That didn't go so well !

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
My first attempt at "Theming" this phone was almost a disaster. Lot's changed since last I messed with modding.

Thank Goodness for TWRP & nandroids.

I replaced the soft key icons in SystemUI, stripped out an android 6.0 ROM.zip file,put my modded SystemUI.apk in the .zip and flashed it.

As I went to boot the phone from TWRP it was kind enough to tell me there was no OS installed, and ask if I really wanted to do that ... haha saved by a nag message!

Quick restore and I'm back in business.

Guess I got lot's o' learning to do.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I saw a cleanrom on xda. This phone might get me back into themeing and tweaking.

Great thing about this phone is the ease of getting it back to stock.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Since you're feeling adventurous, you could use ADB to pull the systemui.apk, edit then push it back.

The commands would be something like "adb pull systemui.apk". Then "adb push systemui.apk, adb rebbot".
I can't remember the exact commands atm. But you would need to reboot after the push since android does not like the frameworks or systemui pushed through adb.

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I saw a cleanrom on xda. This phone might get me back into themeing and tweaking.

Great thing about this phone is the ease of getting it back to stock.

I was thinking about that as my heartrate settled back down, I probably could have just flashed an image file through fastboot to recover...

Since you're feeling adventurous, you could use ADB to pull the systemui.apk, edit then push it back.

The commands would be something like "adb pull systemui.apk". Then "adb push systemui.apk, adb rebbot".
I can't remember the exact commands atm. But you would need to reboot after the push since android does not like the frameworks or systemui pushed through adb.

I'm a stubborn old fart... I'm gonna make me a flashable .zip. But you're probably right about using adb to push the file. Might even be able to do it using Root Explorer,

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm loving this phone so far, it surprisingly isn't hard to one hand most of the time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Man - I missed so much the last few years. Got some reading to do.

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm loving this phone so far, it surprisingly isn't hard to one hand most of the time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Most of the time, but there are things that are a bit of a stretch for me. I tend to use it 2 handed, though that may change once I have a sim and actually use it for a phone.

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Pops - WHAT THEY SAID !!!!!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm rooting when they get xposed framework working.

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm rooting when they get xposed framework working.
Why wait - when you can block ads ... can ya tell I really not a fan of the ad supported model ?