Text navigation w/o pad

madonnell

Reaction score
One real annoyance I continue to have with the Pro is the lack of navigation keys when I am editing text, including cursor movement (up/down/left/right) and text selection (for copy/paste/etc). The little magnifier thing when you hold your finger on the text does sort of work, but I find it rather imprecise and annoying when I simply want to move a few characters over. What I really want is to map a few alt-keys to give me navigation controls (obviously, would then need a way to reach the symbols I mapped over), but I don't see a tool to do this. Best I came up with was an app called SoftKeys, which, when correctly configured, gives me a small screen icon, which, when long pressed, brings up a nav pad on the screen. So-so. Anyone else come up with anything better? Along the same lines, anyone know of a really flexible key mapper that support side keys, keyboard keys, soft keys, etc?

jwgraves

Reaction score
Agreed. Drives me crazy when I've typed up a whole bunch of text in the browser and all I want to do is enter one word between two others. For the life of me, I keep touching between these two words and I'm always off by a character or two. I click and click and click and just can't get the cursor to get right between the words. And I have pretty skinny fingers. It's about the only time I ever miss my old BB trackball.

travisn000

Reaction score
Last edited:

Freak4Dell

Reaction score
I'd love to see a future generation of the Pro come with hardware keys for the Menu, Home, Back, and Search keys, and incorporate a directional pad between them.

conswo

Reaction score
I'd love to see a future generation of the Pro come with hardware keys for the Menu, Home, Back, and Search keys, and incorporate a directional pad between them.

Originally there is a touchpad at the back, like the one shown in the verizon accessories. However I don't know why they take that out in the retail version :icon_eek:

mbd4524

Reaction score
One real annoyance I continue to have with the Pro is the lack of navigation keys when I am editing text, including cursor movement (up/down/left/right) and text selection (for copy/paste/etc). The little magnifier thing when you hold your finger on the text does sort of work, but I find it rather imprecise and annoying when I simply want to move a few characters over. What I really want is to map a few alt-keys to give me navigation controls (obviously, would then need a way to reach the symbols I mapped over), but I don't see a tool to do this. Best I came up with was an app called SoftKeys, which, when correctly configured, gives me a small screen icon, which, when long pressed, brings up a nav pad on the screen. So-so. Anyone else come up with anything better? Along the same lines, anyone know of a really flexible key mapper that support side keys, keyboard keys, soft keys, etc?

Seems that "softkeys" requires rooting. Any apps that do the same thing that don't require that?

conswo

Reaction score
There is an app called virtual trackball in the market, which obviously requires root. Although the app is far from perfect, it can do the job of a basic track ball ;-)

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
There is an app called virtual trackball in the market, which obviously requires root. Although the app is far from perfect, it can do the job of a basic track ball ;-)

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

Useful information, thanks.

redf239

Reaction score
maybe try....

z arrow? if thats the kind of app ur looking for? check it out, it helped me with what i needed to do, which is similar to what i think ur saying.

OP
M

madonnell

Reaction score
goos feedback

All,

Good info.

I'm trying z arrows right now. Better than my soft kbd solution.

Going to look much closer at the keyboard remapping travisn000 referred to (got to start thinking like a linux/unix user vs a cellphone user). That seems 'ideal'.

fingershop

Reaction score
Where can I find the z arrow app? I googled but don't find it anywhere.

Btw, I used an app called ButtonRemapper to change my Voice key to a Down Arrow key, so now I can finally edit previous searches or form field entries.

lalala11

Reaction score
Z arrow

Hi, everyone.

I tied Z arrow. It worked, but my problem was that when I had Z arrow set as my input method (which you need to do to make the "arrows" work), I wasn't getting spell check or autocorrect. I uninstalled because of that. If that doesn't bother you, then it is a pretty good app, except for the fact that it said it could track anything you ever type, which was creepy. Functioned well, though.