Textra Adds Text History Page To AW

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One bugaboo I have about a smartwatch is its inability to go back and check older text conversations quickly. Correct me if I'm wrong here but that seems to be across all platforms except the first generation Gear Fit.
It looks like Textra has changed this, or so it would seem.
I ask does this indeed make it as easy to read older texts as doing so on the phone? If so this could be a game changer.
Please chime back with how well it works .
Thanks
3434d0d67edf4a184f867628f6fec9ae.jpg

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hangouts and Google Messenger added this feature long ago. Previously, you could view the conversation when a new message came in, but couldn't just go into the app on the watch and bring up an old conversation. You've been able to do so for months now with either of those Google apps.

Glad to see more apps adding the ability though.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's good that those of us who don't want to have to switch text apps can now get full features on their AW watches. I think Textra was the first aftermarket texting app to become AW ready in the first place so it's good they keep moving forward with it. Developers, to me, are what will make or break smartwatches, Edged screens and other non main stream Android stuff. Note Samsung needs to let loose of its reigns and allow such things in Tizen and the s pen on their Notes. At this point years after introduction multi screen capable apps are few without root but if I'm understanding things correctly the multi screen will be all app capable with N like AW2.0 will make a bunch more stuff capable.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Mostly capable. It seems like there are some apps that don't like the native multi-window in the N preview, but it also seems like there's less that developers have to do on their end for apps to work with it, unlike Samsung's iteration of the tech. When I was running the N preview, I even came across a few apps that said they may not support split-screen, but that worked with no issue.

While I only ever took advantage of the ability on my Note once in a great while, I'm excited to see them adding the functionality to stock android and actually think I may use it more when I finally get the official build (or if I jump on one of the next previews. The current build, last I heard, kinda borked AW functionality, so I'm holding off on trying the preview again on my daily driver.)

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mostly capable. It seems like there are some apps that don't like the native multi-window in the N preview, but it also seems like there's less that developers have to do on their end for apps to work with it, unlike Samsung's iteration of the tech. When I was running the N preview, I even came across a few apps that said they may not support split-screen, but that worked with no issue.

While I only ever took advantage of the ability on my Note once in a great while, I'm excited to see them adding the functionality to stock android and actually think I may use it more when I finally get the official build (or if I jump on one of the next previews. The current build, last I heard, kinda borked AW functionality, so I'm holding off on trying the preview again on my daily driver.)
The selection is so limited on my phones (LGG2 has it also) that I quickly lost interest. When it first came out Tapatalk had the capability but at some point they took it away. I used it more on the G2 for copy/paste applications to quickly share text from the browser and stuff like that that the s pen can do quicker.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><