Thanks to CVPCS and good luck:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
release-sapphire-0-7-0-froyo-rom_1.png

It has been circling twitter, the web, and his irc for the past few days, but for those who do not know Cvpcs will be halting his work with GEM series and will be working on Cyanogenmod. I understand his decision and wish him luck... thanks for the roms you provided us and believe that you will provide the community with a good rom via CM.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
A copy of the letter from droid-life:

CVPCS: A Letter to My Followers - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

As one era comes to a close another is just beginning!
So many of you have probably heard by now through twitter or the grapevine that I will be halting my work on GEM in order to pursue a new position as a developer for CyanogenMod. Since I first told this to people I have gotten mixed reviews as to whether or not people feel this is for the better, and I just wanted to clear the air, give my reasons, and just lay down everything that brought this about.
First of all, I wanted to address my reasoning for moving to CM. It was a hard decision and as much as I know people think it came out of the blue, I was honestly thinking about it for about a month now. At present I was developing for five devices (Droid1, DroidX, Droid2, Incredible, and Evo), one of which I didn’t even have. Most developers will tell you that they don’t like to maintain more than two devices, as it becomes quite a chore. It was becoming so much work that I wasn’t even getting time to visit with my friends and family anymore, as every moment I took off from developing meant that everything ground to a halt. The problem being that after almost a year at the helm of GEM, I was still (for all intents and purposes) a solitary developer. This put an immense amount of stress on me to make things work in a timely manner, as well as to add new features. Every day I would go to the bug tracker, and for every bug/feature I fixed or implemented five more would pop up in its place. It was becoming so daunting that I didn’t even look forward to doing it anymore, and that was when the red flag shot up.
I have always said that Android Development is a hobby, and as a hobby it should be fun. If it’s not fun then you shouldn’t do it. For anyone out there who thinks that it is for the money (as far as donations are concerned) it is a lie. To give an example, I began working on GEM in March of 2010, and from then to now we have made approximately $1600 in donations. If you consider that I spent roughly three hours a day every week within that time period, with the exception of my three month hiatus from September to November 2010, that totals roughly 33 weeks, which comes to 693 hours, and therefore approximately $2.30/hr. But add into the mix that all of the donations went to purchase devices for development as well as web hosting (there were never any actual payouts to team members in the form of cash), and it becomes easy to see why this is a job that you need to have a passion for to keep working on it. It is for that reason that I decided that I needed to find a way to bring the “fun” back into the equation.
After thinking long and hard about it I decided that I wanted to join the CM team so that I could not only add my skills to the mix to further improve their OS, but as part of their team I no longer would be under the immense amount of stress that I was under with GEM, and will have comrades to assist me if I need it. The whole prospect is very exciting for me and I hope that people will continue to like the work that I do.
I also wanted to clear up something. I have gotten some feedback that people are upset that CM “swallowed up” another independent developer. It should be noted that not once when I was working on GEM did CM contact me about joining them. This was entirely my decision and they simply welcomed me into the fold, which I appreciate immensely. They are an awesome team and I can’t wait to add to that.
So I know that many of you will be sad that GEM is no more, and a part of me is as well. But I don’t like to see it as GEM dying, so much as the best parts of GEM assimilating into the best of CM and producing a truly epic result that will help the vendors out there take notice of what an amazing product this community can turn out.
Now that all of the explanation of my reasons is out of the way, what can you expect moving forward? Well, I have officially signed on to maintain CM7 on the Droid (OG Droid for some, though I prefer just Droid). I will also be doing general work within the CM repo tree, one of the first of which will be to add the scrollable Notification Power Widget from GEM into CM. I also will be looking into porting CM7 over to the DX/D2, but I don’t want to lay down anything concrete on those fronts yet, since I haven’t even begun working on it and therefore don’t know exactly what to expect, but just know that it’ll be looked at in the coming weeks.
The existing GEM source will remain online at my github (github.com/cvpcs), and the wiki will remain online as well but will eventually be moved back to my private server at www.cvpcs.org. All of my work was open source so people are free to take it and build upon it if they wish. I will also be maintaining my IRC chat on freenode at #cvpcs, so if you have any questions you can usually find me there. I thank everyone who supported my work and am extremely appreciative of all of the positive feedback I received.
I hope everyone is as excited about this as I am, and for those who aren’t, I hope I can change your mind!
-cvpcs

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I heard this....looking forward to seeing his work on CM...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I will give cyanogenmod a look when they get it working on the d2.

jdlfg

Reaction score
CVPCS,
I have always told you your contribution to the community is appreciated. This move is a win for the community as a whole and I wish you the best of luck. I will see you around man.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
With the Droid's EOL, I'm glad to see these talented people still developing for it. Looking forward to see his work on CM.

Swyped from a Droid

SkullOne

Reaction score
Was definitely happy when I heard this the other day. Expect great things to come out of cvpcs and his work on CM. :D Many thanks in advance for the upcoming CM work and thanks for all the hard work with GEM.

GodfatherIP

Reaction score
Sad to see the end of the GEM roms but I'm happy that you will keep on developing and be the one who maintains CM on my device, the OG Droid. Good luck, I hope you can make CM for Droid as stable and silky smooth as your Sapphire roms were. Thanks!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
CM is already pretty stable. Adding another talented developer who has a focus on the D1 only means it's about to get a lot better. To quote Randy Savage...

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH YEAH!

microsnook

Reaction score
I hope he builds roms for the Droid2 as well!

This will probably be the ultimate rom :)

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
CM is already pretty stable. Adding another talented developer who has a focus on the D1 only means it's about to get a lot better. To quote Randy Savage...

Snap into a slim jim! It will be interesting to see how the new cm turns out.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

UNC

Reaction score

Forget the Macho Man... this gets a Kool-Aid man "OH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!"

drpurp

Reaction score
It's good to hear that someone will pick up the reigns. I am a bit worried, however, because Sapphire never worked well on my Droid and once in a while I go to CM. Hope the CM still works okay, if not better. :)

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sapphire runs the best on my phone. Maybe you had an anomaly going on.