The camera is horrible

OP
pool_shark

pool_shark

Reaction score
I am only going to say one thing: The camera on the Omnia *sucked* compared to the Droid's. You are imagining this, or you are changing the settings unknown to yourself. Lighting is also completely dependent on photo outcome. But as an owner of the Omnia, and the Droid, whose camera hardware is identical, you are mistaken.

I'm not going to debate this with you. I have taken a ton of pics with the Omnia and each one was crystal clear, even from a distance. The ones I just took with the droid are very grainy.

Google droid camera sucks and you'll see I'm not the only one who sees it.

I googled, "omnia camera sucks" and yes omnia camera sucks too!! :p

Can't please everyone, but looking at the two pics, I'd take the Omnia camera every time.

mikeroscope

Reaction score
I also noticed this camera is terrible. I haven't taken any outside yet though. But most pics i would want to take are inside. The grain is ridiculous. The auto flash blows out faces and gives people demon eyes. I think I will just turn the flash off for most photos.

khaf

Reaction score
I have 6 phones in my house 3 omnias 3 droids. One droid and one omnia have custom roms. All 3 omnias take good pictures and the droids well you alreadyu know. I thought when I got the droid the pictures would be better Ive taken pics at the Zoo,Malls, and plenty of other places during all times of dsay and nite and the droid is a disapointment when it comes to the camera. I took photography and advanced photography and yes i know that phone cameras arrent the greatest but ive had plenty of older phones that took better pictures than the droid.

aozoranotsuki

Reaction score
i came from the env touch and its daytime pictures were crystal clear though it didnt do well at all in the dark, but the droid 2, which has 2 more megapixels, looks like complete crap, yeah it can zoom in at the highest settings, but everything just looks grainy and fuzzy

Reaction score
Well, I have been less than impressed with the picture quality. However... I do see that the camera takes the best pictures with everything set at auto. They are still blurry in a lot of cases, but I get more clear, sharp ones than before.

tobytl

Reaction score
Yea, the camera isn't great. But I think you may have a bad sample. I've owned a D1 since it was released, a DX and now testing my mom's D2, and all three produce pictures that are worlds better than the one you uploaded.

Taken from the D2, ignore my lack of gunpla skill... (not to mention the obvious lack of sex...). To me at least, it looks waaaay better than the droid pic, and maybe a bit better than the omnia pic (again, to me...). All settings on default, including the flash, nearly completely dark room.

Attachments

• 2010-08-18_04-53-05_735.jpg
    2010-08-18_04-53-05_735.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 208
OP
pool_shark

pool_shark

Reaction score
Yea, the camera isn't great. But I think you may have a bad sample. I've owned a D1 since it was released, a DX and now testing my mom's D2, and all three produce pictures that are worlds better than the one you uploaded.

Taken from the D2, ignore my lack of gunpla skill... (not to mention the obvious lack of sex...). To me at least, it looks waaaay better than the droid pic, and maybe a bit better than the omnia pic (again, to me...). All settings on default, including the flash, nearly completely dark room.

That is great pic. Mine are just so pixelated.

OP
pool_shark

pool_shark

Reaction score
I took this one with ISO at auto, exposure at 0, and widescreen instead of 5mp. It doesn't look bad.

2010-08-18_08-25-44_562.jpg

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
can u get rid of folders under gallery like: camera roll my tags etc and jus have "all photos"

As far as I know, this can only be done with a file manager like Androzip (free in market)

lkariher

Reaction score
I Agree the camera on this phone is junk The 8 megapixels is a lie it is just printed on there it is really a 1 megapixel and y should you have to git a app to make the camera better no other phone has needed that

You're obviously no photographer, but you should know that megapixels do not the picture quality, I have a 12.1 megapixel camera, but my grandfather's $1200 camera is 10.1 and takes far superior photographs. The droid X does have an 8 megapixel camera, people often confuse megapixels with quality and clarity, it's just how many pixels and in a photograph.

tobytl

Reaction score
I have 6 phones in my house 3 omnias 3 droids.

Why? what couldou possible do with more than two.

Don't know his situation, but if it's like mine, those six phones could be owned by six different people... In my home, there are 1xD1 2xD2 2xDX and 1xHTC TouchPro.

The D1 and one of the DX's are mine. D2's are my sister's and mom's. The other DX is my cousin's. And the crappy winmo is my dad's (work, can't have data).

AmericanJambo

Reaction score
My D2 takes really grainy crappy pics. The camera on the Blackberry Bold at 3.2mp was WAY better. The BB camera was clear, clean and crisp with great color. i'm really starting to be unhappy with the D2. TONS of bugs and the quality of the pics and cals is not very good at all. i think motorola really effed this one up.

wkearney99

Reaction score
I think I'm on the side of the argument that says it takes crappy pix. I can't compare it to other phones as my previous ones took crappy pix too. Compared to my 6MP Canon SD630 they're horrible. Granted, an actual camera is likely to have an edge, but it's MUCH, MUCH better than the terrible pictures from the Droid2. I noticed the widescreen setting takes pictures of 3mb in size. The 5MP setting does take slightly more detailed pictures, but with the same poor image quality. Daylight (at the beach) or indoors doesn't matter, the pictures are poorly digitized. Looking rather blocky, like they're JPEGs that are WAY too compressed. Is there a setting for this to improve the compression quality?

WhiteSoul8

Reaction score
ikariher:

Being a photographer, lol, you hit the nail on the head regarding "megapixels vs. quality".

It's very similar to an engine - size/displacement doesn't always equate to speed, durability, nor quality.

I am not happy with the Droid 2's camera, and I feel it is a disappointment. It reminds me of point and shoot digital technology from five years ago. The best results from this camera (and most cameras) require optimal lighting. Optimal, meaning, not too dark - and not too bright. Similar to what we'd see outdoors around 3:00pm during this time of year. Most digital cameras perform fine under these circumstances and what discerns a good camera from a bad camera, is how it performs outside of these parameters.

The photographs I've taken with this phone during "optimal conditions" are horrible. I would still rather stuff my pocket with a point and shoot camera than rely on this camera for snapshots.

Sure, the D2's camera will "get the job done" - and the job won't look all that good! I only use it to take pictures of where I park, business cards, and other moments where a visual reference is needed.

While I love the Droid 2, part of the phone's concept was it's integration with social networking. People who use social applications are always uploading and tagging photographs. For this reason alone, Motorola should have focused a little more on the camera portion of the phone.

I Agree the camera on this phone is junk The 8 megapixels is a lie it is just printed on there it is really a 1 megapixel and y should you have to git a app to make the camera better no other phone has needed that

You're obviously no photographer, but you should know that megapixels do not the picture quality, I have a 12.1 megapixel camera, but my grandfather's $1200 camera is 10.1 and takes far superior photographs. The droid X does have an 8 megapixel camera, people often confuse megapixels with quality and clarity, it's just how many pixels and in a photograph.