Textra update blocks Stagefright exploit

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First, off topic, My Google Rewards surveys go in spurts. I won't have any for a long time, then I'll have one every day for a week or so. I recommend downloading it and signing up. Worst case scenario, it just lays there on your device. Best case, you make a bit of change here and there for answering simple questions about your habits, likes, and dislikes that turn into free apps.

As for Stagefright and sms apps, I was reading an article the other day that Google plans to roll out the biggest update ever to Hangouts next week. I'm wondering if this update is going to add the better AW integration and etc. I know they've been working on that for quite a while. I guess it would make sense for them to bake the Stagefright patch into that update, but I'd much rather see them push the patch NOW and the fancy stuff next week.

That said, I may have to give textra a try. I've NEVER really cared about customizing the look of my texting app. It's there to send/recieve messages and pictures for me and that's about it. But, if this one's more secure in the meantime, maybe I'll have a change of heart on the bells and whistles and pay a buck to keep it.
I haven't used Hangouts since before the name change . Does it have a dark theme option now? Amoled friendly?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I haven't used Hangouts since before the name change . Does it have a dark theme option now? Amoled friendly?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
Not that I'm aware of. Like I said, I don't need a lot of frills in my texting app. I don't sirens a lot of time in there & I'm anal about turning my screen off when not in use.

I use hangouts for a simple reason. I use the messenger for conversing with people from this forum, Google+, etc. It's a lot more rare these days not that I'm not romming & theming, but it does happen on occasion. With that in mind, I couldn't see having an app for those rare occasions & another for texting, so I use it for both & stay away from the Sammy SMS app.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I don't like using Hangouts for my normal carrier texts. I use Google's service specifically when I don't want to give out personal information or if I'm talking to a new female and I have yet to verify if she's crazy or not.

I'll have to give Textra a try. I used GoSMS for a long time, but ended up switching to Handcent when Go just got too slow and unresponsive. But I don't particularly like Handcent either so hopefully this is right up my alley.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Agree re: Hangouts. Tried it for SMS but, meh... hated it. I use it daily for my Ingress buddies, but there is no way to separate that crap from SMS so I ditched it. If you could have a separate Hangout tab dedicated to SMS I might consider... AFTER they add a dark option, too.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I don't like using Hangouts for my normal carrier texts. I use Google's service specifically when I don't want to give out personal information or if I'm talking to a new female and I have yet to verify if she's crazy or not.

I'll have to give Textra a try. I used GoSMS for a long time, but ended up switching to Handcent when Go just got too slow and unresponsive. But I don't particularly like Handcent either so hopefully this is right up my alley.
Coming as a long time user of both GoSMS and Handcent, Textra is miles ahead of them imo. I text, alot, and there hasn't been one time where Textra has slowed down on me or FC'd.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Some surveys pay, some don't, and some are just to make sure you are actually paying attention instead of blowing through the surveys to make some chingy.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
My surveys seem to be gps based. I go to home depot and a few hours later a "have you shopped at x stores in the past month".

I've earned $15 in 7 months. Early retirement here I come!!!