light receptors, processing etc cannot truely process 5mp worth of information?..... if so, how does it get so big?.. Does the camera really take a 3 mp picture "because thats all it can process through the lens" and increase the size so you feel like you got a 5mp picture?

Something doesnt add up in this argument.

#255 windstrings, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  4. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it gave green bars. If thats not enough, then I can say if I did more some it was very little. That would be another downfall of the camera's performance then, as I'm not going to be a 100% still statue everytime I want a picture.

I may have moved a little, but I was trying to be still when I took it.

5. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ws, i don't know what the heck the argument is. you should always use whatever the native application of anything is. TVs, LCD monitos, cameras... if the native MP on a camera is 5MP, that is the size you should be taking images at. the theory of taking images in lower MP lets in more light (because your multiplying the number of sensors) doesn't work that way. each sensor will be letting in the same amoutn of light. you're not magically making the sensor larger by decreasing how many that you're using. if you're using four sensors as one instead of one sensor per four picels, that "one" sensor group will let in the same amount of light per sensor regardless.

if you take an image in 5mp and you resize/scale it down to a lower resolution, you will basically enhance the image because imperfections will not be as visible (you will have effectively compressed the image).

taking pics in lower MP/resolutions does not correct issues already present with said camera.

6. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    green bars or not, this isn't a DSLR. you moved for a split second or a split second too soon... it's hard to judge when the photo actually snaps. it's a good idea to stay still until the image reappears.

7. windstrings

Ratings:
    +0

8. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1. Well the argument here is that if the 5MP picture doesn't look good, we didn't need a 5MP lens (only a 3MP if thats what we are going to actually use).

2. I'm not saying that it should look good when resized. I'm saying that the fact we have to downsize the image to begin with (for better clarity) is reason enough to complain as to why it is advertised with a 5MP camera. Because if we do that, why do we need 5MP pictures to begin with?

3. The argument is that the camera, as of now, does not take a clear 5MP image. It supposedly has the hardware, but real live tests prove it fails terribly. I know phone cameras will never be as good as a dedicated camera, but for a phone thats suppose to have an excellent 5MP camera, its less than desirable in quality.

9. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    another pic further back. hard to take decent shots in low (office) light.

[​IMG]

10. windstrings

Ratings:
    +0
    True, we have to remember.. that "shutter" sound is just a sound file playing and has little relation to the actual shutter activity.

I don't think you have to wait till you see the pic appear, but thats the safest.

Main thing is to give it some breathing room.

11. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    first - 5mp does NOT refer to the lens. it is the sensor. 5mp = MORE pixels per sensor, which means less light per sensor, which means if you don't have a big lens, you're going to get noisy pics.

second - 5mp does NOT equaly quality. get that out of your head once and for all. quit listening toadvertisements. it's like buying a car strictly on HP numbers. you do not automatically get better pics because of higher MP. period.

12. atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Exactly why I take the majority of my shots at 3mp. If any of you go back and look at my test shots taken in lighting controlled conditions, it is clear that the 5mp shots are way noisier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

android camera sucks

android camera sucks, any fix?
android canera sucks
android stock camera sucks
htc rezound camera wont focus far away
motorola droid mini camera sucks
picsay pro back ground wallpapers
the android camera quality sucks
why 5mp camera sux