Th3ory vs Liberty Smackdown

wooddale

Reaction score
When I had my TB I had ran th3ory's roms. It had great battery life and actually made the phone function. Just my 2 cents :)

As for this "smackdown". They are different roms imo. I tried them both. I switch between the 2 often. If you want no blur it's liberty. If you want some or all blur it's th3ory. They are both great. Smooth and great on battery. It's all up to you. That's why we make backups right?

I havent ran th3ory yet cant decide which one to run now with all the choices. Im on Liberty now what I did notice and Im sure th3ory is gonna be the same the phone is a lot snappier than just stock rooted. My BAMFED TB still is wright there and no data problem. I gotta admit had it out last two days didnt drop sig one time but never left 4G area worked like a real phone.

razvu

Reaction score
I tried them both, in fact I keep a few backups of each.
I really liked Theory but then I switched to Liberty and tend to spend more time on it...I like the fact that there is more memory available, but you can get the same with Theory and no blur.
There is one thing that bothers me, and it's not the roms, but the firmware. Apparently I am in an area where I don't really get 4G, but mostly 3G. They call it extended something...I spent countless reboots trying to figure out why there is no network signal. I also had a defective SIM card, but even after replacing it, I had the same issue. The key was setting the network to CDMA only. If I am in a good 4G area, I can switch it and it's blazing fast (485 KB/s steady upload rate to FTP!).
Today I tried the latest Theory version 2.1 which supposedly has the new update. I don't know about other people but for me the Verizon update is a big BS. The signal gets lost all the time, no 3G where I know I have 3G, then after a while it changes to 1x, then again nothing and then finally it might catch some 4G. I got so frustrated I reverted my Liberty rom back, which is set on 3G only. I haven't tried 3G only on the latest Theory, however I didn't have issues before. Latest Theory version I ran for a while was 1.8. When I switched to Liberty I think I got better battery life. I have an extended battery, and I used Gtalk with video for about 1 hr and I was down to 75%. Setting was 3G only. I have to mention I didn't lose connection, while today on the latest Theory with the update, in the same area it gave me all those problems mentioned above.
Running Liberty with 3G only, I use the browser, email, wifi, Gtalk, watch Netflix, sync is always on and I still haven't fully discharged the battery. I didn't use the phone continuously, but it was some pretty heavy usage.
Comparing the deblurred version of Theory with Liberty, there are some extra settings in Liberty, however some of them I don't quite understand. You can enable them, but there is no clear explanation about what they actually do.. Theory also has some mods which are more clear: unthrottle, and the others from that script.
Personally, I do not like the launcher that comes in both versions, so I installed GO Launcher and then removed the stock one and changed GO Launcher to a system app in Titanium. It seems to run fine, no errors. I also do not like the contacts app, there is no option to set a group when you add a contact, although I think there is a way to do it afterwards.
Conclusion: the performance was pretty much the same, each rom has some tweaks and customization, you can make them both look however you want, so it's just a matter of personal preference which one you choose. They should both do the job. One thing, Theory gets more updates, while I haven't seen the same on Liberty. I hope this helps.

DroidTh3ory

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.th3oryrom.com
I tried them both, in fact I keep a few backups of each.
I really liked Theory but then I switched to Liberty and tend to spend more time on it...I like the fact that there is more memory available, but you can get the same with Theory and no blur.
There is one thing that bothers me, and it's not the roms, but the firmware. Apparently I am in an area where I don't really get 4G, but mostly 3G. They call it extended something...I spent countless reboots trying to figure out why there is no network signal. I also had a defective SIM card, but even after replacing it, I had the same issue. The key was setting the network to CDMA only. If I am in a good 4G area, I can switch it and it's blazing fast (485 KB/s steady upload rate to FTP!).
Today I tried the latest Theory version 2.1 which supposedly has the new update. I don't know about other people but for me the Verizon update is a big BS. The signal gets lost all the time, no 3G where I know I have 3G, then after a while it changes to 1x, then again nothing and then finally it might catch some 4G. I got so frustrated I reverted my Liberty rom back, which is set on 3G only. I haven't tried 3G only on the latest Theory, however I didn't have issues before. Latest Theory version I ran for a while was 1.8. When I switched to Liberty I think I got better battery life. I have an extended battery, and I used Gtalk with video for about 1 hr and I was down to 75%. Setting was 3G only. I have to mention I didn't lose connection, while today on the latest Theory with the update, in the same area it gave me all those problems mentioned above.
Running Liberty with 3G only, I use the browser, email, wifi, Gtalk, watch Netflix, sync is always on and I still haven't fully discharged the battery. I didn't use the phone continuously, but it was some pretty heavy usage.
Comparing the deblurred version of Theory with Liberty, there are some extra settings in Liberty, however some of them I don't quite understand. You can enable them, but there is no clear explanation about what they actually do.. Theory also has some mods which are more clear: unthrottle, and the others from that script.
Personally, I do not like the launcher that comes in both versions, so I installed GO Launcher and then removed the stock one and changed GO Launcher to a system app in Titanium. It seems to run fine, no errors. I also do not like the contacts app, there is no option to set a group when you add a contact, although I think there is a way to do it afterwards.
Conclusion: the performance was pretty much the same, each rom has some tweaks and customization, you can make them both look however you want, so it's just a matter of personal preference which one you choose. They should both do the job. One thing, Theory gets more updates, while I haven't seen the same on Liberty. I hope this helps.

No matter which ROM... You are still using the same Radio. Simple as that.

:)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

razvu

Reaction score
No matter which ROM... You are still using the same Radio. Simple as that.

:)

So, the 893 update doesn't have any improvements for radio? That might explain the same issues. As I said, my complaints are strictly related to connectivity, which cannot be fixed unless a good firmware is released. I had the same problems with the Thunderbolt, I tried maybe 3 radio updates till I found one working properly...

DroidTh3ory

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.th3oryrom.com
So, the 893 update doesn't have any improvements for radio? That might explain the same issues. As I said, my complaints are strictly related to connectivity, which cannot be fixed unless a good firmware is released. I had the same problems with the Thunderbolt, I tried maybe 3 radio updates till I found one working properly...

The. .6.893 had a new LTE Radio, and the. 7.893 is a Webtop patch. Either way, since we can not flash radios... The ROM you are using will have NO effect on the signal or data. :)

razvu

Reaction score
The. .6.893 had a new LTE Radio, and the. 7.893 is a Webtop patch. Either way, since we can not flash radios... The ROM you are using will have NO effect on the signal or data. :)

I thought that the rom included those goodies...I guess that's why the whole trouble with cheesecake, forever root, etc...If I installed the update, then the rom (and hopefully keep the root and not brick the phone), then I would actually have the new radio? And let me guess, we can't flash radios because the bootloader is locked...
Thank you for clearing things up!

DroidTh3ory

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.th3oryrom.com
I thought that the rom included those goodies...I guess that's why the whole trouble with cheesecake, forever root, etc...If I installed the update, then the rom (and hopefully keep the root and not brick the phone), then I would actually have the new radio? And let me guess, we can't flash radios because the bootloader is locked...
Thank you for clearing things up!

You are correct sir.....

K

kbatrph

Does Th3ory 2.1 work for Bionic or just htc?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Lol, its hard ti have a smackdown with two completely different type of ROM's. It comes down to what you want. If you like you some Blur, Mine has Blur, if you like you some AOSP, Liberty has it. Plus, from what I hear some custom things you can tweak.

It's not a competition or a who's is better. Its... Be glad there are choices. :)

Precisely, I'll never get an android without first checking the "temp" of the devs and community on the phone first... I'd have got the Droid 2 instead of the D2 Global. Guess that's what I get for jumping ship from BB with little to know research.

K

kbatrph

Things that make you go hhhmmmmmmmmmmmm..........................................................?

Ya know, its NOT listed under Bionic roms, so I didn't know. A simple yes or no would've sufficed....so tired of all the smart alecs on this forum...its supposed to be a helpful site, not a place for folks to put others down

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ya know, its NOT listed under Bionic roms, so I didn't know. A simple yes or no would've sufficed....so tired of all the smart alecs on this forum...its supposed to be a helpful site, not a place for folks to put others down

You may want to check the theory rom sub forum inside the bionic rooms sub forum INSIDE the bionic hacks section.

Shifter 2.1 is the theory base ROM.

Sent from my ROOTED DROID BIONIC using DROID forums!

wooddale

Reaction score
The only problem now its getting harder to decide with th3ory having so many choices.

jtsativa420

Reaction score
Liberty: The fb contacts have a sync with phone contacts option eliminating duplicates, a little more customization and my four square seemed a little faster (no longer use).

Th3ory: Different tweaks like unthrottle etc, more buttons in the notification pulldown and more options in roms releases blurr3d d3blurr3d or themed (you can add blur back into liberty but not themes).

Like has been said it's all personal preference.

wooddale

Reaction score

The thing it is kinda listed in the OP. He says sorry guys but you have get new base. The biggest problem is you not only have to read but you have to follow a bit before you no whats going on. If you just read and jump wright in sometimes you miss what haz already been said.