Thanks for success!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by PARick, Sep 15, 2010.

1. PARick

PARick New Member

Especially to InfernoX51 for the help! Rooting was the toughest experience I had to go through. In fact, I was certain I bricked. Now that i am up and running, using App2SD, how do I get some apps to my SD card? The box to move them is still greyed and won't let me move them. Also, what is the first thing I should do to inprove battery life? Thanks again!:icon_ banana:
  2. xkape

xkape Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Bricking the phone is almost impossible. So have at it and do what you want. This list off apps that can be moved to the SD card through that application are limited.
    Pretty sure you would need to use the Terminal Emulator or ADB to move these. Just make sure you don't move any widgets over.

For battery life (this is my opinion, and you will find a lot of opinions if you look) install Juice defender (free) and enable it. Next, I would hit menu and go to settings>about phone>battery use and see what's killing your battery. Once that is known, you can tweak things for them.
  3. PARick

PARick New Member

Thanks! I'm still nervous about "breaking" it LOL. I did download Terminal Emulator and looks a bit complicated. I'll try the other. Thanks again.
  4. xkape

PARick.. just thought of something. You might be able to do this with Titanium Backup or Astro. I would need someone else to chime in though on that because I rarely ever use either of them.

Yeah, Titanium Backup. Just went and looked. Theres an option to move apps to the SD card.
  5. PARick

PARick New Member

Thanks xkape! But, when I go into the list in Titanium, long press the app a box cones up and shows moving the app to sd as an option. I went through and dit this for about 30. But, when I went in and looked to see the space available, nothing was on there but the ones App2SD let me.
  6. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

OP, Titanium allows you to backup your apps and data in the app. Titanium will backup these data on your SD card or on the Web. The option that moves the app to the SD card will not allow the OS to access.

Not all of the apps can be moved to an SD card. If you want to move an app to your SD card, tap settings, tap applications, tap the app. If it can me moved to your SD card the box "move to SD card" will be highlighted.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike
  7. PARick

PARick New Member

Thanks Mike. One reason I rooted was to clear some memory by moving the apps to sd. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to enjoy theother benefits :)
  8. thc1967

thc1967 Member

Since you've already rooted, my next suggestion (and what I did next) would be to install an overclocked, 7 step kernel and the SetCPU app. I'm using a ChevySS kernel (search this site) and using SetCPU's ability to set the CPU speed based on the state of the phone. For example, when the screen is off, the CPU is turned WAY down.

SetCPU is very inexpensive on Market or if you can find the author's "home" forum site, you can get it from him for free. (I don't recall the site name.)

Anyway, right after I rooted and did this I saw battery life increase tremendously.

Then I did a foolish thing and started installing custom ROMs and themes. Now my battery life is horrid. Not because of the ROMs, but because I keep playing with my phone!
  9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Just my 2 cents, it is free at the developers site but at least give him a donation. it's a great app and just keeps getting better.
  10. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Par, sorry if my first post was not clear. You can move some of your app to your SD card. Tap, menu, tap applications, tap all, tap an individual app. If it can be moved to your SD card the "Move to SD card" box will be highlighted. Tap that box and the app will be moved.

Sorry for the confusion.

Mike
  11. PARick

PARick New Member

Thanks! Is that as complicated as it sounds? BTW, I never mind paying for something. Thanks Hook!
  12. xkape

No it's not. If we wrote out what we did all day life would seem too complicated to even bother with it.

First, you take your right leg and move it over to the edge of the bed, the your left. Next I would bend at the waist and sit up. From there you use your legs and back to stand and then you walk across the room and into the bathroom. Turn the knob on the right hand side of the sink towards you until water comes out. Grab the blue brush... you get the idea.

It would take me 15 seconds or less to do what I just wrote. Imagine if I tryped out going down the hall and eating breakfast. Point is, nothing is ever as hard as it seems. It just appears that way sometimes.
  13. xkape

And since no one mentioned it.. BEFORE you do anything.. go into SPRecovery and make a nandroid backup of your current phone in a working order.
  14. thc1967

thc1967 Member

True enough, and that's an awesome app and well worth it. And when he makes it so that I can set priorities via drag & drop rather than that painful slider control, I'll donate!

Using a new kernel takes a bit of work. Every computer is different and can tolerate different levels of (ab)use so you might have to fiddle with speeds. I'd recommend something like this (again, what I did):

1) Install ROMManager. Get it from Market. There's a free and paid version, with the paid having more features. You can do everything listed here with the free version, but paid makes it easier to find and download kernels and ROMs. And it supports developers who really do put a lot of work into these things.

2) Use ROMManager to back up your whole ROM.

3) Find a kernel you like. I'm using a high speed, low voltage Chevy kernel. You may like others. Searching this forum should help you find several. Download it onto your Droid. Put it anywhere on your sdcard. It will be a ZIP file. Or use ROMManager (paid) to download one.

4) Use ROMManager to install the kernel ZIP you just downloaded.

5) Use SetCPU to tweak the CPU speeds.

6) Use SetCPU to set up CPU speed profiles. There's another great article on this site (again, search it) for how to tweak SetCPU.

7) Watch your droid over the next few hours of usage. If you get more force closes than you like, repeat the process with kernels that offer slower speeds and/or higher voltage.

This forum is hugely helpful if you run into any issues. Remember that it's virtually impossible to brick your phone so don't get too worried. Just make sure you get that backup before you go too far!
  15. PARick

PARick New Member

Thanks thc! I appreciate the time you put into that reply. I can certainly do that!