The camera sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

windstrings

Reaction score
Both of these pics were taken at 5mb setting, infinite focus, no flash at an angle through glass off the 6th floor of a building. I used the onscreen button to trigger the shot.
Considering the imperfections of glass.. shooting this through glass at an angle looks pretty good.

If you look closely at the horizon right of middle you can see the skyscrapers of Fort Worth Texas
Both are resized by photobucket to 1023 X 764px
I guess I'm gonna have to get an imageshack account to show bigger pictures.

Here is the first without further processing....
MonDec14161941AmericaChicago2009.jpg

Here is the second with a tad of contrast and color saturation bumped up in picsay pro....
MonDec14162141AmericaChicago2009.jpg

Last edited:

johnflo88

Reaction score
I guess everyone doesn't seem to understand what I'm saying here. Let me give you guys an example to prove my point.

Below I have attached 2 pictures. One of them is at the full 5MP resolution, and the other is downsized at a much smaller size/resolution.

Notice that in the 5MP/higher resolution picture you can barely make out some of the words in the document. If you take a look at the lower resolution picture, it is impossible to even guess what is written on the document.

While the lower resolution pictures does look more "clear", it is only because a lot of the detail in the picture is gone. You lose both the "grainy/bad/blocky detail" and the "good detail" when you downsize/lower the resolution of a picture.

Also, a very small image will look extremely horrible if you try to "blow it up" to print a large copy of it.

A high amount of MP does not guarantee high quality, but it does give you more detail. Lower resolution (MP) images will never have the amount of detail given by a higher resolution (MP) image.

Below is the same exact picture, only one is downsized while the other is at full resolution. You may have to click on the image and zoom or something similar in the browser to see the image at its full size.

High Resolution 5MP image (can barely read some of the words on the document):
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6274/examplecx.jpg

Low resolution/downsized (MP) image (impossible to read anything on the document):
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7643/examplewc.jpg

The problem is that this phone has a 5MP camera, but is unable to take a good-quality 5MP image. Downsizing or making the resolution smaller is not a real solution to the problem, for the above negative reasons I listed about downsizing an image. I want a full size clear picture, not a very small clear picture. This is what people are describing when they say the camera on this phone is not that great. So, I'll say it one more time... Why does this phone have a 5MP camera if it can not take a good 5MP picture? If we have to downsize an image to say 3MP for a good picture, then the phone only needs a 3MP camera. It is a waste to have a 5MP capable camera if it doesn't work correctly.

Why is everyone trying to justify the camera works great? It is obvious that it doesn't work as good as its should. Posting resized pictures is not credible for saying the quality of the camera is good. Almost any picture will look great if you shrink it enough (although you won't be able to see much detail)...

I'm sorry is this post came off as rude or such. I just want everyone here to realize the weaknesses of this camera. It needs improvement, and we shouldn't ignore it just because we don't want to admit that our phone is less than perfect.

agree and after all, it's a moto droid.I know they'll listen and do something about it,they cannot afford not to. This is not a iphone apple product. The iphone users are the most passive(me included) who thinks that it's the perfect phone on the planet.Have you ever heard of any iphone users complaining about their iphones? They're so afraid that if they do, Steve J. is going to sue them or take away their iphones. Have you also, ever try to argue with an iphone user, I just did,it's a waste of time.I am member of 2 iphone forum communities. All we talked is about how to protect the phones and 8gb,16gb but my is better than yours because my is white with 32gb,lol'
I found out about this commmunity since Dec,09' people are very helpful and very passionate with their Droids. Already people are complaining about the legit bugs with honesty.The biggest is the camera.
I think you were wrong about people not admitting that the camera is flaw.I hope motorola get it fix fast because I am selling both my iphone3g to get the Milestone when it launch in canada in early 2010 officially.

jthompsn

Reaction score
I know it can be different for each photo but what are the best general settings for the droid camera?

jthompsn

Reaction score
ok here are 3 more...I was as still as humanly possible for these three...
2009-12-14202835.jpg

2009-12-13202504.jpg

2009-12-14122210.jpg

Hector1959

Reaction score
Hello every one.
I have noticed if you use the screen capture button it takes better pictures than when using the side button. Try it I have noticed a big difference.
Thanks, that is all...

jthompsn

Reaction score
I wonder where he got that Idea?

LOL, hey what do you think of my pics (not in an Oh my God they are so amazing sort of way)?

Is this typical quality for the droid camera? Some of the other pics although taken in different light and such seem to be better quality? Pardon my lack of descriptive photography terminology!

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello every one.
I have noticed if you use the screen capture button it takes better pictures than when using the side button. Try it I have noticed a big difference.
Thanks, that is all...
on-screen button doesn't allow for you to focus before taking pics. the key isn't what you're doing WHEN you hit the button, it's what you're doing AFTER you hit the button.

it's not hard to take an OK picture. just don't move inbetween hitting the button (either of them) and while the screen is blank.

pictures will turn out fine in auto settings. there isn't some magic combination of settings that are making people's photos turn out better than yours.

jthompsn

Reaction score
it's not hard to take an OK picture. just don't move inbetween hitting the button (either of them) and while the screen is blank.

I will try this, as you can see my pics suck! LOL

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Closed

After careful consideration and a conversation wuth the OP. This thread is :closed_2:! If we want to continue a conversation on the camera. Please open a new thread

Status
Not open for further replies.