The AR Drone

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by pabtheghost, Dec 17, 2011.

1. pabtheghost

pabtheghost Member

Ratings:
    +0
    saw it at brookstone a couple of weeks ago, has anyone played with it yet? i saw it was originally produced for iOS so im wondering how well it works with android. i am stoked for future generations of this thing to see how it develops

AR.Drone Parrot - AR-Freeflight

2. Rodimus4180

Rodimus4180 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    There's one or two at my local hobby shop but I never played with one myself ( was always too occupied with getting spare parts for my T- Rex ). I spoke with one of the employees there and the quadcopter was brought up and be said he enjoyed it but I never really got into any depth about it. Admittedly I would have liked to played with one myself, but as I said I was always pr-occupied with my heli.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

3. pabtheghost

pabtheghost Member

Ratings:
    +0
    fair enough. i heard the battery life is limited to 15-30 minutes, which is kind of a set back, but i guess i cant really imagine using it for longer in one sitting. i was thinking though, how crazy would it be if it were connected to your phone via 4G... basically unlimited range in 4G areas. if it did have longer battery life, you could use it to visit neighboring cities.

4. 1KDS

1KDS Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +20
    They look really cool, I want to get some hands-on time with one to see how well it works

5. Rodimus4180

Rodimus4180 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    From what the guy at the lhs said its connected to the drone via bluetooth. As for a 15 minute flight time id love that on my heli, best I ever got was just over nine minutes and that was cutting it close to going undervoltage on the battery.

6. pabtheghost

pabtheghost Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the site says the drone creates an ad hoc wifi connection. if it were bluetooth there would never be enough range. those things are supposed to get up to 150 feet in an open area

7. Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I actually just bought a couple as Christmas gifts, as well as one for myself. I haven't set it up yet; I've been busy with other holiday preparations, but I'll be sure to update after I get it set up.

8. Rodimus4180

Rodimus4180 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Guess that's what I get for just looking at the pretty pictures on the site... lol

9. dave52355

dave52355 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I had looked at them to use as extra " eyes ". I'm in a wheelchair and use a Wowee Rovio controlled with my Bionic for seeing things low and under beds and things. I found a transmission leak on my car this way. I thought of using the drone with camera for looking above me head in the closet, loft, check roof type of stuff. Type of stuff a person might normally use a step ladder to do. Alas it was way out of my price range. Maybe Santa will bring one :)

10. pabtheghost

pabtheghost Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i more or less had a similar view. the implications for surveillance are pretty damn attractive. hopefully the price will drop in a few months... $300 is just way out for me right now

11. dave52355

dave52355 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It be handy. I had some shingles blow off the roof, wheelchairs don't do ladders well. Be nice to be able to buzz the thing up to the roof and have a look see before having to call someone. To me its just another method of independence, just like the Rovio I use for low stuff that I can't see/get to.

Maybe some day

12. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I've been tempted by the AR Drone from way back. I sent them an email asking when they'd have it work with Android, but didn't get a reply or anything. Yeah, I ant to see if the price will drop too.

13. Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Just played with it for the first time this morning and it is AWESOME. Paired up flawlessly with my Bionic, the video quality is amazing, and it's great to play with. I bought one for my boyfriend and as soon as he gets his up and running, we're gonna take it outside and dogfight!!

Search tags for this page

ar drone 2.0 droid x

ar drone 2.0 droid x2 compatibility
ar drone wifi connect problems nexus 7
cannot connect s3 to parrot drone wifi
droid dna and parrot ar drone
is droid x compatible with drone
samsung connecting to ar drone