Text to multiple contacts?

overtsilence

Reaction score

freeloader

Reaction score
i dont like any of the sms replacement apps. i actually like the build in manager.
so i am using 'text easy'. very simple app to message multiple people.

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
Handcent

I'm clearly missing something. I can't find any way to send or forward a message to multiple people with Handcent. I really hate to say that for a smartphone, the Droid is pretty dumb. With my oldest flip phone I could send/forward text messages to multiple people with ease. This is very frustrating.

souljerr

Reaction score
Stormy,

The Droid has been great for me so far. No way I'd mention in the same breath as an old flip phone but that's just my experience. Hang out here a while longer & hopefully your frustrations will go away as your questions get answered.

Handcent:
Click upper right + to add contacts
Check the contacts you want to message
Go back & type text
You're done

Good luck

souljerr

Reaction score
Stormy,

The Droid has been great for me so far. No way I'd mention in the same breath as an old flip phone but that's just my experience. Hang out here a while longer & hopefully your frustrations will go away as your questions get answered.

Handcent:
Click upper right + to add contacts
Check the contacts you want to message
Go back & type text
You're done

Good luck

Kaveman218

Reaction score
multi messaging with handsent

I'm clearly missing something. I can't find any way to send or forward a message to multiple people with Handcent. I really hate to say that for a smartphone, the Droid is pretty dumb. With my oldest flip phone I could send/forward text messages to multiple people with ease. This is very frustrating.

I've been able to create and send out to multiple ppl, but not fwd with handcent. If u hear of anything let me know.
This android program is new so I have confidence that an update will be available soon. Thats the best part about these phones, You don't just get what u bought, you get the latest as soon as available. These minor bugs are the standard downfall for buying new products. At least there's hope for fixing the issues n not just gettn what u got. :icon_evil:

Stormy Knight

Reaction score

I've been able to create and send out to multiple ppl, but not fwd with handcent. If u hear of anything let me know.
This android program is new so I have confidence that an update will be available soon. Thats the best part about these phones, You don't just get what u bought, you get the latest as soon as available. These minor bugs are the standard downfall for buying new products. At least there's hope for fixing the issues n not just gettn what u got. :icon_evil:

Forwarding texts seems pretty basic. And I'll say it again: My last two phones (LG Glimmer) and an old Moto basic flip phone could send and forward texts to multiple people with ease. For such and advanced phone, something so simple should be included along with it's other much vaunted abilities.

Last edited:
OP
windstrings

windstrings

Reaction score

While I'm thinking about it... the workaround for forwarding is to hold the message with your finger and pick the option to copy it... then go to the contact "or" multiple contacts and paste the message in and hit send.

---------------

what you have to do to send to multiple contacts is start your process from within Handcent.
1. Open Handcent, touch the little icon in the upper left to start creating a send.
2. Now you will see a little "plus sign +" in the upper right corner.. touch that.
3. from there you can browse your most recent, groups, or whole contact list based on which icon you touch from above.
4. check the boxes "on the left" of the contacts you want to send to..
5. If you now hit the menu you will see a "end select" icon or you can just simply hit the return icon on the phone in the lower left.... it will keep the selections.
6. Now type your message and hit send.

Special settings:
1. I like go go into settings and have the selection ticked to "split 160".
this allows sends of greater than 160 characters as it will automatically send it as a second or even third send.. or whatever it takes.
2. Just above that setting is the "Auto convert to MMS". If that is selected it will allow for pretty large file, picture sizes to be send without worrying about adherence to the sms size limit.....Not sure how big that limit is.. but I've sent pretty big files.

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
While I'm thinking about it... the workaround for forwarding is to hold the message with your finger and pick the option to copy it... then go to the contact "or" multiple contacts and paste the message in and hit send.

Found out how to do it! Thanks for the tip on holding the message with the finger. Instead of copying, select Forward and it brings up the '+' sign. Not elegant but works!

Thanks Windstrings!

Last edited:
OP
windstrings

windstrings

Reaction score
Your welcome!..... I was trying to respond the the send you must have edited.. but I am able to send attachments just fine.
I do have the box checked to "convert to mms if over 3 sends long".. so when I click on a large picture it converts it to MMS to keep the original file size rather than shrinking it down to sms size.

The only way I know of to send mulitple pics is to do it from gallery and pic multiselect but then it makes it a slideshow.

OP
windstrings

windstrings

Reaction score
Found out how to do it! Thanks for the tip on holding the message with the finger. Instead of copying, select Forward and it brings up the '+' sign. Not elegant but works!

Yes, your right... I forgot the forward option is there.

Thats one thing I have to finally adjust to.... doing things differently.....
I hate changing once I get something I like.

Stormy Knight

Reaction score

Yes, your right... I forgot the forward option is there.

Thats one thing I have to finally adjust to.... doing things differently.....
I hate changing once I get something I like.
Ain't it the truth?