The Camera SUCKS...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, I don't use any camera apps on the phone. I would think the camera should function correctly on its own. Shouldn't it? At least take a 5mp picture if I set it to 5mp. I don't think I'm asking too much...just for it to do what it says it is going to do.

I thought you were looking for a solution. Sorry. I totally misunderstood.

No man, he came here to complain. Solutions. I hate it when people bring those up.;)

JCo352

Reaction score
I thought it took pretty descent pics, im not photographer though, is this a good quality pic?

Attachments

• 2010-02-11 14.47.54.jpg
    2010-02-11 14.47.54.jpg
    902.2 KB · Views: 298

Ziffy

Reaction score
I am sorry if my reply came off as complaining. I can try to explain it, and possibly later I can post some pics. For example, the image size is 2592x1936 on a 5mp picture, however when you take a picture holding the camera vertically the size is always smaller. I have one that is actually 864x656! I never changed my settings, so I guess I am wondering if this happens to anybody else.

Thanks!

Z

bllarkin

Reaction score
I just checked all of the pictures that I have taken in the vertical orientation and all seem to be fine.

droidtom

Reaction score
I do hate that so many of the threads are now coming across sounding like complaining which reminds me of crackberry, but in this case, he does have a point. I too had a BB Storm though mine was gen 1. The single LED flas on that thing was SUPER bright and the camera was awesome. You can tell how bright the flash is by switching it to video mode and going in a dark room. The BB one would light up the room well. It made nightime photos work well. I do think there's a hardware limitation here and it's probably somewhat of a limitation of the thickness of the back chassis since we have the slide out. But, I'm about to download the app you guys are suggesting to see if it makes a difference. There were updates with BB that did cause the camera to work differently so I had been holding out for 2.1 to see if the camera implementation was better. But, I'm bored of waiting and would love for the camera to work better.

slinky

Reaction score
I am sorry if my reply came off as complaining. I can try to explain it, and possibly later I can post some pics. For example, the image size is 2592x1936 on a 5mp picture, however when you take a picture holding the camera vertically the size is always smaller. I have one that is actually 864x656! I never changed my settings, so I guess I am wondering if this happens to anybody else.
Weird. Check the settings. Make sure 5MP i checked in the camera.

slinky

Reaction score
I do hate that so many of the threads are now coming across sounding like complaining which reminds me of crackberry, but in this case, he does have a point. I too had a BB Storm though mine was gen 1. The single LED flas on that thing was SUPER bright and the camera was awesome. You can tell how bright the flash is by switching it to video mode and going in a dark room. The BB one would light up the room well. It made nightime photos work well. I do think there's a hardware limitation here and it's probably somewhat of a limitation of the thickness of the back chassis since we have the slide out. But, I'm about to download the app you guys are suggesting to see if it makes a difference. There were updates with BB that did cause the camera to work differently so I had been holding out for 2.1 to see if the camera implementation was better. But, I'm bored of waiting and would love for the camera to work better.

The complaints are 100% justified. The flash is so bright in the center that you can see the gradation all across your image when it fires. The center will be overexposed and sides underexposed. I just wonder if anyone at Motorola bothered to test the camera, despite giving it a lot of features in the software.

Additionally, I don't care if I have 450 different settings for type of light - why didn't they have a focus point on the camera? Totally ridiculous. So if you have objects at different distances, the camera plays havoc trying to focus on one object (hopefully the right one) and blurring everything else.

My 3MP iPhone camera was better but always too dark. This one just is poor on the focus because of the software and hope that some focusing commands in software will take care of problems.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Other than low light pictures, my Droid caamera works great. Crisp and clear with no issues focusing.

slinky

Reaction score
Other than low light pictures, my Droid caamera works great. Crisp and clear with no issues focusing.

Good for you. Unfortunately this is written up in almost every review and I found it consistent. On the phone the pictures look reasonably good but when you see them on your PC you can see just how unfocused they really are. The flash though... yikes.

Thanks for the pictures gentlefury. These are all outdoor and optimum lighting and the pictures still aren't that impressive although some are quite good. Some of them are nice but so many are very blurry on top, bottom, etc. The colors are also somewhat washed out or so it seems. At times the pictures are sharp - some of the animals and pictures of mountains look very good. The problem is consistency and a reasonably good shot. If I showed you my 3GS camera pictures at 3MP you'd be shocked. My brother's Blackberry 3MP Tour also takes more colorful and crisp pictures - I was shocked. Again, I'm hoping the software is just not taking advantage of the glass and focus. It's hard to make the girl look just nice as the Droid doesn't capture what we know it should flatter easily. ;)

RedEyeDroid

Reaction score
What I really want.

The complaints are 100% justified. The flash is so bright in the center that you can see the gradation all across your image when it fires. The center will be overexposed and sides underexposed. I just wonder if anyone at Motorola bothered to test the camera, despite giving it a lot of features in the software.

Additionally, I don't care if I have 450 different settings for type of light - why didn't they have a focus point on the camera? Totally ridiculous. So if you have objects at different distances, the camera plays havoc trying to focus on one object (hopefully the right one) and blurring everything else.

My 3MP iPhone camera was better but always too dark. This one just is poor on the focus because of the software and hope that some focusing commands in software will take care of problems.

I have no complaints about most of the features of the camera. A "Spot" focus option would be nice, too.

What I'm really looking for is a software upgrade that will give me a "VIVID" (higher color contrast) setting.

Does the "PRO Zoom Camera 5X" bright/contrast setting make a difference? How much photo saving (storing) "lag" do I have to give-in to for the benefit of more vivid pictures? Does it uninstall cleanly if I decide to dump it? Thanks for any info.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Does the "PRO Zoom Camera 5X" bright/contrast setting make a difference? How much photo saving (storing) "lag" do I have to give-in to for the benefit of more vivid pictures? Does it uninstall cleanly if I decide to dump it? Thanks for any info.

Popcrowd Software Their website

PRO Zoom Camera 5X Application For Google Android. A Better Way To Operate Your Camera A review

I'm not a camera guy and don't know the answers. Maybe you can find them at these sites. Good luck.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

Good for you. Unfortunately this is written up in almost every review and I found it consistent. On the phone the pictures look reasonably good but when you see them on your PC you can see just how unfocused they really are. The flash though... yikes.

Thanks for the pictures gentlefury. These are all outdoor and optimum lighting and the pictures still aren't that impressive although some are quite good. Some of them are nice but so many are very blurry on top, bottom, etc. The colors are also somewhat washed out or so it seems. At times the pictures are sharp - some of the animals and pictures of mountains look very good. The problem is consistency and a reasonably good shot. If I showed you my 3GS camera pictures at 3MP you'd be shocked. My brother's Blackberry 3MP Tour also takes more colorful and crisp pictures - I was shocked. Again, I'm hoping the software is just not taking advantage of the glass and focus. It's hard to make the girl look just nice as the Droid doesn't capture what we know it should flatter easily. ;)

I agree 100%.. even in minimal light, you get a giant 5 mpx of a bunch of gainy stuff..I wa gonna buy other software for it, but Im not sure if its a software or hardware issue.

cool username

Reaction score
the camera is the only complaint i have about the droid too...
my LG enV took wayyy better pics than my droid. but i don't really care, its just a camera phone.

the thing that really annoyed my was when i very first got it, the whole camera app lagged horribly. the flash would turn on and then turn off and THEN it would take the picture. and then when i clicked to look at my photos it took 20+ seconds to load.
fortunately this only lasted about a week and now its fine... weird.

slinky

Reaction score

I agree 100%.. even in minimal light, you get a giant 5 mpx of a bunch of gainy stuff..I wa gonna buy other software for it, but Im not sure if its a software or hardware issue.

I just saw a post for this: Snap Photo Pro - I don't care to post such links but anyone can Google it and it is relevant. I may buy this one because it seems to have the antishake mechanism I was talking about and key to good pictures.