Texts freezing when typing the word "time"?

emviolin

Reaction score
It seems that whenever I type the word 'time' in a text right after that, my phone freezes for a second or 2 and then shuts the text down and goes back to the main screen. Does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone know what to do to fix this? It has only happened since the most recent update :(. I also find myself using the word "time" a lot more!!! HELP

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Settings > Language & Keyboard > Android keyboard > Uncheck "Next word prediction"

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

thaprofit

Reaction score
has this just occurred after the gingerbread update?? its been happening to me all day and its annoying... ive tried diff things including factory reset and nothing has changed... im getting a new droid 2 to see if that fixes it but if not we will just have to wait till google gives us another update

as far as fixing it what i do, and this is also very annoying, is that once it stops letting me type i hit the home key then i go rite back into my text messages and itll open up where u stopped... ive lost a lot of long text messages due to the freezing issue... thats all i know so far but generally ive just stopped texting as much its unbearable

thaprofit

Reaction score
wow... i dont even use the touch keyboard so i didnt see how it was related but yes the unchecking did solve the problem... all that for a check mark...

silverfang77

Reaction score
From the home screen... Menu>Manage Apps>All>Multitouch Keyboard>Clear data.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Using SwiftKey on my Droid2 (not global) with the built in text messaging app, touch screen. Doesn't happen to me.

Last edited:

Newbie_Droid

Reaction score
Texts Freezing since update

Hi, I am new to forums & such, but I get the gist of it, so hopefully I am doing this correctly, don't boot me out if I'm not please :blink:.... ANYWAYs... I have just noticed that my Droid 2, started acting dumb with my texts as well... it just stops letting me type, and defaults back to the home page... It's really sucky.

I just recently updated my phone, I am not sure to what... I keep seeing people talking about Gingerbread on here? I have no clue what that is (besides actual Gingerbread that you eat... like cookies.... "not my gumdrop buttons!"... haha if anyone knows that movie), but ever since I updated my phone, everything has been acting crazy... Including it keeps saying I'm roaming, & international rates or something... which I can just click Cancel, but this text thing is really not ok. Is there a way to undo the update? Or any suggestions on what I can do, It just started doing this text problem today.

Thanks for your help people!

silverfang77

Reaction score
Gingerbread is the operating system update that a lot of last year's Android phones received. They were originally on 2.2 Froyo and are now on 2.3 Gingerbread.

If your phone is really acting up, try doing a factory reset. From the home screen, press Menu>Settings>Privacy>Factory Data Reset. Beware that you will lose all your downloaded apps, settings, etc. The phone will essentially be reformatted. However, if it's really acting up, you've nothing to lose.

As for the texting thing, it's a known bug in Gingerbread. The fix is from the home screen, Menu>Manage Apps>All>Multitouch Keyboard>Clear Data. Then from the home screen, Menu>Settings>Language and Keyboard>Multitouch Keyboard>General Settings>Uncheck Next Word Prediction.

Last edited:

Newbie_Droid

Reaction score
Thanks! - Got another problem

Gingerbread is the operating system update that a lot of last year's Android phones received. They were originally on 2.2 Froyo and are now on 2.3 Gingerbread.

If your phone is really acting up, try doing a factory reset. From the home screen, press Menu>Settings>Privacy>Factory Data Reset. Beware that you will lose all your downloaded apps, settings, etc. The phone will essentially be reformatted. However, if it's really acting up, you've nothing to lose.

As for the texting thing, it's a known bug in Gingerbread. The fix is from the home screen, Menu>Manage Apps>All>Multitouch Keyboard>Clear Data. Then from the home screen, Menu>Settings>Language and Keyboard>Multitouch Keyboard>General Settings>Uncheck Next Word Prediction.

That worked good for the texting! Thanks so much!

This other problem just started occuring; my phone won't download any apps, or updates or pdf files.... when it used to do it fine.? I know you said I can do a factory reset.... will I loose photos, music, everything on my phone if I do that?.... do you know of any other options for this problem?

I can ask on another post since this isn't related to texts if need be...

silverfang77

Reaction score
Do you mean it won't download from the Market in particular, or from anywhere at all? If you mean the Market, just erase its data like you did with the Multitouch keyboard. That should (temporarily at least) solve the download problem.

Not certain what to say about PDFs.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk

Newbie_Droid

Reaction score
I just tried the 'clear data' on the market, cuz I was trying to download from there... but it still didn't work. It's like there are certain apps that need to 'update', but when I try and download the update, it shows up with an orange triangle error at the top menu bar.

And the pdf files, are just like if I wanted to downlad a photo or pdf off the internet, now if just says the same thing... comes up with that error

silverfang77

Reaction score
I'm grasping at straws at this point. Have you checked how much free space you have in your phone's internal storage and on the microSD card?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk

Newbie_Droid

Reaction score
Yeah, I checked &I I even uninstalled some apps I didn't need, and deleted some of the downloads I had to free up space... i'll check again, but, yeah i'm not really sure. I just noticed it today, I was thinking maybe there was a setting or sumthing on my phone that I messed up possibly, even though I haven't really been messing with them...

Well, thanks for your help, if you can think of anything that it may be, let me know! :)

teanpa

Reaction score

"Menu>Settings>Language and Keyboard>Multitouch Keyboard>General Settings>Uncheck Next Word Prediction."..... Worked for me!