Text to speech

jfguerra

Reaction score
I've had my Nexus Prime ICS for a few months now. I have never tried any of the TTS features so I don't know where or how to start.

Here are a couple of examples of what I would like to do:
- Have it read me back a text message
- Text to speech an email message

How do I set this up? How do I activate it? Is there a step-by-step guide? DO I need a separate app or apps?

As you can see, I have no clue where to start.

Thanks!

Briankbl

Reaction score
I've had my Nexus Prime ICS for a few months now. I have never tried any of the TTS features so I don't know where or how to start.

Here are a couple of examples of what I would like to do:
- Have it read me back a text message
- Text to speech an email message

How do I set this up? How do I activate it? Is there a step-by-step guide? DO I need a separate app or apps?

As you can see, I have no clue where to start.

Thanks!

Edit: see below for additional information.

For text messages being read aloud, there are a few apps for this. My favorite is Jarvis. Sending and receiving texts with this app is super simple and reliable. The free version is good, but you might as well get the premium version so you can get the full fleet of features. Another option for having texts read back to you is Vlingo. It has a mode called SafeReader. Turn it on and all texts will be read.

For speaking your own texts and emails, I HIGHLY recommend doing a Google search, or searching these forums, for a fixed/patched version of Swype that works for the Nexus. It comes with Dragon Dictation, which is easily the most accurate speech recognition there is. If you don't want to go through all that work of finding Swype, just get FlexT9 keyboard from the Play Store. It also comes with Dragon Dictation. On the bottom of the keyboard, you will see a button with a flame on it. Just press that and speak!

Edit: To speak your emails, you don't NEED either of these keyboards I mentioned, I just highly recommend them for their accuracy. To use speech to text in your default android keyboard, just press the microphone key on the keyboard and speak. If you don't see a microphone key, you may need to turn it on in the settings.

Hope this was helpful.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: