Texting

graveghoul

Reaction score
According to my significant other, the Galaxy Tab has texting abilities with a similar card installed from T-Mobile. Will the data card slot the zoom has, serve the purpose to help do this in the future? Mines slot doesnt have anything in it. No sim was installed. Was there suppised to be upon activation? I don't know much about tablets, but I would love to text on here with as much capability as the Xoom has. I noticed Google voice won't work cause it supposedly doesn't have a phone radio. Sorry for all the questions but I just want to know the device.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

Infiniti87

Reaction score
The slot on the xoom is currently non-functional. In the future it will be used for 2 things. 1St it houses the 4g sim chip after the xoom is upgraded for 4g. Currently there is a little plastic filler chip in the slot. 2nd, it will also house the micro SD card. Currently the xoom will not accept a micro SD card until the over the air update is released. I hope that answers your question.

Newton122189

Reaction score
Texting through Verizon requires more than just a data plan, also there is no text messaging app on the XOOM so I don't expect that you will see that, however texting through Google voice seems like something that could potentially work, not really sure though

blondiejones

Reaction score
Try google talk... you can video and text with this.... we use it all the time and take place of texting.... you can put it on your pc too!!!

MTuning

Reaction score
When I checked my Xoom's data plan online it noted send/receive text messaging is enabled.

OP
G

graveghoul

Reaction score
According to my significant other, the Galaxy Tab has texting abilities with a similar card installed from T-Mobile. Will the data card slot the zoom has, serve the purpose to help do this in the future? Mines slot doesnt have anything in it. No sim was installed. Was there suppised to be upon activation? I don't know much about tablets, but I would love to text on here with as much capability as the Xoom has. I noticed Google voice won't work cause it supposedly doesn't have a phone radio. Sorry for all the questions but I just want to know the device.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

Thank you so much for clarifying. Yes ive tried google voice but like everyone else is saying, it fc. I cant believe the galaxy tab has texting as an option and the mighty powerful 800 dollar xoom doesnt. Unbelievable. Im waiting for google voice to be updated. It worked flawlwssly for me on my archos 101 tablet. :(

Rudeman422

Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can get the texts sent to my Xoom? It won't receive them but I need the message being sent to it from Verizon to setup my online account so the usage widget works right.

WillC

Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can get the texts sent to my Xoom? It won't receive them but I need the message being sent to it from Verizon to setup my online account so the usage widget works right.

Verizon is supposed to mail you the password via snail mail. My usage meter works fine without a password as long as I have 3G data enabled.

Rudeman422

Reaction score
My widget is just showing me the data usage for my main phone line on my plan, not the data being used by the Xoom.

WillC

Reaction score
My widget is just showing me the data usage for my main phone line on my plan, not the data being used by the Xoom.

Strange, mine shows my Xoom's data plan rather than my phone. Not sure why yours is doing the opposite. I know I've seen another post somewhere about this issue and will try and find it again.

WillC

Reaction score

Rudeman422

Reaction score
Yeah, that is what I figured out this morning when I called customer service. They said they would have to send it in the mail. Hope it works. I'll let you know.

Rudeman422

Reaction score
Verizon must have updated the app, it won't even let you login while on WIFI with your normal account information. But,I got the code in the mail the other day, I got the device specific login all setup and now I can login and check usage while on WIFI or 3G and it gives me the correct usage in the app and on the widget.