That's All Folks! Verizon Closed The Loophole To Upgrade And Maintain Unlimited Data.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Technically aren't I in the clear since all I have to do is put in the SIM and activate??

One would think. And I'm not sure bait & switch laws apply here - VZW isn't going to force you onto a 2gig plan, they would give you an option to return the phone. And I highly doubt it is worth all the headaches, resources and costs of return to do that.

It's not even going to amount to a rounding error on their financials. I seriously, seriously doubt they are going to take any action on these accounts. Companies eat mistakes like this all the time.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your new contract does not start with Verizon until the moment you activate your new device. Since mine was a preorder, and I won't get it until either 10/10 or 10/11, that's when the new contract would technically take over. If you get your phone and activate it and it doesn't say anything about switching you to a 2GB plan, and still shows your unlimited data on their site with your new phone on there, then you would be safe in my book.

@Kodiak, I agree with you about them not taking any action, just stating stuff. I don't believe they will do anything either, but as stated before I wouldn't put it past them if they did.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
... but as stated before I wouldn't put it past them if they did.

I don't see any basis for that opinion, at all.

Raising prices and changing plan options is entirely different than unnecessarily creating customer service issues stemming from a problem of their own creation. Purely imaginary speculation because people like to hate on VZW.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Well that is good news, I'm glad that Verizon decided to make some sort of statement today.

This is great news as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I will just post what I posted over at N2 forum...

BINGO !!! I knew that clueless JOE was wrong with his twit...twit...twitter ...hehe

ONE FOR THE GOOD GUYS !! Big RED loses this past weekend game...score Unlimited users 59 Not So Big Red 0

Goat for the week...Who's that rep ? WHO?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wouldn't exactly say that Verizon lost anything. They actually gained from the glitch, they got a bunch of people to upgrade their devices and are on contract again for 2 years. To me it seems like a win-win for Verizon.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Wouldn't exactly say that Verizon lost anything. They actually gained from the glitch, they got a bunch of people to upgrade their devices and are on contract again for 2 years. To me it seems like a win-win for Verizon.

They do always get the new peeps on contract...but I bet most were going to upgrade to this phone anyhow...they might have pushed a few extra...I know so many peeps that are getting it regardless...

Big Ry

Reaction score
True, in most instances it wasn't. This instance it was. The tech I talked to even stated, "well I went ahead and re-added all the features that was on the first order and it even let me keep the unlimited data on there for you." At that point it wasn't just ME taking advantage of a glitch in the system, that was their OWN tech that did a manual upgrade through their system, line by line and upgraded my phone that way. The reason the tech had to do it that way was because I wanted to add the "VERIZON30" discount to a preorder. So it wasn't just a website glitch, because it even allowed people using the best buy interface, and the amazon interface to keep their unlimited data. The moment that Verizon knew of this glitch (which from what i've heard has been going on for quite a few days now) and did nothing, they waive their rights to claim ignorance in a bait and switch law.

*edit* Plus people did actually go to the stores and walked out with a fully upgraded account with unlimited data.

Yeah, someone simply messed up somewhere at corporate. I used to work for AT&T , and I can't imagine their POS system is much different from Verizon's. Once the salesman logins in with the customer credentials, they can view everything on the account. When I was upgrading someone, I just clicked an upgrade link and followed the prompts. It runs through various screens where you can choose plans and features and whatnot. There was something with AT&Ts system where it is pre-populated with the customer's current plan/features. I basically just clicked "next" like 8 times if they didn't want any changes Lol. Then the contact prints, they sign, and I take care of all the device stuff. I worked there not terribly long after the whole AT&T/Cingular merger and name switch, so once in a while I'd get an old (original) AT&T customer who just wanted a new phone and no change to their plan. Although I could see their old plan on the main account screen, it was not listed as a plan on the plans screen I'd get to while running through the upgrade. I could not get past the plans screen without selecting a plan, so i was forced to put them on a new one if they wanted to upgrade. I don't know the details of how the carriers set up these POS systems, but I'm sure it basically just pulls the info from a central database somewhere. That way all salesman at corporate and retailers like amazon, best buy, and wireless zone have the exact same options.

If what you are saying is true, then you can't even buy a phone retail and activate it on your account. I've been under the impression this is not the case.

The purchase has already gone through without a plan change. I don't understand why it's then not simply a question of activating the phone on your account.

No, simply adding a device to a line is a totally different process. Is basically as simple as typing the new IMEI into a box on the main account screen (for that specific line), then clicking "enter". No contracts, no re-selecting plans/features. It takes more time to log into the customer's account then it does to add the new device Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4