The 4g LTE... Will the Droid 2 support it?

nemo3k

Reaction score
Yeah... I keep hearing a jumble uneducated guesses as to what this is.. Software? Hardware? If its software, will there be an upgrade for the newest smart phones (I.e. Droids X and 2) if its hardware will I just hafta get a new phone? PLEASE.... I hate being out of the loop... someone help ya boy out...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hardware. Wont be able to use the 4g speeds.

Sent from my DROIDX

busab

Reaction score
LTE will requite a hardware upgrade thereby any Verizon phone currently out will not be 4G capable.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
N

nemo3k

Reaction score
So in other words... hafta get a NEWER phone?

Dustin.

Reaction score
Yes, that's correct. But I can live without 4G. I love my D2 and my DX.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

physeetcosmo

Reaction score
Hardware Change Required....well, kind of...

Hey Fellow Droid Geeks,

I am an Electrical Engineer and I work with the core devices that these phones "run on", so I may have some insight as to how this "works" if anyone cares. :biggrin:

The main processor is the (obviously) OMAP TI DSP Processor. However the RADIO (as we EEs call it) that communicates with the wireless tower is contained in a piece of silicon known as an FPGA or ASIC. This device contains the modulation schema for the specific radio TYPE (aka CDMA/GSM).

The FPGA is a generic piece of hardware that can be "configured" to contain a certain set of operations and features. THIS DEVICE CAN BE RECONFIGURED, however one needs the proprietary bit file from the manufacturer which Verizon and (let's say) Motorola keep under lock and key. This bit file that reconfigures the FPGA Radio is their "bread and butter".

The ASIC is basically the same as an FPGA, except IT CANNOT BE RECONFIGURED. It is a "one time programmable" (OTP) device.

I'd have to tear apart my Droid X and read the P# off of the radio chip to see what type of device it is (either FPGA or ASIC).

"Technically" one could reconfigure one's Droid phone's radio to BECOME a 4G phone, but you'd probably like to have the ORIGINAL 3G bitfile just in case the "new" 4G bitfile doesn't work (if you brick the radio chip you brick your phone). Obviously this would ONLY work if the radio was an FPGA, NOT and ASIC.

There are other "magic" schemes that engineers use to make sure a device STAYS the way they designed it....like scrubbing the radio chip after every reboot from an EEPROM to prevent this kind of thing from happening permanently. Pure speculation at this point, obviously.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, if anyone cares :biggrin: :motdroidvert:

D

dankarlinski

that is doable. there would also need to be some software changes in the OS to support it though. i'm sure its do able, but it will prob be more of a hassle than it is worth :p

physeetcosmo

Reaction score
@dankarlinski Oh, yeah good point, forgot the to mention that ;) It probably is NOT worth it. One would have to own the FPGA programmer (typically $150+), write the mods to the OS (hours of one's time) and the mods to the Radio (again, hours of one's time).

Plus supporting radio components, like inductors/ capacitors/ resistors/ transformers etc, etc may be different for the 4G spec versus the 3G spec.

Like you said, not worth it :biggrin:

D

dankarlinski

yeah. it works in theory, but its not so much practical. lol

not to mention that we still havent cracked the bootloader, which im sure would cause some sort of issue during the on-boot i/o checks.