1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

The camera sucks

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by atomicwedgie, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie New Member

I've been playing with the camera now for 1/2 hour and have yet to get one decent picture. They are horribly pixelated, unfocused (even after I get green lines) and dark. :mad:

UPDATING THIS WITH NEW RESULTS WITH SAMPLE PICTURES
    If you don't want to read the whole thread, this LINK is a good starting point now.

I AM COPYING THIS FROM MY POST ON PAGE 6 FOR THOSE THAT ARE READING THIS THREAD FOR THE FIRST TIME.
    This was a more fair comparison I did after my original shoot on the first page.

Ok here is the real test... Taken using a lightbooth, resting the phones on a tripod.

I took 3 pics with the Droid. One each at 2mp, 3mp and 5mp. Then one shot with the Storm at 3.2mp. All using AUTO for every setting.

You MUST enlarge the photos by clicking on the header on each to see the real image.

Droid at 2mp

[​IMG]

Droid at 3mp

[​IMG]

Droid at 5m
    [​IMG]

Storm at 3.2mp
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  2. Jason

Jason New Member

I disagree I've seen many good pictures taken from it. Unless you expect it to take professional pictures then you may not like it but its good from what I have seen. I'm going to get mine in an hour and ill tell if I agree with you then
  3. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Let's all just hope for a software update soon to fix the camera issue.
  4. atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie New Member

My Storm took WAAAAYYY better pics than this. WAY better. I will upload a couple I took with the Droid and post them here.
  5. atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie New Member

Taken with the Droid
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  6. Dark-V

Dark-V New Member

That looks like a damn good picture to me. being 5mp doesn't mean it's got the same optics as a regular camera. It's a cell phone camera...
  7. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I'll take that picture quality on a cell phone any day!
  8. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned New Member

That picture is awful! The camera made that pretty spring meadow you were taking a picture of look like the parking lot behind a building! :icon_eek:

Seriously, that is kind of typical for a cell phone camera. They don't have the room for all the fancy optics that a regular digital camera has.
  9. teknotronik

teknotronik New Member

The image looks bad at the full resolution..but..

The image looks bad at the full resolution..but who ever views a resolution that big.. It's called resize to a smaller resolution it will squeeze the pixels together and you wont even notice it....
    -B
  10. danDroid

danDroid Administrator Staff Member

It doesn't look bad when the photo is re-sized.. however the original photo is 2592x1936 and viewing at that res it looks pretty bad..
  11. atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie New Member

I just went out and took the same shot with my Storm. However the clouds have moved in so the lighting is a little different. Seeing this shot now, I'll change my outlook to, "The camera is no great shakes" because the Storm image is only a little better.

Taken with the Storm

[​IMG]
  12. atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie New Member

LOL

I know about cameras... my wife is a camera freak. You have to look at the image fullsize to see the issues.

Yes I can resize it down and massage in Photoshop to improve.

My memory of the pics taken with the Storm was obviously skewed as my test image taken just now proved to be less that awesomeness.
  13. Jason

Jason New Member

agreed. I'll take that quality any day. If you want a the best pictures get a Camera
  14. atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie New Member

Ok here are both pics tweaked... sized the same and mind you I work in PS for a living.

First the sized/edited Droid shot

[​IMG]

Taken with the Storm
    [​IMG]

See all the color noise in the cars on the Droid shot?

GRANTED... I need to do a lot of playing with the camera to see what can be tweaked but I wanted a fair "pull it out of the box and take a pic" comparison.
  15. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Yeah. I have taken about 10 pictures with my phone, all tests... close ups, and far aways. They all seem to work fine, the close-ups take an extra second but nothing bad. So far i'm happy with it, but if they want to improve it, ill let them :)
  16. schreid

schreid New Member

Looks like the camera has a high ISO. Is there an ISO adjustment in it(light/Dark). Higher ISO cause a grainy look.
  17. turnerjoy

turnerjoy New Member

You really would need to take the same picture back to back to compare. Lighting is the most important part of photography, in the end photography is just recording light.

It seems in the first photo you are seeing the harsh I'm guessing pre-noon sun and then the cloud cover is diffusing the light giving the storm better colors.

I didn't do any pixel peeping but its possible that the Storm is "cheating" a bit more and doing some processing on the "unprocessed" image.

You can thank the long time Megapixel and chip size arms race for color noise. All other things being equal the more pixels you try to capture per area the more noise you will have.

Thankfully in some cases noise can be improved with firmware updates (as was the case with my beloved Sony A700).
  18. turnerjoy

turnerjoy New Member

Ok I just enlarged the photos a bit and you are right that the noise in the shadow areas of the tree are pretty horrid on your droid shot, I'll have to investigate this soon when I'm on the monitor I use for photo stuff.
  19. atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie New Member

I played with it a little more this weekend and it is having serious issues trying to focus. I am wondering if this is a hardware problem (although there are none of the clicking noises people have talked about) or if a software update can solve this.
  20. gardobus

gardobus New Member

For a cell phone I'm liking it. I'll admit that my Storm did take the pics quicker and they appear to be a little nicer. It isn't a big enough differrence for me to hate this camera though and once the focus is fixed and speed is improved a bit I'll have no issues. I actually set mine to 3mp because I'll NEVER need 5mp on my phone lol I think it improved the speed a LITTLE.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

android camera sucks

android camera sucks, any fix?
android stock camera sucks
htc rezound camera wont focus far away
motorola droid mini camera sucks
motorola droid razr camera sucks
picsay pro back ground wallpapers
s4 camera sucks
the android camera quality sucks