Texting App

scottdog129

Reaction score
Are there any texting apps that I could use that would hide my phone number and possibly deliver over the Internet? I have drivers that text me on my work phone and id rather use my own phone but don't want them to know my personal number. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

OP
scottdog129

scottdog129

Reaction score
Would that other person have to have that app as well though?

moset

Reaction score
Not with Google voice. I think it uses SMS just like regular text. The other end just sees your Google voice number. You have to select on outgoing always, never, or ask each time to use Google voice or your phone number.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

moset

Reaction score
My bad, that is for phone calls. Text messages are sent and received within the Google voice app. You also get an email with received text, but the other end sees it as a text to the Google plus number.

OP
scottdog129

scottdog129

Reaction score
Interesting. So you get assigned a number from Google that the end person texts to?

moset

Reaction score
Actually you pick one. Might even have one in your area code. Or you can try to spell something with the number. I think you have to pay for international calls but US calls are free. Pretty neat service. Hope they don't yank it.

moset

Reaction score
It's attached to your Google account. You could get more than one by setting up another Gmail account. I did that for our fire department. If that number is called (voice) it rings your phone, or you can have it go directly to voice mail.

doniago

Reaction score
I've been using Google Voice since it was Grandcentral. Love it.

You can also screen incoming voicemails and pick up if you want to.