text mssgs 160+char being delivered out of order

ShowTime

Reaction score
My old phone would only send the first 160 characters of a longer text to non-vzw recipients and send me the standard vzw message. I was excited that my Droid would split the messages and send them all, like every other person I know's phones did. But over the last several days I've sent several such messages to friends and they've all said that, while they do get my original message split up into smaller texts, they come out of order and sometimes more than a minute apart, making them harder to understand. Anyone else experienced this?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yup. happened with my blackberry to. it's not a droid thing, that's verizon.

Dmoralize

Reaction score
Since when does it break up messages to non-vzw phones? Mine just cuts off those messages after 160 characters. As I understand it, that's a vzw issue.

The way I fixed it is by using Handcent which has an option to automatically break up all 160+ character messages into multiple texts. It's actually the only reason I use Handcent as i'd prefer the stock app otherwise.

Spyte

Reaction score
From my minimal experimentation, typed in about 300 random characters and it only converted to mms after the keyboard was opened. Didn't try sending to see if it would break it up or not, assume it would if the msg was too long for sms but too short for mms. (Shrug)

eliassami5

Reaction score
sorry to jack the thread but is there anyway to cancel and sms after sending it? like my old phone would show a mail envelope when i hit "send" and i'd have like 3-5 seconds to cancel the sms incase i accidentally hit send. I dont see a way to do that on the droid, but if someone knows of a way that would be cool.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Verizon and SMS are not good friends. Sorry guys, it bothers me too :(

As said by a previous poster; handcent. I send people msgs; moving photos, sound, 160+ word text, every thing and they get it. My bro is on att with the iphone and he is get it all with out a problem. The developers of handcent did a good job.

Mickeylynn

Reaction score
Does anyone notice using handcent their Driod being slower? When I had it I would be typing but no words were showing up then all of a sudden BAM everything was there. I was also having problems downloading pictures. I would have to open them in my stock msg.For this I found myself more annoyed then just not being able to text over 160 characters. LOL Is this just my Driod? Handcent? Or a setting??

Dmoralize

Reaction score
Does anyone notice using handcent their Driod being slower? When I had it I would be typing but no words were showing up then all of a sudden BAM everything was there. I was also having problems downloading pictures. I would have to open them in my stock msg.For this I found myself more annoyed then just not being able to text over 160 characters. LOL Is this just my Driod? Handcent? Or a setting??

I've noticed occasional lag when I start typing but not enough for it to really concern me. Never had any issues with images. I frequently have long messages so I need handcent's ability to break them up. Frustrating that its a known issue with vzw. I wish someone could just add that functionality to the stock app.

OP
ShowTime

ShowTime

Reaction score
Since when does it break up messages to non-vzw phones? Mine just cuts off those messages after 160 characters. As I understand it, that's a vzw issue.

The way I fixed it is by using Handcent which has an option to automatically break up all 160+ character messages into multiple texts. It's actually the only reason I use Handcent as i'd prefer the stock app otherwise.

My old LG EnV was the same way, but on my Droid, when I send a message over 160 characters, I get a vzw response text saying it changes it to plain text and sends it in multiple messages. Just obnoxious that they deliver out of order. I like/have no problem with the native text app but I might have to look into Handcent.... or start texting more succinctly.

Dmoralize

Reaction score
I wonder if anything changed when the 2.0.1 update came then. I always got a message saying it was cutting off my texts. I'm going to do some experiments later tonight to see what situations cause each result.

meaker

Reaction score
i thought the Droid was able to split a 160+ text by it's self without handcent? I had handcent and it seemed very slow. it would not be able to keep up with my typing..

OP
ShowTime

ShowTime

Reaction score
i thought the Droid was able to split a 160+ text by it's self without handcent? I had handcent and it seemed very slow. it would not be able to keep up with my typing..

It can. I'm using the native messaging app and it does split them but, the reason for my original post, it tends to deliver them out of order and slowly.