The camera sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
The grainy/blocky distorsion doesn't seem to be much of a problem in well lit areas. It gets decently bad in dark environments though. Downsizing the image can hide it but then you don't get the full 5MP image so what's the point.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pic I took for eBay.... in the basement... no windows... simple over head light in the room. Picture quality looks FINE to me...

Silver Member
Reaction score
The grainy/blocky distorsion doesn't seem to be much of a problem in well lit areas. It gets decently bad in dark environments though. Downsizing the image can hide it but then you don't get the full 5MP image so what's the point.
all of the images should be shot in the camera's native resolution (5mp) and then later resized for best image quality.

bhall

Reaction score
My camera works fantastic. It did even before the update.
Looks ok to me seeing as both my arm and the horses head were moving at the time

OMG - If my Droid would take pictures like that...Please Daywalker - can you provide all your settings?

Thanks!

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
all of the images should be shot in the camera's native resolution (5mp) and then later resized for best image quality.

You lose detail when you downsize. Why have a 5MP camera that only looks decent when you downsize it to like a 3MP image?

It might look better after the downsize but you lose more detail that way. For example, take a picture of a document paper from a fair distance. After you downsize the image you wont be able to read what's written on it.

Silver Member
Reaction score

You lose detail when you downsize. Why have a 5MP camera that only looks decent when you downsize it to like a 3MP image?

It might look better after the downsize but you lose more detail that way. For example, take a picture of a document paper from a fair distance. After you downsize the image you wont be able to read what's written on it.
that was directed towards the people who set their camera settings lower than "native." if an image is particularly noisey or has image problems, alot of it can be fixed by resizing.

MP != quality

Silver Member
Reaction score
here are some images i took of our new nursery

MonDec14142237AmericaNew_York2009.jpg

MonDec14142339AmericaNew_York2009.jpg

MonDec14142357AmericaNew_York2009.jpg

here's an image of my MIL's 50th b'day cake:
MonDec14142309AmericaNew_York2009.jpg

these photos are unedited except for Photobucket resizing them.

Daywalker

Reaction score

Very dark corner of Chilis at lunch

shot.jpg

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
I guess everyone doesn't seem to understand what I'm saying here. Let me give you guys an example to prove my point.

Below I have attached 2 pictures. One of them is at the full 5MP resolution, and the other is downsized at a much smaller size/resolution.

Notice that in the 5MP/higher resolution picture you can barely make out some of the words in the document. If you take a look at the lower resolution picture, it is impossible to even guess what is written on the document.

While the lower resolution pictures does look more "clear", it is only because a lot of the detail in the picture is gone. You lose both the "grainy/bad/blocky detail" and the "good detail" when you downsize/lower the resolution of a picture.

Also, a very small image will look extremely horrible if you try to "blow it up" to print a large copy of it.

A high amount of MP does not guarantee high quality, but it does give you more detail. Lower resolution (MP) images will never have the amount of detail given by a higher resolution (MP) image.

Below is the same exact picture, only one is downsized while the other is at full resolution. You may have to click on the image and zoom or something similar in the browser to see the image at its full size.

High Resolution 5MP image (can barely read some of the words on the document):
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6274/examplecx.jpg

Low resolution/downsized (MP) image (impossible to read anything on the document):
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7643/examplewc.jpg

The problem is that this phone has a 5MP camera, but is unable to take a good-quality 5MP image. Downsizing or making the resolution smaller is not a real solution to the problem, for the above negative reasons I listed about downsizing an image. I want a full size clear picture, not a very small clear picture. This is what people are describing when they say the camera on this phone is not that great. So, I'll say it one more time... Why does this phone have a 5MP camera if it can not take a good 5MP picture? If we have to downsize an image to say 3MP for a good picture, then the phone only needs a 3MP camera. It is a waste to have a 5MP capable camera if it doesn't work correctly.

Why is everyone trying to justify the camera works great? It is obvious that it doesn't work as good as its should. Posting resized pictures is not credible for saying the quality of the camera is good. Almost any picture will look great if you shrink it enough (although you won't be able to see much detail)...

I'm sorry is this post came off as rude or such. I just want everyone here to realize the weaknesses of this camera. It needs improvement, and we shouldn't ignore it just because we don't want to admit that our phone is less than perfect.

Last edited:

windstrings

Reaction score

I think your talking about "cropping" which steals a section of the existing photo and then "amplifies" it to get it back to size.. so yes you lose detail.
But if you take a 5mp pic and downsize it.. you still have all the information crammed into a smaller package so increased fidelity.

The high resolution of the 5mp allows the camera to suck in all it can, then its resized to smaller px.

I may be wrong too in the way Im explaining it, but I understand the concept.

The best way I can explain it... its like setting your dpi settings higher on your scanner. Then "if" you do zoom up and crop out a chunk, you will have more information in that chunk so it will look much better... and if you dont crop, the whole picture looks better, regardless of what size it is.

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess everyone doesn't seem to understand what I'm saying here. Let me give you guys an example to prove my point.

Below I have attached 2 pictures. One of them is at the full 5MP resolution, and the other is downsized at a much smaller size/resolution.

Notice that in the 5MP/higher resolution picture you can barely make out some of the words in the document. If you take a look at the lower resolution picture, it is impossible to even guess what is written on the document.

While the lower resolution pictures does look more "clear", it is only because a lot of the detail in the picture is gone. You lose both the "grainy/bad/blocky detail" and the "good detail" when you downsize/lower the resolution of a picture.

Also, a very small image will look extremely horrible if you try to "blow it up" to print a large copy of it.

A high amount of MP does not guarantee high quality, but it does give you more detail. Lower resolution (MP) images will never have the amount of detail given by a higher resolution (MP) image.

Below is the same exact picture, only one is downsized while the other is at full resolution. You may have to click on the image and zoom or something similar in the browser to see the image at its full size.

High Resolution 5MP image (can barely read some of the words on the document):
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6274/examplecx.jpg

Low resolution/downsized (MP) image (impossible to read anything on the document):
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7643/examplewc.jpg

The problem is that this phone has a 5MP camera, but is unable to take a good-quality 5MP image. Downsizing or making the resolution smaller is not a real solution to the problem, for the above negative reasons I listed about downsizing an image. I want a full size clear picture, not a very small clear picture. This is what people are describing when they say the camera on this phone is not that great. So, I'll say it one more time... Why does this phone have a 5MP camera if it can not take a good 5MP picture? If we have to downsize an image to say 3MP for a good picture, then the phone only needs a 3MP camera. It is a waste to have a 5MP capable camera if it doesn't work correctly.

Why is everyone trying to justify the camera works great? It is obvious that it doesn't work as good as its should. Posting resized pictures is not credible for saying the quality of the camera is good. Almost any picture will look great if your shrink it enough (although you won't be able to see much detail)...
no, i don't think you're understanding the basics of camera fundamentals. the picture you took is noisy because of many variations. you've taken the picture in low light, it wasn't the best focus range for what you were trying to accomplish and you were probably on the wrong setting. not to mention your lens was probably dirty the time you took that pic.

you don't take a low res photo and blow it up. of course you're going to lose detail. you can only (safely) go down in resolution with digital images, depending on the DPI the camera has the ability to take.

here's two pics i just took in full res, auto everything (flash off):
MonDec14152757AmericaNew_York2009.jpg

MonDec14152857AmericaNew_York2009.jpg

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
Daywalker, the reason you can read your document is because you stuck the camera right up on the paper. Try taking a few steps back away from it and take the picture again.

When you read a piece of paper infront of your face its easy, but when you try to read it from accross a room it can be difficult. This is because you can't see much detail from further away.

Your picture is not a good example of the detail.

640k,

Yes my lens was dirty. Even though the quality of both pictures was not great, it still showed the difference in detail between them. Actually the room was fairly lit in that picture. It was not very dark at all. I'm not going to hold a bright light behind me or open the window for full sun exposure to get a good picture, thats rediculous. I'ven ever had issues in that amount of light with any other phone camera I have used. The lighting was not great but it is should have been more than enough.

And my point about lower resolution looking horrible when "blown up" was to point out the disadvantage of being forced to use a lower resolution than what the phone is suppose to support. Who cares if its obvious that lower resolution pictures dont look good blown up? That wasn't the reason I talked about that. It was due to being forced to resort to a lower resolution when the phone should support a clear 5MP image.

Last edited:

Silver Member
Reaction score
Daywalker, the reason you can read your document is because you stuck the camera right up on the paper. Try taking a few steps back away from it and take the picture again.

When you read a piece of paper infront of your face its easy, but when you try to read it from accross a room it can be difficult. This is because you can't see much detail from further away.

Your picture is not a good example of the detail.
i just looked at your pic again. you moved. the image is out of focus.

windstrings

Reaction score
ok.. let me get this straight.... Are we saying we can take "better" pics in 3mp mode than 5mp?
1. It makes sense that a higher mp picture downsized will look better than the same pic took at a lower mp.... is that the argument?
2. Everytime a pic gets resized or monkied with, pieces of information get tossed that are not needed.
That makes sense we dont want a small pic and make it bigger.... common sense says you cant get information out of thin air, so there will be gaps and it will take processing to fake and guess information to fill into the gaps to make up the difference in the act of making bigger.... which loses detail.

3. Is the argument here that the camera lens, light receptors, processing etc cannot truely process 5mp worth of information?..... if so, how does it get so big?.. Does the camera really take a 3 mp picture "because thats all it can process through the lens" and increase the size so you feel like you got a 5mp picture?

Something doesnt add up in this argument.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.