The AR Drone

pabtheghost

Reaction score
saw it at brookstone a couple of weeks ago, has anyone played with it yet? i saw it was originally produced for iOS so im wondering how well it works with android. i am stoked for future generations of this thing to see how it develops

AR.Drone Parrot - AR-Freeflight

Rodimus4180

Reaction score
There's one or two at my local hobby shop but I never played with one myself ( was always too occupied with getting spare parts for my T- Rex ). I spoke with one of the employees there and the quadcopter was brought up and be said he enjoyed it but I never really got into any depth about it. Admittedly I would have liked to played with one myself, but as I said I was always pr-occupied with my heli.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

OP
P

pabtheghost

Reaction score
fair enough. i heard the battery life is limited to 15-30 minutes, which is kind of a set back, but i guess i cant really imagine using it for longer in one sitting. i was thinking though, how crazy would it be if it were connected to your phone via 4G... basically unlimited range in 4G areas. if it did have longer battery life, you could use it to visit neighboring cities.

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They look really cool, I want to get some hands-on time with one to see how well it works

Rodimus4180

Reaction score
From what the guy at the lhs said its connected to the drone via bluetooth. As for a 15 minute flight time id love that on my heli, best I ever got was just over nine minutes and that was cutting it close to going undervoltage on the battery.

OP
P

pabtheghost

Reaction score
the site says the drone creates an ad hoc wifi connection. if it were bluetooth there would never be enough range. those things are supposed to get up to 150 feet in an open area

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I actually just bought a couple as Christmas gifts, as well as one for myself. I haven't set it up yet; I've been busy with other holiday preparations, but I'll be sure to update after I get it set up.

Rodimus4180

Reaction score
the site says the drone creates an ad hoc wifi connection. if it were bluetooth there would never be enough range. those things are supposed to get up to 150 feet in an open area

Guess that's what I get for just looking at the pretty pictures on the site... lol

dave52355

Reaction score
I had looked at them to use as extra " eyes ". I'm in a wheelchair and use a Wowee Rovio controlled with my Bionic for seeing things low and under beds and things. I found a transmission leak on my car this way. I thought of using the drone with camera for looking above me head in the closet, loft, check roof type of stuff. Type of stuff a person might normally use a step ladder to do. Alas it was way out of my price range. Maybe Santa will bring one :)

OP
P

pabtheghost

Reaction score
I had looked at them to use as extra " eyes ". I'm in a wheelchair and use a Wowee Rovio controlled with my Bionic for seeing things low and under beds and things. I found a transmission leak on my car this way. I thought of using the drone with camera for looking above me head in the closet, loft, check roof type of stuff. Type of stuff a person might normally use a step ladder to do. Alas it was way out of my price range. Maybe Santa will bring one :)

i more or less had a similar view. the implications for surveillance are pretty damn attractive. hopefully the price will drop in a few months... $300 is just way out for me right now

dave52355

Reaction score
It be handy. I had some shingles blow off the roof, wheelchairs don't do ladders well. Be nice to be able to buzz the thing up to the roof and have a look see before having to call someone. To me its just another method of independence, just like the Rovio I use for low stuff that I can't see/get to.

Maybe some day

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been tempted by the AR Drone from way back. I sent them an email asking when they'd have it work with Android, but didn't get a reply or anything. Yeah, I ant to see if the price will drop too.

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
Just played with it for the first time this morning and it is AWESOME. Paired up flawlessly with my Bionic, the video quality is amazing, and it's great to play with. I bought one for my boyfriend and as soon as he gets his up and running, we're gonna take it outside and dogfight!!