The camera is horrible

OP
pool_shark

pool_shark

Reaction score
I've taken a few more pictures with the default camera app and they didn't come out so bad. It appears to take much better pictures if the lighting is really good.

2010-08-22_18-45-52_462.jpg

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
once in awhile this camera takes a nice shot, but it is very inconsistent, even in the same lighting situations - which makes me wonder if it is more a software issue for some things.

txter

Reaction score
ive only had the phone for a few days. i came from an Omnia also. i do love the Omnia's camera. but i dont think this one is too bad. i was at a fair yesterday and took a bunch of pix and they came out great. everything is set to default. i did notice that if i hold the shutter button down half way for a second it gives the lens time to focus and the pix is better than just snapping away.
all in all...its not bad for a phone camera.

OP
pool_shark

pool_shark

Reaction score
once in awhile this camera takes a nice shot, but it is very inconsistent, even in the same lighting situations - which makes me wonder if it is more a software issue for some things.

I agree, it's very sporadic, though it does seem to take better pics in widescreen than 5mp.

Reaction score
I Agree the camera on this phone is junk The 8 megapixels is a lie it is just printed on there it is really a 1 megapixel and y should you have to git a app to make the camera better no other phone has needed that

You're obviously no photographer, but you should know that megapixels do not the picture quality, I have a 12.1 megapixel camera, but my grandfather's $1200 camera is 10.1 and takes far superior photographs. The droid X does have an 8 megapixel camera, people often confuse megapixels with quality and clarity, it's just how many pixels and in a photograph.

HAHA someone gets it!!!!

sensor size is the problem with cellphone cameras, the MP tells you how big the picture is at full resolution, compare a point and shoot camera with a dslr, both 10mp.... you will see a BIG difference.

Reaction score
Why does everyone keep saying "this isn't a real camera?"

Like that matters somehow?

No one is asking for professional quality images. They are asking for images good enough to use for a website, their facebook, twitter, etc. They only want "good enough" and not necessarily "OMG! Looks like it was taken with a $10,000 camera!" good.

Face it... the images suck for the most part. Pixelated zoom, blurry, grainy a lot of the time, no matter WHICH settings you use, and poor saturation.

The camera needs some work. There is no denying that.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why does everyone keep saying "this isn't a real camera?"

Like that matters somehow?

No one is asking for professional quality images. They are asking for images good enough to use for a website, their facebook, twitter, etc. They only want "good enough" and not necessarily "OMG! Looks like it was taken with a $10,000 camera!" good.

Face it... the images suck for the most part. Pixelated zoom, blurry, grainy a lot of the time, no matter WHICH settings you use, and poor saturation.

The camera needs some work. There is no denying that.

I think the camera works fine, great pictures and since I've been here longer then you that makes me right and you wrong. :p

Now that we've settled that, can anyone tell me please,
Where the heck is the zoom at?
If someone would be kind enough to tell me then you would have my gratitude.

If there is no zoom on this thing, then I'll agree with everyone else that the camera blows chunks

Barristro

Reaction score

If there is no zoom on this thing, then I'll agree with everyone else that the camera blows chunks

Volume control switches. Doesn't your camera tell you that when you first start it?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Volume control switches. Doesn't your camera tell you that when you first start it?

I did what every other red blooded American Male does. I ignored that.

I tried the volume because that actually made sense to me. Let me try it again. Thank you.

Edit. Works just like the Barristro said. But it also had some major pixellation when I zoomed.

Well, I really only want the camera in the car for taking pictures of when that jerk behind me rear ends me. For that it will be fine. :)

Pandemic187

Reaction score
Ps - if anybody is interested, check this link out:

Flickr: Camera Finder: Nikon: D1

This is an old, obsolete camera. 2.74 megapixels. The link will show the camera, and photographs taken by the camera.

I'll award a gold star to anyone who renders that quality from the Droid 2's 5mp camera =)
Yeah, but this isn't a fair comparison. Did you read this?

You're obviously no photographer, but you should know that megapixels do not the picture quality, I have a 12.1 megapixel camera, but my grandfather's $1200 camera is 10.1 and takes far superior photographs. The droid X does have an 8 megapixel camera, people often confuse megapixels with quality and clarity, it's just how many pixels and in a photograph.
He is correct. Even though the camera you mentioned has a lower number of pixels and it older, it's also a DSLR, an entirely separate camera, and was on its own probably more expensive to produce than the D2.

wkearney99

Reaction score
He is correct. Even though the camera you mentioned has a lower number of pixels and it older, it's also a DSLR, an entirely separate camera, and was on its own probably more expensive to produce than the D2.

In the case of a DSLR there's the matter of much better optics. But what I'm seeing in the pictures isn't a matter of optics, it's a matter of what looks like over-compression. Although, even better optics won't overcome poor image handling.

As in, take a picture with your DSLR and then save it using very high jpeg compression. There will be a lot of blotchy patches in the picture. Especially noticeable in faces. That's what I see from pix with the D2.

So I'm wondering is the compression a matter of the software controlling the camera? Or is the camera hardware itself incapable of providing less compressed image data?